8th grader says he's being recruited~!

ELA

http://www.gomemphis.com/mca/prep_sports/a...2648184,00.html

It is time the TSSAA sits down with every Memphis coach and says enough is enough! PLEASE stop this insane, stupid, type of behavior.... B)

Ware, a 5-8, silky-smooth eighth-grade shooting guard who's averaging 22 points per game this season for Vance Middle, has yet to decide where he'll play his high school ball.

But according to Ware and his mother, he's getting plenty of illegal help in making that decision from high school coaches eager to have Ware join them next season.

"When we were over here (living in Foote Homes), coaches would be swarming around our door," said Delorse Fleming, Ware's mother.

Edited by ELA

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ela,

If this is happening it is wrong and should be stoped. The problem is that the TSSAA officials do not want to go into Memphis and investigate anything. Memphis is a long way from Nashville and the culture of the inner city is to handle the problems from within. The long and short of this is the TSSAA officials don't speak the language of the inner city and are not trusted in Memphis. The attitude from most of the people in the streets is to get what ever you can in return for your services. Memphis had been this way for a long time and I don't see anything changing soon.

Ela,

If this is happening it is wrong and should be stoped. The problem is that the TSSAA officials do not want to go into Memphis and investigate anything. Memphis is a long way from Nashville and the culture of the inner city is to handle the problems from within. The long and short of this is the TSSAA officials don't speak the language of the inner city and are not trusted in Memphis. The attitude from most of the people in the streets is to get what ever you can in return for your services. Memphis had been this way for a long time and I don't see anything changing soon.

I know it is a very different world in Memphis, but this is really wrong and should be investigated. We'll see what happens! B)

This "recruiting" culture, or let me say a "willingness to do whatever it takes" to field the best team has been a long-time feature of Memphis area athletics. Doesn't matter which sport or which age group, high school sports or youth sports, the people in charge there twist rules whenever and however it suits them. It's not just an "inner city" thing. In my book, it's an outlaw situation that will only start to get cleared up when HARD sanctions come down.

This "recruiting" culture, or let me say a "willingness to do whatever it takes" to field the best team has been a long-time feature of Memphis area athletics. Doesn't matter which sport or which age group, high school sports or youth sports, the people in charge there twist rules whenever and however it suits them. It's not just an "inner city" thing. In my book, it's an outlaw situation that will only start to get cleared up when HARD sanctions come down.

As good as the talent level is in Memphis, I don't understand why there hasn't been more success in football with their schools. Melrose had a great run a few years back but not much since then except for one school. I guess all of these programs are fighting one another for the kids? Resources must be few, the last time I played against a Memphis school was in the playoffs back in the late 90's and it was at the Fairgrounds. We traveled over 200 miles and had more parents in the stands than they did!

QUESTION: How many schools in Memphis DON'T HAVE THEIR OWN FOOTBALL FIELD?

• 3 weeks later...
And you guys wonder why the DI privates are upset about the multiplier?

This take the whole "fairness" issue to another level. I guess the definition of the word "fairness" depends on whether your child attends a private or a public school.

You`re exactly right Teddavid. That`s what I`ve been trying to say forever on this board. There are some who have seen the light from my posts, but others who simply have a bias for private schools are blinded by their own self interests.

I don`t complain that my school has to compete against the likes of the Memphis teams (who obviously have distinct advanatges) I merely point out that advanatges exists in every class. I fail to see why private schools are being unfairly singled out.

Recriuting has been going on for years in Memphis public schools. I emember a few years ago when Germantown got in touble for recruiting a baseball player. A family from the school provided a place to live and even bought themom a new car, if I remember right it was a Caddilac. It goes on in the inner-city schools as well. Coaches will try to get athletes from other distrcts to say the live with a family member in their district. To the question about why Memphis schools seem to not do as well as other parts of the state when it comes to playoffs, I would have to say a lack of discipline.

• 2 weeks later...
Yall act like Memphis is the only place where people "recruit". WIth open enrollment an athlete can go anywhere so its nuthin really illegal. The only reason people look bad on Memphis is because its documented. I bet schools in East Tennessee "recruit" also its just not out in the open.

Just because you have open enrollment doesn't exempt coaches from being held accountable for recruiting... IT IS ILLEGAL! Read the TSSAA handbook! No coach can go to a students home and invite him to come to his high school! Even the Memphis Athletic Association (every public school coach belongs to this) has rules against it..