referee decisions determine too many matches

pony20

"lock-in" = patience

There were at least 4 new referees at this year's state tournament. Will there be 100% turnover year after year? No, of course not. For anyone aspiring to officiate at the state tournament here are 10 pointers:

1. Make yourself available to officiate regardless of potential financial loss from your real job. Do as many tournaments and duals as you can possibly work into your life schedule. Be seen and known but not reknowned.

2. Study the rule book and case book numerous times prior to the season.

3. Volunteer to work challenge matches at your local high schools for extra practice.

4. Look professional and act professional at all times. If you look shabby (earrings, inappropriate haircut, out of uniform, wrong colored shoes, no TSSAA patch on uniform, no belt, white socks) you likely will not garner as much credibility as someone who looks professional.

5. Study for the closed book exam. If you don't score high enough on the closed book exam you won't make the list for consideration to officiate the state.

6. Attend the pre-season officiating camp to enhance your skills. Take criticism from the veteren officials and learn from it.

7. The most important thing you can know is that you don't know everything. There is always an opportunity to learn more. Observe officials you regard as great and emulate them.

8. Maintain a calm demeanor on the mat. Be in control but not controlling. If you are taken to the table, be the calming force during the discussion. The coach is usually upset about the call made. If you are upset at being challenged, the discussion becomes a fight and no one wins. If the excitement level is brought down, constructive discussion can be had and the right call can be made. Keep in mind the right call might not be the one you made.

9. Admit when you are wrong. Nothing will get you more respect from a coach than you revealing you made a mistake in a prior match. Even if he did not know it was a mistake, he will appreciate that you don't feel like you are perfect.

10. Don't let emotions get in the way. If you are challenged at the table, so what. If a coach was on your case the entire night, so what. If the fans were on your case, so what. Leave it at the gym and go on with life. This will prevent any emotions from building up after some time and your time on the mat will be more pleasant.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have seen the official that is being discussed on both the high school and the collegiate level. He is by far the best official in Tennessee, if not in the Southeast. For that matter, as a former head coach in Indiana, I know that he is better than the officials there as well. It is over, move on, the wrestlers involved have already moved on, those returning are planning on next year, those moving on to the next level have began their focus for that challenge. We would all be better served by moving on. As for the Scooter Houston issue, I witnessed both, and both instances were embarassing for Scooter, and the Jefferson County program. The correct call was made in both circumstances. Again start preparing for next year and get on with it.

I am not well-read in the rule book, and don't know about this, but is stalling called the same in the second OT as it is throughout the first 6 min.? I have nothing against West, and think he is a wonderful rider. My question is about the officiating being consistent. If he was hit for stalling twice in the second period, why was he not hit for it in 2OT? It seemed to me when he was hit in the second period, he was working halves and crossbodies, while in the second OT, he was sitting with a crab and not working anything. So, is there no stalling in the second OT?

I stand corrected on the Scooter Houston Ref.

I still disagree with the talents of the official that was calling the Davis match. As far as the coaches or score keepers bringing this up - they did! Did you not see them talking at the score table. Look at the tapes, there were 3 cautions called against the Mont Central kid for false starts. A point should have been awarded and the match should have ended immediately.

Man...what a tournament, that I had to miss!

No, the second OT isnt called the same as regulation, but you wont find that in the rule book. Case book.

In the second OT (30 sec) the match will be determined. If the offensive wrestler can RIDE out his opponent, he is declared the winner, and if the defensive wrestler earns an escape, he is declared the winner.

I have read the posts concerning stalling, and we have had quite a discussion this year on this board about it.

From the stands...it appears to be, from the coaches chair..it appears to be, but when you are on the mat with them, it FEELS different. Definitely a location thing.

At that level, no one wants a match determined (especially refs) by a subjective call we have to make. We do not want to determine matches.

But, if we do call it, we determine it, if we dont call it we determine it, huh?

So....wrestlers make it easy on us. SHOW us he is stalling. Keep moving, trying to improve, trying to score.

I count on the wreslters to demonstrate things to me, i.e. stalling (on his opponent), control (for takedowns/reversals), hustle (that he is NOT stalling), and so on....I would advise coaches to coach with this ideal.

Many, many thanks to all those who kept things posted here so I could keep up while out of town. And to TSSAA for updating their web page consistantly.

reftn

Edited by reftn

Reftn,

Please educate me...

It is my understanding that refs are trained to look for certain visual clues to help them make a correct call. For example, a ref told me that he looks for three points of contact to make an out of bounds call (ie. 2 arms + 1 leg or visa versa).

Are there any tell-tell signs to help determine stalling on top or bottom?

I think I understand from earlier post that if the top guy has in legs he has to work a specific arm or he will be called for stalling after about 10 seconds.

I've seen where the bottom guy has been called for stalling after continually grabbing the top wrestler's hands.

What should we look for?

Why can't one of the officials sit at the scorers table during the finals to be sure everything is being recorded correctly ? This would have prevented the controversy of the Davis/Sanders match. What a shame ! Everyone in the section I was sitting in knew it was the 3rd caution against Sanders !! Too much at stake to let something like that decide a State champion. If nothing else, the tape should have been reviewed.

Coach Moorman-I respect and admire your candor on this issue. I think the bleacher-bound zebras could learn alot from your integrity and character.

I saw my share of mistakes at the tournament. They will happen at every tournament. "Going to the tape" has no place in our sport. I realize the refs are not equal-there were clearly a few officials who did their job, as head or assistant, better than others. That's the nature of the beast. By the same token, I saw some strong officiating as well.

Congratulations to all of the coaches and wrestlers for a great tournament.