13AA/7AA Challenge Series

CoachD33

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ouch, no love for DeKalb. They are in way over their heads though. First of all I am not saying anything negative about the challenge series. In every post that I have put on here I have actually said that I wanted to see it. And I still would. I just think it will be a whitewash. I really don't know about how much revenue would be produced off the game because of the travel especially that early in the season. Hall of Fame week would be the only week that it would happen, but another reason why it may not happen is financial. 3 teams in 7aa travel out of state at Christmas to play and those trips aren't cheap. I don't know if they will be making any money off of a series between the 2 districts but I think if they can make just a dollar then they should play it. But I have always said that I would like to see it, I've just said that I don't think 13aa is the 2nd best district in the state and I don't think that 13aa would win a game out of the whole series. But if you can find a good format to play it under then as the rednecks say "get er' done." I will say that a series between the 2 would greatly help out 13aa alot more than 7aa. Now I'm not sure about Westview and Obion's non district schedule, for all I know is that it could be tough, but I do know for a fact that Gibson doesn't play anyone and they desperatley need to get out of their nest and step up and play some teams. 7aa doesn't have that problem because they all play a tough non district schedule. If you guys though can figure out how it can be done just let me know and I'll be there. I would actually like to meet some of you Gibson fans that I have ticked off over the past few months. It would definitely be interesting.

I would definitely like to meet you! I would also like to hear your opinion of how GC can get out of their nest (that was according to you) and be considered competitive.

I would bet that some of the local colleges (UT Martin in the West; TN Tech in the East) would be willing to host such an event. It would be great opportunity for the colleges to see talent that might be overlooked on recruiting lists. Universities are always looking for Community relations ideas. They could keep concessions and a cut of the gate. Everyone would get a piece of the pie and that would make them all happy. Just a suggestion. Im all for it.

Edited by PowerSet

I'm not buying that line thing that you all were doing one bit. Of course 7aa would sweep, but as I've tried to say in past posts I'm not arguing that they shouldn't play because of one district being ahead of the other, I would love to see the teams play. And my man 7aa watcher is right on about inviting 5aa into the mix. It would be interesting for sure. I bet it could be worked out with Tech and Martin because colleges coaches are always excited about getting people into their gym to check out the facilities and about seeing highschool talent play in their gym instead of travelling all over to find talent. I think it would be a win win situation for players, fans, college coaches, and anyone else involved. The only draw back there would be is that the gate from the games if you had them at a college site would go to the college mainly. Of course you would like to keep that money in the highschool's pocket, but if it would work then lets do it. By the way BB, I think you all up at Gibson would love having me around up there. The ones that wouldn't want to kill me would like me I'm sure :justwrestle: ;)

Now I'm not sure about Westview and Obion's non district schedule, for all I know is that it could be tough, but I do know for a fact that Gibson doesn't play anyone and they desperatley need to get out of their nest and step up and play some teams.

Just so you know, Westview and Obion Co do play tough non-district competition. This year, Westview played Harpeth Hall (27-5), USJ (29-5), Chester Co (26-9), and Dyersburg (19-11). All of those made it to at least Sub-State. HH played in the Div II State Championship. Westview also played in a Tournament in Oxford MS, and one in South Carolina.

Obion County played Bolton (21-10), Livingston Academy (37-2 AA State Champs), Oliver Springs (32-6), and Dyersburg (19-11). They also played Metropolis, IL who regularly goes deep into the IHSA tournaments.

Both of these are in addition to the others in 13AA (Gibson Co & Crockett Co, both state tournament participants this year.) Im not saying that 13AA is superior, but to say that we don't play any outside competition makes you sound like you need to get your racket re-strung.

Your right, my racquets restrung, they are a few pounds under the tension that I like but thats a story for another time. I wasn't talking about the other teams in that district. I said specifically that I didn't know who all they played, I was talking about Gibson in particular. So don't get all edgy on me. Just make sure you read carefully what I said :justwrestle:

Ok....I listened long enough......here it goes....

If someone would get the coaches from 7AA to clear their schedule, I will make this happen. The first year, we would host this at UT-Martin during the Thanksgiving break when there would be no conflicts. The next year we would play this event at TN Tech. I am sure that both institutions would do their part to make this happen. What we need is someone from 7AA who will work with the group of coaches over there...that Jim Brown would be one tough guy to sell this too...not to mention Lesley Smith who probably has her team already committed for next year.

This would be a monumental task, but one that could be done with enough help. We need corporate sponsors (WCMT maybe) to take care of some expenses for us. I will begin taking the names of people who can help us put this together....so send me a private message telling me who you are and what you can bring to the table. If we have enough people to help, we can pursue this great endeavor.

We could always take some 7AA teams for the Lions Club tournament at Christmas.......that would be another way to spice up that tournament. Just another idea... :unsure:

What's your point?? This thread is not about comparing districts or who has won the most gold balls.. This is about some quality basketball teams getting together for what has the potential to be some great competition.. :D

uh...i do believe the thread is comparing the 2 districts....and i am tellin you that 7AA would sweep this no problem....top to bottom...even ol DC....we r tough...i'd be confident against alotta AAA districts.....but....we'll see....maybe next year things will finally be different.... ;) ...