13AA/7AA Challenge Series

CoachD33

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is going to be ALOT of work done before you hear any anouncements that it is a done deal, it is far from that at this point. However, getting the coaches to agree to it is the first step towards making it a reality. I will feel really good about if we can secure a venue for this in the next few weeks.....will keep you posted as news arises.

Sounds good to me too. Thanks to the ones who [/b] did the work. Contacting the schools and getting this thing off the ground. All I have been doing is adding my support to a tournament that should be a fine display of quality AA girls basketball.

If it is held in West Tennessee I'm pretty sure the gym at GC would work....it seats about 2500 or so. Westview or Dyer County may work as well. I'm sure 7AA has some facilities that could handle this too. Never been in Dyer County's gym, but its only a couple of years old. Not sure how many it seats. Have they changed the policy of having food and drink in the stands? Does anyone know? Don't know if I could watch a game and not have some nacho's and a drink at least!!!

Edited by gcfan2

Yes it is true, Dyer County is in and ready. Hall of fame Saturday, with preliminary thinking that UTM will be the site for 2004. The goal will be to play seven games in one day.

Maybe we can do some sort of Cup, like the Ryder Cup in golf, to be held by the highest seed winner of the district that takes 4 out of 7 games. The Cup can be held for one year. This would make it even more entertaining to the already prideful fans of the respective districts. We have been mulling this idea since before the state tournament.

Just to let everyone know that it will not be a tournament format. It will be a single game for each school, based on seeding to be determined by coaches from the respective districts.

What do ya'll think about the CUP idea? :)

Edited by twhoops

Oh yeah....the CoachT Cup.

How will it be 7 games, there are only 6 teams in 13AA, and 7 in 7AA. # 7 will probably get left out of the mix.....

How about the odd team out came come over and play one of the good WEST TN 1A girls teams in the area.. If nothing else it would be a much needed game that both clubs can have on their schedules.. :D

no to steal anyone's thunder on here, but from what I've heard this concept was being tossed around by the coaches months ago so to name it the CoachT Classic because these boards were the reason this is coming to fruition is a little forward

BUT,

I do think that maybe these coaches did read these boards and one or more of them said "OK, enough talking about it, let's get it done." So in that essence, at least these boards did spur someone(s) to action.

As for the ryder cup idea, it is appealing but with a couple of drawbacks:

1) reclassification may dramatically reconfigure these districts, I have heard everything from JC and Upperman leaving 7AA to Union City leaving 13AA along with several teams (up to 4) joining 13AA. In 2005-06 7AA could have 5 teams and 13AA could have 9 or 10. This would hinder a continual 'Ryder Cup' idea because which 5 teams in 13AA do you leave out? If you say the top 5 13AA teams get to play the 5 7AA teams then it would be top-heavy for 13AA which wouldnt be fair to 7AA. any plan this year would have to have a followup plan next year at the venue of the district who travelled this year

2) the 'Cup' pales in comparison to the 'Gold Ball'. i'm leary of a physical representation of any 'winner' of this event for several reasons: a) everyone will know which district wins the most games and the boards will be filled with enough pride for the winning district. :D which school gets to keep the 'Cup"? c) what meaning does the 'Cup' have if the winning district doesn't send a team to state or the losing district wins state or another district wins the state

honestly I see #1 as being a much greater issue with one solution being to make this a Mid-Tenn vs. West Tenn classic regardless of class

If there are major changes when reclassification happens, then yes, you could use this as a west vs middle type of event and have some of the top teams invited each year...but let's wait and see what reclassification has in store.

There is a very good possibility that Jackson County and Union City will move to 1A, and Trenton Peabody and Dresden up to 2A.

Yes, the gold ball is still every teams goal, but I'm not sure about crossing off the idea that a cup be put up for grabs. It sounds like an interesting idea.