Strength Coaches

Eddie Van Halen

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think high schools need strength coaches. All most of the ones I know do is push kids to get on diet supplements and try to gain weight. Most of them just make up some crazy lifting routines that are really hard so the kids think that guy knows what he is doing. All you really need is a chart on the wall and let the guys go do their thing!! Let's spend the school systems money on something more important like a good headphone system for the coaching staff.

Edited by mustangfan

mustangfan,

I can tell from the tone of your post that you know very little about a good strength & conditioning program. The 1st coach that an athletic director should hire would be a certified strength & conditioning coach. The most successful athletic departments in the USA will have a great strength program because it builds the foundation for everything that is done. The teams that have the strong & explosive athletes will win the most games.

I don't think high schools need strength coaches. All most of the ones I know do is push kids to get on diet supplements and try to gain weight. Most of them just make up some crazy lifting routines that are really hard so the kids think that guy knows what he is doing. All you really need is a chart on the wall and let the guys go do their thing!! Let's spend the school systems money on something more important like a good headphone system for the coaching staff.

Amen, brother. That's exactly what I say. When I was a kid we didn't need to lift b/c we were tough. Bear Bryant had a terrible weight program and look at how many title he bought, I mean won. I think strenght coaches are just a racket. It's kinda like youth ministers: everybody has one b/c evrybody else has one, but we all know they're both as useless as nipples on a boar hog. It's just good-ole-boy job security.

Furthermore, all weights do is make you a muscle bound neandratal that can't wipe his own butt.

Schools ought to save their money and buy their kids somehting that'll really help them, like more uniforms.

R U serious?????????? take a look at the top 10 teams year in and year out in any state in any class and ill bet you 90% of them have outstanding weight programs.

Eddie

You confuse me, some of your post are really good and insightful, but then you post something really silly like the one above. A good strength coach, first and foremost, is like a youth minister--he is there for the kids. Yes we have a strength coach, BUt not because everybody else does, but because he helps us. We start in 7th grade. I could bench the bar (45 lbs.) in 7th grade when I first started. By the start of 8th grade I could do 115 lbs (that is two of the bigger plates on each side). My goal was to get to 135 lbs. by the end of the year. Because One, that was my weight then, and TWO, it looks cool when the girls BB is lifting in the same weightroom when you have a big plate on each side.

Anyway, I made my goal because we have a strength coach he cares about us. Thanks for your help, Willy.

As most of you can already tell, Eddie Van Halen and Mustangfan must be the kids that are always trying to find a way out of lifting weights. Making excuses like telling coach he is going to bathroom and he stays for 13 minutes and he comes out when he hears the coach say "Rotate". He comes back in after missing the power clean station. But he will talk a big game. Strength coaches are vital, wether they are certified, or a coach on staff that pushes the kids to work hard. The kids who cheat their way thru th e weight room are the ones who usually get left out when they are seniors and the other have passed them by. But they will always say: "When I was in school, I WOULD'VE been the best"! Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda. EXCUSES.

As most of you can already tell, Eddie Van Halen and Mustangfan must be the kids that are always trying to find a way out of lifting weights. Making excuses like telling coach he is going to bathroom and he stays for 13 minutes and he comes out when he hears the coach say "Rotate". He comes back in after missing the power clean station. But he will talk a big game. Strength coaches are vital, wether they are certified, or a coach on staff that pushes the kids to work hard. The kids who cheat their way thru th e weight room are the ones who usually get left out when they are seniors and the other have passed them by. But they will always say: "When I was in school, I WOULD'VE been the best"! Woulda, Coulda, Shoulda. EXCUSES.

well said 1stdown.

Strength coaches are essential whether they are certified or not. You win or lose games in the off season and pre-season with strength and speed programs. No, the "Bear" didn't use them much, but neither did anyone else. If you don't take the weightroom serious today, you don't have a chance to be successful on the field.

At Maryville Wayne Thompson is the secondary coach. He is also the strength and conditioning coordinator. Strength and conditioning is very important. It is a big reason why Maryville is winning. Maryville has a structered weight program now. Tim Hammontree is the one who got it started. George Quarles and his staff is keeping up what Hammontree started.

In the late 80s and early 90s when Maryville struggled Maryville was always getting pushed around. Sevier County,Halls and some other teams used to whip Maryville all the time because they killed Maryville on the LOS. Sevier County and Halls still have those big strong boys. Now Maryville is strong up front.

For years Maryville has always had great skill position players. Even their 5-5 teams had very good skill players. But! They would get whipped on the LOS because the other teams were much stronger and physical at the time.The LOS is where you win and lose games.

Van Halen must have been joking b/c you can't really be serious when you say that weightlifting is not important and you will become a muscle bound and can't move! What a riot. THat is the old school thought process for sure. Could Eddie be a B-ball coach who doesn't want his kids lifting because he is afraid of what he knows nothing about? WEll I am a head coach right now and I run the strength and conditioning program at my school. Before that, I was a D-coordinator, secondary coach and strength coach for the previous school I worked for. THe thought of a football player becoming a muscle bound freak that can't move is ridiculous to me. What coach wants a player on their team that can't move? Really it does not matter if you can squat a house if you can't move 6 inches to block someone. Strength and conditioning entails more than weight-trainingg at our school, and almost all high schools for that matter, you have plyometrics, agilities flexibility training and conditioning. Coaches no more than ever about the development of athletes than ever before. You may have been able to get away with not lifting in the good ole days b/c basically no one lifted. Now a daysa almost all high school teams lift and develop their athletes if you are not then you are falling behind everyone else. I could sit here and write a book about why strength and conditioning is important in sports and give examples of college and pro athletes but I will save room for others.