Intentional Hitting a Player

coachflo

All I'm talking about is the head dude. I also watched a game where the same batter got hit 3 times by dipping his forearm into the strike zone. He got on base all 3 times. When I'm behind the plate, that's a strike.

You guys that are 'aiming at the earhole' are the ones I'm talking about. If you're doing that, you're playing with fire. Go back and read the entire thread Hey Blue....

Edited by ksgovols

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just so we all remember how this thread started was a player was intentionaly hit AFTER another player hit a home run. No showing up the pitcher, No I'm better than you, No look you gave up a home run. Just a teenager who is not mature enough to understand he can't get everybody out. So he takes it out on someone else. He better have good control because if he hurts someone it maybe a difficult prove in criminal court, but civil court has a whole different set of rules. Your parents may have to give away your college education because your suppose to hit the very next batter after YOU give up a home run.

what someone really needs to do is ask the coach at white co (the one who started this whole thing) if the entire story before everyone loses their cool. it would be highly unlikely that you could win a lawsuit criminal or civil by claiming that the batter was hit on purpose. it would have been nice to be having this conversation if the entire situation had been pointed out to start with and not 1 side by the losing coach. oh by the way how was the revenge against cookeville friday night?

Hey Blue, What part of the story did I leave out??? I told nothing but the truth. If you have a question or a different opinion then ask it. I didn't start the thread cause we lost. That was not a concern of mine. It was over and done with. I was only concerned with the safety of my players. If that makes me a bad coach then so be it. I am not a sore loser. I am able to admit when a team out played us, not make excuses. I also want to point out that I never said it was Cookeville's pitchers decision. I believe the kid is a class act. He does appear to be a great kid. My personnal feelings is that it came from the dugout!!! So Hey Blue if you want to bad mouth me then post your feelings on the situation and I'll be happy to comment on them.

And to answer your question about the revenge, hey you guys hit the baseball. What can I say you out played us. Congrats on the win and good luck the rest of the tourn. I would love to see you all make it all they way. Also let me add that I don't have any problem with any of the kids that play for Cookeville. I know several of these kids, cause I went to Cooperstown with them when they were 12 and umpired a tournament up there. So I have no problems with the kids. Good luck Cookeville players, I wish nothing but the best for you.

As far as the Cascade vs Forrest incident. Forrest's pitcher, Mikey Minor hits a home run in the second inning for the games first run. He is hit squarely between the numbers by not one but two Cascade pitchers. Just a little side bar here...Mikey struck out 17 Cascade batters in the previous meeting and he struck out 10 in this one. I guess if you can't "hit" the pitcher...you hit the pitcher. Of course thats all after the incident where the Cascade player at an earlier game cussed out all the Forrest players including Coach Morgan. That thread lasted about 3 days here before it was removed. Funny, I don't think the player was removed.

Edited by Vultor

I know my opinion doesn't really mean anything but I am gonna put my two cents in anyways. I think there is a time to throw at a batter. Throw it inside and dust him back if it hits him then it does but the inside pitch alone should deliver the message. I think this should be done in very few situation such as the other team stealing when up a large number of runs, a team celebrating way to much over a homerun(showing the pitcher up) such as players on the bench runnin there mouths to the pitcher after he gave up a homerun, the guy that hit it may be better but i am pretty sure the guys on the bench have no room to run their mouths. So throw inside to the next batter. But as far as you people saying it is way to much of a injury risk, I don't want to hurt any feelings but I'm sorry grow up. I think there is a much higher risk of a third baseman or pitcher being seriously injured or killed by a line drive off a bat than a batter getting hit in the nose and driving cartiledge back in his brain or whatever it was you were saying. I am by no means saying it will never happen but there are much greater risks I personally think the biggest risk and should be the biggest concern is a third baseman or pitcher getting killed by a line drive because i have seen some shots hit. Or an outfielder could lose a ball in the sun and take it right on the head, there are alot of risk when there is a little hard ball flying around at high rates of speed. Just take it, it's a part of the game and if you can't handle it go home, "There's no crying in baseball"

I think there are times for the purpose pitch but if it's just 'cause your ego is fragile, well, find another game. Bowling, maybe. Or golf. Or checkers, better yet.

I think it's appropriate to move a hitter off of the plate. I think it's appropriate to throw inside when a hitter is leaning over the plate, and if he gets plunked, well, so be it. And if the other pitcher is whacking your kids, well, there's nothing wrong with self-defense.

But I think the bean-ball wars are overdone. Gee whiz, a kid is waving his bat in a way you don't like? A hot-dog stands and admires his long ball for too much time? Please. Come on, get over yourself. If you hit someone over that, it just means that you aren't man enough to take losing and you aren't man enough to learn from losing. And you certainly are admitting that you aren't man enough to beat the guy you hit.

You're getting beat and a kid steals a base? So you whack the batter? Somebody hits a long ball off of you, and you don't like it? You object to the color of the other team's uniform? Go ahead, throw at somebody. Personally, I think that does send an important message. And the message is this: you are a weenie.

As far as to Vultor. The Forrest vs. Cascade incident. The thread that was called Cascade has no class, was deleted. Seems like your hiding behind this thread. But

we are only hearing part of this story. Yes this player cussed but only to the first baseman after the first baseman was laughing at some of the Cascade players like how short our left fielder was that night. But cussin the whole team including the coach I was told different. But you seem to have left out a small piece of this story

when you all came to Cascade, first pitch to this player "he" was hit square in the back. Coincedent maybe. But from where we were standing I don't think so. But

you didn't see us get on here and start a thread or hide behind a thread to talk about this sitiuation. And as far as the player cussin the other player "I" personally

took care of this. I hope the parent of the first baseman that was making fun of the Cascade player, can say the same thing. I hope hitting of players is over with

because I feel "both" coaches should sit back and look at where this might end up going.

Coachflo, all i was saying is that it was your side of the story and we never got to hear the other side, you know as in defense of the so called "intentionally called from the dugout". I comend you on wanting to defend your players but wasn't both teams warned not to throw at ANYone else, if so then both coaches would follow them home early? do you know for sure the pitch was called from the dugout or are you just assuming? or did he just lose his grip on the ball? on the night in question was wet, cold, hot, or humid? all these conditoins must be asked before you accuse someone of intentionally calling a pitch that might hit a batter let alone of accusing the kid of doing so. i think we've beat the poor horse to death on this so let die in peace.

Mom197 I'm glad to hear that someone took care of the cussing incident. Thank you for that. As far as my information about the incident I can only go on what I saw and what the players including my son tell me. As far as that player getting hit at Cascade I don't know. I couldn't make that game, but I can't say it wasn't intentional. I can tell you this. I have only seen a Forrest pitcher throw really tight inside to send a message once this year. I was very proud of Mikey for keeping his composure and not retaliating. Nobody wants to feel one of his fastballs in the back or anywhere else. There is an intense rivalry between Forrest and Cascade and I don't see it cooling down until we can get through some of these games without incident.

Some of you guys are painting your opinion based on which team you're pulling for. I don't have a dog in the hunt with any of the teams that have been mentioned in this thread. I'd rather read unbiased opinions than 'who shot Willie' scenarios.

Getting injured by a 'shot' while pitching or playing third is a whole different discussion. That's incidental. If the bats are legal, then the consequences of those injuries are not due to the batter. The bat manufacturer? Maybe. It's a safety issue, to be sure, but not one that's in the control of any player on the field. Throwing 'INTENTIONALLY' at the batter is the discussion at hand. The intent may be hard to prove, but there's evidence enough on this thread that some kids are throwing at batters just cuz. That doesn't cut it.

In another thread, everyone is all over the kid who threw 183 pitches in a game and how damaging that could be to his health and worried about the 'safety' of the kid. Too bad these same folks don't take the same approach when it comes to the safety of the batter. As much as throwing at the batter is argued as 'part of the game', counting pitches is relatively new. Old school baseball guys certainly didn't count pitches. Why the discrepency? When I pitched, I got alot more satisfaction watching the guy walk back to the dugout after an out than to first after I plunked him. I still contend this is media related. Too much Sportscenter.

Edited by ksgovols