BA 2004

Just wanted to start a little buzz on this thread again so I'm just gonna give my preseason awards/predictions, feel free to argue with me or give your own, we just need some discussion on BA.

Offensive MVP = Barry Turner- with unproven receivers and a young running back look for Bowker to look to Turner early and often, whether drawing double teams, catching passes, or clearing a hole for the backs Barry gets my nod for the most valuable offensive player. others: Bowker, Ford, Forte

Defensive MVP = Tyler Griffin- This was a no-brainer, if he plays full time d, like most expect him to, he will be dominant. He can change the momentum with a big interception or his signature big hit, he makes opposing receivers think twice about going over the middle. others: Cason, Murphy, Turner

Surprise Player = Tremayne Townsend- Came on strong late last year, has a chance to be a great corner. He also could contribute as a returner and could help fill some holes on offense on occasion, look for him to secure a starting job at CB and help out all over the field. others: Searcy, Semenya, Kottas

Best Position: Defensive line- Every starter returns, along with all the key backups and many youngsters vying for playing time. This group will be strong, fast, smart, and very deep. And with teams focusing on trying to stop Turner from his end position, look for Murphy, Forte, Burris, Butler, Huie and the rest of the guys to come up with many sacks and forced fumbles, that could change games. others: Offensive line, QB, secondary

Overall season prediction: The Centennial game could be a struggle with a lot of young guys making there first start, but I look for us to pull it out, even if BA doesn't it will serve as a good motivator/wake up call, and won't hurt in the standings, after that I look for the team to mature and improve at a rapid rate, rising to each challenge, and getting good enough to beat MUS and MBA, than finnally finishing the season off and bring the GOLDEN ball back to BA.

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well-posted, 705...when are you gonna change your SN to accomodate the new offensive line? B)

BA fans...how about running through each of BA's games and posting a prediction/keys to the game? I'll post the games, think about 'em for awhile, and let you guys have the first posts.

Centennial

Oakland

@Christian Brothers

McCallie

Independence

Father Ryan (Ryan home game @BA)

@MUS

Lone Oak, KY

Baylor

@MBA (Week 10 is definitely where this game belongs)

How do you change it? I've been wanting to change it for awhile but i didn't know you could. And I might go away from the long string of numbers- it's rough on people using my name in other posts.

as for the games, i've already given score predictions on another post, but as for the keys to the games:

Centennial- Play under control- opening day, young team, tough opponent, home crowd, sounds like a recipe for players to try to do too much, we gotta just play our game and take care of buisness ( and def. don't give up an opening kickoff TD)

Oakland- Don't take them too lightly because of the blow-out last year.

CBHS- Hang on to the ball! No more needs to be said.

McCallie- Play smart, their offense is complex, but we've had success recently, keep doing what we've been doing.

Independance- Show up

Father Ryan- Realize this isn't the same Father Ryan of the last few years, play hard and smart and try to put them away early.

MUS- Realize this game could be a pitfall, the last two years we've dropped one game to a division team each year, and this could be it. But knowing that, we have to treat it like a playoff game and realize playoff positioning could be on the line.

Lone Oak- Play hard early, put them away, get ready for the homecoming dance.

Baylor- Stop Braswell, don't let him get loose and run all over us, if we can do that we should be fine.

MBA- Obviously prepare hard, and play hard and don't let emotions get in the way. We should play as hard as possible but not tip our hand on any plays or strategies we might use oh say.. 2 or 3 weeks later.

Wes

I am not a BA fan but I thought I would add my two cents worth to the schedule--at least as to what I know in Chattcity. 705's comment about McCallie's offense being complex surprised me a bit. From what I have observed, it looks to me that they have several "strategies" in the office and which strategy is used depends in some part upon the weakness of their opponent. Not necessarily complex, just effecient and perfectly executed just about every week. If you gear up to stop the option, they throw the ball well but if you try to stop the passing game, they option you to death. The running game has been stronger the past few years although they threw the ball very effectively last year.

Maybe " complex " isn't the best word, but tough to prepare for probably fits better. Because we have to prepare for the option along with a solid passing game, and most teams don't have both. Chattcity... what do you think about Baylor this year, I haven't heard much. And Wes, are we gonna hear your analysis any time soon?

Maybe " complex " isn't the best word, but tough to prepare for probably fits better. Because we have to prepare for the option along with a solid passing game, and most teams don't have both. Chattcity... what do you think about Baylor this year, I haven't heard much. And Wes, are we gonna hear your analysis any time soon?

705, you're the authority on BA football now. Your analysis comes before mine anyday. Yeah, I'll stick in my thoughts sometime soon, but first I need to do some more research so I don't look foolish (I may look foolish anyway). It's killing me, but I'm going to be so busy in Knoxville that I probably won't be able to make it to a single BA game this year -- it'll be the first time that has happened since I was in 3rd grade, maybe earlier.

Chattcity, nice description of McCallie's offense. I definitely agree that their version of the Wing-T doesn't so much rely on overt deception as it does misdirection, strength, and flawless execution. They won't leave you staggering in your cleats, but their goal is to keep you off balance, behind the play, and praying they'd turn it over -- a wish they rarely grant. I've never seen them throw effectively, but BA's great secondaries of the past few years probably discouraged Coach Potter from taking to the skies. They'd probably air it out more against the Notre Dames and Baylors of the world.

Good projections, 705. I'll probably post mine tomorrow since I'll be bored at work. :D

Well thanks for that comment Wes, it's pretty easy for me to know my BA stuff when I'm around all these guys i'm talking about almost everyday. I just hope I can help out the team some this year on the field, and I hope you can make it down for a game or two, I hear there's a pretty good one going on in late November.

BA looks sharp. whats going to be their starting lineup this year?

If you look back on page 2 or 3 of this thread I put a projected starting lineup for BA- and somebody else later in the thread posted one for MBA-it's nothing set in stone but should give you a pretty good idea of who at least most of the starters will be.

I've heard a rumor from one of my teammates that a very important, valuable player on the team has decided to quit for unknown reasons- as soon as I get confirmation that this is true or untrue I will let you guys know, but until than I don't want to say any names because I don't want to spread it if it is not true. It's not somebody who we couldn't function without, but it would still be a dissapointment if it is true.

Well unfortunelty the rumor is somewhat true, senior Stephen Burris, a two year starter and projected starting defensive tackle will not be playing this year, but it is due to a nagging shoulder injury-not him just simply quitting. This is a huge loss for the team- but it can be overcome as I said earlier the d-line is the deepest unit on the team and Josh Butler is just as qualified and will most likely be taking over Stephen's spot- and the underclassmen are going to have to step it up to help fill in some of the depth lost.

That whole "shoulder" business is a lame excuse. If you recall there is a player on BA's team that has had 2 shoulder surgeries. I don't believe he is giving up anytime soon.

Burris is clinging on to a hope for a future in baseball. It is that simple, but it seems like you use your shoulder more in baseball. I'm upset that this rumor is even out.

He better not quit because he knows the kid with the shoulder surgeries will beat him up. ;)

It's not really a rumor... I talked to him in person and he told me he is not playing this year due to his shoulder problems... I'm not speculating, so unless he totally changes his mind he will not play this year. And the way it sounds to me is he pretty much has the choice to play football and never play baseball again or not play football and keep playing baseball, so it was just a decision he had to make- I obviously don't particulary like his decision either but it was his call and I don't consider it a lame excuse not to play.