Possible Classification changes!

Francis

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maryville may be scared to move up to 5A. They can dominate 4A football, especially when they play weak 4A teams from Upper East Tennessee and Chattanooga in the playoffs. However, if they had to play in 5A, they would have to play a strong 5A team from Middle TN (such as Riverdale) in the playoffs before they could reach the Clinic Bowl. We'll see if they want to stay where they are and continue to dominate, or if they want to move up to 5A and see how they stack up with other programs that have large rosters and comparable depth like they do.

I doubt they're scared to play anyone. All I could gather from the numbers is that they're borderline 4A or 5A, and it may take some time to see how many 1A privates move to Divsion II to see if it affects the larger schools. I think Smith, Cannon and the rest should stay 2A. If they did, it would probably put them in a Class 2A, Region 4, with CPA, FRA, EH and the rest in a Region 5. Those teams wouldn't be seen until a possible state title game in that case, but Boyd-Buchanan would still be an opponent possibly in the first three rounds.

What region would Maryville drop into?

I don't know how it would play out, but from what i've heard from some of the Maryville folks I know they would prefer to be in region 2 so they could develop rilvalries with Oak Ridge and Farragut. From the outside looking in, that would seem to be a natural.

gator: I don't think Maryville would be afraid to play any 5A school. I know they would do well. They regularly scrimmage Oak Ridge and DB in the fall and have done well. They would be one of the higher ranked teams. Can they beat a Riverdale? I don't think this year, but some years they may.

It has always been my contention that the top half dozen or so programs on a year in and year out basis, could move up a class and still have good success. Look at Ridgeway last year, they made the playoffs in their first year of 4A. Don't you think that Hillsboro would be a tough out in mighty middle TN 5A.

Edited by medman

I don't know how it would play out, but from what i've heard from some of the Maryville folks I know they would prefer to be in region 2 so they could develop rilvalries with Oak Ridge and Farragut. From the outside looking in, that would seem to be a natural.

I would like to see them play in Regon 1. Especially considering they already play William Blount every year, and would have to fill and extra spot with that game. Region 1, from top to bottom, is stronger year in, year out.

Hey FatCat--I drove past Greenbrier's field yesterday and was pleased to see that the visitor bleachers are being refurbished. As much as I love going to Greenbrier to play, those bleachers were a disaster waiting to happen.

Good luck this season. I would love to go to Murfreesboro in December to cheer on both White House and Greenbrier.

You aren't the only one. I hated just having TO LOOK at those old nasty things!

We are putting in aluminum seating with kickboards to boot on the existing framing. The aluminum is due in the end of this week and we'll probably start putting them on after the 4th. No more bad press in the Tennessean, I hope!

This will be the last time for a while we'll both get to compete for seperate championships. Looks like we'll be competing for the same region championship starting next year!

I understand that it is a possibility of Spring Hill falling back into 3A -- Don't know where the numbers came from but that is what I have been told. Could that shake up Region53A ????

McTigerfan,

That is not what is going to shake up Region 5-3A. What is going to shake up our region is the fact that so many teams around the North Middle TN area will now be in 3A (some moving up and some moving down) and the same thing happening in your area. Looks like this will be the last year for the Tigers and Bobcats unless we meet in the playoffs.

The following teams should be 3A in the North Middle TN area:

White House

Greenbrier

Station Camp

Pearl Cohn

Goodpasture

Sycamore

David Lipscomb

Creek Wood

Cheatham Co.

Montgomery Central

Macon Co.

That is 11 teams, so I am sure out of that group, you won't see Sycamore, Greenbrier, Creek Wood, or Montgomery Central anymore. And Page will be 4A, although I am sure y'all will still schedule each other given the rivalry.

Obviously, this is still all up in the air depending on who decides to voluntarily move up in class. Regradless, I suspect we will not be in the same region starting next year.

Also, looking at the 3A teams in your area, there doesn't seem to be too many. So, you may still get some of those North Middle TN area teams in your region.....like David Lipscomb and Goodpasture. The other teams in your area I saw were:

Marshall Co.

Giles Co.

Spring Hill

Grundy Co. (a stretch)

Who knows, I just may have to plot all 60 potential 3A schools and see how it lays out into potential regions. This may be a tough one!