Possible Classification changes!

Francis

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mctigerfan,

I have now plotted all the 3A schools and dropped off those that moved up to 4A last time and added those that moved up to 3A last time. That leaves a total of 59 3A schools upcoming.

There is no telling how they will break out the regions, but my guess is the following:

East TN (2 Regions)

Region 1-3A

Carter

Claiborne

Pigeon Forge

Rutledge

Scott Co.

Seymour

Sullivan North

Union Co.

Region 2-3A

Austin-East

East Ridge

Fulton (if they aren't 4A)

Gibbs

Howard

Kingston

McMinn Central

Sequoyah

That then would leave the Middle TN 3A Regions as:

Region 3-3A

DeKalb Co.

Jackson Co.

Livingston Acad.

Macon Co.

Smith Co.

Trousdale Co.

Upperman

York Inst.

Region 4-3A

Cheatham Co.

Creekwood

David Lipscomb (if they aren't in your region)

Goodpasture

Greenbrier

Montgomery Central

Pearl Cohn

Station Camp

Sycamore

White House

Region 5-3A

Cannon Co.

David Lipscomb (maybe, if they want to try and balance out numbers)

Giles Co.

Grundy Co.

Marshall Co.

Spring Hill

Also, the way I mapped it out, Regions 6, 7, and 8 will be shifted around a little.

Region 6-3A

Bolivar Central

Chester Co.

Jackson SS

Lexington

Liberty Magnet

McNairy Central

Region 7-3A

Crockett Co.

Dyer Co.

Dyersburg

Gibson

Haywood Co.

Obion Co.

Ripley

Region 8-3A

Covington

Frayser

Hillcrest

Mitchell

Sheffield

Trezevant

Fayette-Ware

Of course, this is all a guess. Still too many variables at play over the next two months. Pearl Cohn may decide to go back to 4A. One or two of the Region 3 teams may decide to stay 2A instead of moving up this time. Elizabethton, Unicoi, and Greeneville may decide to stay 3A instead of moving up again. You get the picture.

To me, the biggest challenge is how to align to schools in the south central and south eastern part of the state.....they are so far apart and so few of them. I could also see them leaving Grundy in a 5 team Region 3-3A comprised of them, East Ridge, Howard, McMinn Central, and Sequoyah. Of course, that would then throw Marshall Co. back in the mix with Northern Middle TN schools.

When you're Maryville in 4A, it's a little easier beating a Greeneville, Hixson, Rhea Co., or a Halls twice in the same season than it would be to beat Riverdale, D-B, Jeff. Co., or Oak Ridge twice, especially when you have twice the number of players than most teams you play, and the players don't have to play both ways. We all know that playing D-B and Oak Ridge in scrimmages is not the same as a real game.

As for the Maryville fans, I'm sure the majority would much rather see good, competitive games against the likes of Oak Ridge, Jeff. Co., D-B and teams of that ilk instead of seeing 40-0 and 50-10 blowouts all the time. However, dominating 4A like Maryville does, maybe the administration would like to stay there because it means more playoff home games, bigger gate, etc. It would be interesting to know how the Maryville coaches and administration feel about moving up a class.

If Maryville's enrollment figures place them in 4A, we'll see if the powers that be have the guts to move up to 5A, or if they choose to remain in their comfort zone.

Sorry, but I screwed up in my earlier post regarding mid-state 4A teams. The Overton I listed is Memphis Overton, not John Overton from Nashville. Johnny O is a 5A school, not a 4A. My bad.

Anyway, I also left out Page and Hickman Co. I am curious as to how the 'BrainTrust' of the TSSAA will divide these schools up. Will they use I-65 as the boundary or I-40? Will they take a south, middle, and northern approach? I know that they will do what is in the best interest of the schools involved and try to eliminate long trips! :lol:

It will be difficult because of the fact that these 21 or so schools are spread out from the KY border to the AL border and from the plateau to the TN river.

While it would not be my first choice, here is what I think will happen.

Beech, Portland, Sprinfield, Hillsboro, Whites Creek, Stratford, Maplewood, Mt. Juliet.

Henry Co., Hickman Co., Kenwood, Clarksville, Clarksville NW, Rossview.

Ravenwood, Page, Independence, Shelbyville, Tullahoma, White Co., Lawrence Co.

For personal reasons, I would prefer, (like what any fan wants matters,) to see

Beech, Portland, Springfield, Kenwood, Clarksville, Clarksville, NW, Rossview, Henry Co.

Hickman Co. Hillsboro, Mt. Juliet, Stratford, Whites Creek, Maplewood.

Ravenwood, Page, Independence, Shelbyville, Tullahoma, White Co., Lawrence Co.

And Page will be 4A

With the opening of Independence the numbers at Page should drop back to 3A numbers, so we will be stuck with Page forever, I'm sure

McTigerfan,

I heard about Independence taking away numbers from Page. But, it looks like that won't take effect for another year or two. The numbers I am working off of are from the TSSAA website classification page. The link is Enrollment Numbers for 2005-2009

That is what they are going to use for at least the first year or two until they make adjustments for + or - 20%. It is only fair that Page has to play 4A for a year or two because they played 3A the last two years with 4A numbers.

Maryville will stay in 4A if they can...It boils down to one thing....Money!!!!

If Maryville has to move up to 5A that will be great....BUT....We would be nuts to move up to 5A if we are not compled to do so because of the greatly increased travel cost that we would incur. Not to mention the increased cost to the great Community that support the team.

I know that this is not going to satisfy all you roosters crowing about us moving to 5A....but it really is that simple..MONEY...MONEY....MOOONEEY.

If that does not make you happy....call the TSSAA...We are not to blame for the crazy classification system.

High school sports is about local rivalries. I for one am glad that most of our games are local...it should be that way across the state. Why would we move to 5A and have to travel 100 miles one way several times a year when we can spare ourselves the expense/Hassle...to play teams..well that no one knows/cares anything about anyway.

That was one of the best points of the Z-Plan....bring back local rivalries

Hey, if it will make you feel better write a check payable to the Maryville Booster Club and fight this injustice...no contribution too small.

Maryville will stay in 4A if they can...It boils down to one thing....Money!!!!

If Maryville has to move up to 5A that will be great....BUT....We would be nuts to move up to 5A if we are not compled to do so because of the greatly increased travel cost that we would incur. Not to mention the increased cost to the great Community that support the team.

I know that this is not going to satisfy all you roosters crowing about us moving to 5A....but it really is that simple..MONEY...MONEY....MOOONEEY.

If that does not make you happy....call the TSSAA...We are not to blame for the crazy classification system.

High school sports is about local rivalries. I for one am glad that most of our games are local...it should be that way across the state. Why would we move to 5A and have to travel 100 miles one way several times a year when we can spare ourselves the expense/Hassle...to play teams..well that no one knows/cares anything about anyway.

That was one of the best points of the Z-Plan....bring back local rivalries

Hey, if it will make you feel better write a check payable to the Maryville Booster Club and fight this injustice...no contribution too small.

So basically Maryville does not want to come out of their comfort zone? We have to travel to either Johnson City, Kingsport, Jeff. Co., or Sever Co.(2 of the 4 each year) and you think that doesn't have an impact on our play? Maryville needs to get wher it belongs and come up and play with the big boys. I know for a fact Maryville can certainly afford to travel just as well as a Sevier County or Karns can. So its not travel costs. Its time to step up.

When you're Maryville in 4A, it's a little easier beating a Greeneville, Hixson, Rhea Co., or a Halls twice in the same season than it would be to beat Riverdale, D-B, Jeff. Co., or Oak Ridge twice, especially when you have twice the number of players than most teams you play, and the players don't have to play both ways. We all know that playing D-B and Oak Ridge in scrimmages is not the same as a real game.

As for the Maryville fans, I'm sure the majority would much rather see good, competitive games against the likes of Oak Ridge, Jeff. Co., D-B and teams of that ilk instead of seeing 40-0 and 50-10 blowouts all the time. However, dominating 4A like Maryville does, maybe the administration would like to stay there because it means more playoff home games, bigger gate, etc. It would be interesting to know how the Maryville coaches and administration feel about moving up a class.

If Maryville's enrollment figures place them in 4A, we'll see if the powers that be have the guts to move up to 5A, or if they choose to remain in their comfort zone.

I think it is funny that you use Riverdale,DB and Oak Ridge for your examples in 5A but you use Greeneville,Rhea County and Halls for your examples in 4A. Why didn't you name MOWest,Knox Central and Cleveland for 4A teams. Those are very strong teams.