New Classifications for 05

ELA

Our new head coach just got back from the annual coaches rules meeting in Jackson and he thought they said that in 05 they were only going to have four classes in DI? Has anyone heard this rumor out of the TSSAA? I've been away from everything for a few weeks and if this is true, it will mean that every region in all four classes will have 10 teams, leaving only one non-region game to schedule (unless they break the regions up where you don't play everyone in your region). Has anyone heard this?????

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I ran the numbers (quickly) and if this is true, here is an idea of what it might look like:

Class A: all small schools through Alcoa (411)

Class AA: Houston County (412) through Greenbriar (782)

Class AAA: Unicoi Co (786) through Cleveland (1180)

Class AAAA: Rossview (1187) and up

Wow, that would change things drastically.

There will be a whole range of reactions, some schools will love it as it will be to their benefit if they fall just under the threshold, others will hate if if suddenly find they have competition they did not anticipate facing.

Add in the uncertainty of which privates will switch to Div II and you can quickly become very confused.

With 4 classifications, my guess would be more DI privates will go DII.

825296560[/snapback]

For the most part I agree, however for some this 4 classification scheme might be beneficial.

I have not worked the numbers but I think Goodpasture would stay in Div 2A instead of moving up to 3A. Also more of the smaller 1A privates would remain in 1A.

I have not worked the numbers but I think Goodpasture would stay in Div 2A instead of moving up to 3A. Also more of the smaller 1A privates would remain in 1A.

I looked into it and you are right about this keeping Goodpasture in 2A, but I don't think that any of the privates that will come up from 1A will drop back down. 4 classes would come to about 72 teams per class, and the #72 team on the list is Richland at 442, and the smallest private above them on the list is CAK about 8 or 9 spots above that.

Here in Cumberland County, we are building a second high school that will be done in 2007.  it would cut our numbers in half from 1900 to 900-1000 what would happen to our divisional status, would we stay 5A until 2009 or would we have the option of going to 3A or 4A depending on numbers

825296571[/snapback]

Wow, I hadn't heard about that. Any idea on the name?

Looks like Maryville will finally have to move up and play some real competition..no disrepect to the teams they play..But there is just no competition for them right now..Lets see how they do against teams like Oak Ridge and DB..Teams of that sort.

825296573[/snapback]

Hillsboro,Knox Central,Melrose,MOWest,Cleveland,Mem East. No competition there B)

QUOTE(ruber34 @ Aug 2 2004 - 03:11 PM)

Looks like Maryville will finally have to move up and play some real competition..no disrepect to the teams they play..But there is just no competition for them right now..Lets see how they do against teams like Oak Ridge and DB..Teams of that sort.

Hillsboro,Knox Central,Melrose,MOWest,Cleveland,Mem East. No competition there 

agreed