Byrd quits Tusculum

THE KING

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think they're limited to 35 total scholarships in Division II, but they're not a limit on how those 35 can be divided. I'd guess many of the players would get partials if they made the cut, but some would have to remain walk-ons with no official athletic aid. There's lots of dollars out there for students with low or no income families, maybe that helps out things.

Never saw Mark Byrd play, but just because he quit college football doesn't mean he was over-rated.

Was Ricky Williams at Maimi over-rated?

825301485[/snapback]

Very well put, Dive. Mark was one of the best (and probably THE most agile) athletes I've ever seen. He's a classy young man, and will find his way through this.

I'm sure he gave much thought to this very difficult decision, fully recognizing there will be nay-sayers galore; but what's new?

I have no doubt of Mark's ability to play for Tusculum, or many other places for that matter.... but you have to take your heart with you, or follow wherever it (and God) leads. Mark will be fine.

Tusculum, or even the house next door, can sometimes seem a thousand miles away.... from home.

Mark, GOOD LUCK AND GOD BLESS!

Kim

Never saw him play football, did get to see him on the diamond. He looked like a very good athlete. Being big man on campus and then moving away from home to a place where you are just another player is not the easiest thing to do, at any age. I'm sure if he is the kind of player and person that I hear that he is you can bet he will be alright in whatever he does. We as sports enthusiast should wish him well instead of saying stuff like "he overrated" especially when we don't know the circumstances. Good luck Mark Byrd!

Mark Byrd, is one of the best football players ,if not the best, to ever come out of Roan Mountain. I really don't care why he came home. He done something most of us could not do, he got a football scholarship. If he didn't feel good there I am glad he came home.

I hope he can talk to coach Clarke at Milligan and get a baseball scholarship. I only know of one other person from Cloudland,that played baseball there.

It doesn't matter if he plays football, baseball, or just goes to school, I think he has exceeded his commitment to the community. He gave us somewhere to go every friday night, for the last four years.

We will probably continue to go and look for the next BYRD.

THANKS MARK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thumb thumb thumb thumb

now i agree that mark was a great football player but baseball? you got to remember we play nobody in baseball except for unaka and they drill us every time. unaka had no players play baseball in college and they had players like chambers and lewis who were great baseball players. why are they not at milligan. mark just needs to take some time to sort out things but i dont think baseball is in the cards

now i agree that mark was a great football player but baseball?  you got to remember we play nobody in baseball except for unaka and they drill us every time.  unaka had no players play baseball in college and they had players like chambers and lewis who were great baseball players.  why are they not at milligan.  mark just needs to take some time to sort out things but i dont think baseball is in the cards

825302408[/snapback]

Chad Lewis is playing baseball at King College

Very tough for any kid to be the big man on a small campus and expect to be the same big man at the next level. I am sure Mr. Byrd was a great small town athlete but at the next level most of those guys were the big men on campus! And bye the way we are just talking about Tusculum, a great small program but one that does produce some top notch players. I wish Mr. Byrd the best.

• 1 month later...
I think they're limited to 35 total scholarships in Division II, but they're not a limit on how those 35 can be divided. I'd guess many of the players would get partials if they made the cut, but some would have to remain walk-ons with no official athletic aid. There's lots of dollars out there for students with low or no income families, maybe that helps out things.

825301667[/snapback]

It is 36, I believe. However, the South Atlantic Conference has limits on top of that that make the total a LOT less. The schools make up for it by giving out a lot of "institutional" aid.