WORST HEARTBREAKING LOSSES

westtn2004state

It has to be Trousdale vs DCA playoffs, not sure of the year 88 or 89. Trousdale winning inside the five yard line going in to put salt in the wound on the last play of the game. Oh my, fumble on the play, Scooter Edwards picks it up goes 99 yards to score as the horn sounds. DCA wins goes on to win the state. Has to be most heartbreaking loss of any I have ever heard of.

825306483[/snapback]

Nah...TC had the ball on about the 20 of DCA and they ran a double reverse. They fumbled the ball in the backfield at about the 25 or 30 and Scooter Edwards picked it up and ran it all the way back. That is one of the few bonehead plays the Satterfields have ever called.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Union City vs. Alcoa....State Championship game

UC comes in undefeated and ranked number 1....Commences to stink up all of Murfreesboro in the first half and trails 27-0 at halftime....

Completely dominates Alcoa in the second half ... comes from behind and trails Alcoa 27-20..Has the ball inside the five time running out 4th and goal Mario McLrath (Mr. Football Award Winner) takes the ball to the 1 ft line and is stopped by a kicker(no less)..Turnover on downs and Alcoa survives....

UC vs Tyner...State Championship

Same as above 14-0 Ranked #1 in the state.....

Tyner completes a pass in the last 2 mins of the game after continuing a drive on a horrible roughing the passer penalty and wins 13-10

Obion Co Central vs Brighton 2nd round of the playoffs last year at Troy,TN.

OC has just won its first playoff game in school history by beating Mem Kingsbury and face a Brighton Cardinal team it trashed a couple weeks earlier in Brighton..And lose 15-13 ending an otherwise successful season...The looks on the kids faces after that game was heartbreaking....

Union City vs Milan ... 1983 Senior night at Union City....

I was a senior on the UC team ..we were 6-1 and Milan was 6-1..The winner advancing to the playoffs..Back then only the champion of the district went to the playoffs...Milan,coached by legendary John Tucker, beats us 14-0 in a driving rain storm...I will never forget Coach Tucker coming into our locker room after the game and telling us how well we played and that the better team didn't win that night....Class guy...

I have several and they all stem from one rivalry

1995 - MBA v BA - Austin Kemp stuffs Max Fuller on a fourth down option play in overtime that sends the Eagles onward to face a mediocre Jefferson Co. team in the Clinic Bowl.

1998 - MBA v BA - Clinic Bowl - Heavily favored Brentwood Ac. sees Benji Walker's pass deflected at the line of scrimmage and picked off by senior Cole Barfield to clinch the game for the Big Red. BA needed a field goal to win.

2000 - MBA v BA - Clinic Bowl - Ingle Martin and a vaunted Big Red team narrowly escape defeat as Junior Kody Bliss's field goal sails wide. Granted it was from 50+ yds on college uprights, he was making them all year.

2003 - MBA v BA - It's hard for me to even come to grips with how those refs mismanaged that game. Nevertheless, it spoiled the Big Red's perfect season and hopes of a top 5 national ranking. We still thumped 'em in the one that counted though.

HM - 2001 Clinic Bowl BA v McCallie

825306414[/snapback]

That heartbreaker that you mention against BA in 1995 was actually in 1996. I was on the field. That loss still haunts me to this day. To think we were so close to a 5A state title...

Edited by TheBigRedDog

Columbia vs Dickson County, 1978 or 79 I think. Dickson County is leading 27-0 going into the 4th quarter when a big thunderstorm knocks out the lights and muddies up the field pretty good. When power is restored Columbia scores 4 unanswered touchdowns (Manuel Young may have scored all of them) plus the extra points and win 28-27. Everybody in both counties claim to have been at the game (which was in Dickson) and it's a conversation starter to this day!

I hate to even talk about it but the most heartbreaking lost is when Austin East lost to Seymour in the 2002 Playoff game. AE was the defending state champs looking to get back to the championship that year but Seymour beat'em in OT 14-7. It was heartbreaking.

:D

Another lost would be last year in the third round of the Playoffs to Fulton 12-7 in OT. AE was ranked #1 in the state and was underfeated.

I hate to even think about those two losses but I posted them for you.

Rutledge lost three games by one point in 2002...one of them in 4 OT's...and missed the playoffs for the first time since 1994.

Another one that comes to mind is a 20-19 loss to Sullivan North in 1997...led for most of the game and lost the lead in the last minute...had a 40-yard FG attempt blocked as time expired...had a chance to get homefield and couldn't due to that.

Biggest heartbreaker in my mind (at least that I played in):

2000, Lake County vs. Obion Central. Lake County, a huge underdog going into the game at Troy, led 34-30 and had the ball with just over 1 minute to play. On fourth down, punter Greg McClure got the ball down to Obion Central's 18 yard line...but the play was called back for illegal motion. The Falcons backed up five and kicked again....only to have the kick blocked and returned for a game-winning touchdown. That game still haunts me to this day, and probably will for the rest of my life.

One other heartbreaker:

1984, Lake County vs. ECS (2nd round of playoffs). ECS returned the opening kickoff for a touchdown and it stood up. FInal score, 7-2. Lake County had two touchdowns called back in the game, one for a very questionable block below the waist and the other when Joe March went down to a knee to pick up a fumble before returning it for an apparent touchdown.

Columbia vs Dickson County, 1978 or 79 I think.  Dickson County is leading 27-0 going into the 4th quarter when a big thunderstorm knocks out the lights and muddies up the field pretty good.  When power is restored Columbia scores 4 unanswered touchdowns (Manuel Young may have scored all of them) plus the extra points and win 28-27.  Everybody in both counties claim to have been at the game (which was in Dickson) and it's a conversation starter to this day!

825306708[/snapback]

It was 1978 and it was the first game of the season for both teams. The thunderstorm came during half time. Dickson Co was ahead 20-0. Dwight Holt returned the 2nd half kick-off for a TD, and after the extra point, DC was up 27-0. Then the wheels absolutely came off and Manuel Young did score four times to lead the comeback (Some days I feel like I am still chasing him down the sidelines and have not caught him yet). You are correct in the fact that everybody claims to have been there, and the stands were packed when the game started, but there were only about 50 to 100 people still there when the game resumed. I tell my players this story at least once a year when we have a big lead at halftime. It not only was one of the biggest disappointments in my playing career at DC, but was also one of the moments I feel unified the 1978 team. As you may remember, we were coming off consectutive losing seasons and the 1978 team rebounded from this loss to post a 7-4 record and an appearance in the Lebanon Mid-State Bowl (back in the days where only district champs went to the playoffs) against Hendersonville. DC football has been strong ever since.

Fairview High's most heartbreaking loss was in the 2nd round of the 2002 playoffs against McKenzie. We were coming off a huge upset over 3rd ranked Huntingdon and were leadin all of the McKenzie game until late in the 4th quarter. Here is the story line, we are up 8-0. Five minutes to go in the game and we force McKenzie to punt, on the punt return the ball hits one of our players in the back of the head while he is blocking and McKenzie recovers and scores to force OT. In OT we score, but we miss the two pt. conversion (still baffles me why we didn't kick the PAT). McKenzie gets the ball and we set them back 3 times to force a 4th and 17/ Freshman Drew Hayes connects with a wide receiver in the end zone and they convert the PAT and go on to the Final Four that year. It was a tough way going out as Fairview lost their the year before in the playoffs.