WORST HEARTBREAKING LOSSES

westtn2004state

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2003 state 5A semi-finals. Riverdale at Oak Ridge in the snow. Riverdale has the ball on about the 50, with the lead 17-13 and about a minute to go. It's over. Yeah right. Fumble, OR recovers, converts a fourth down, completes a pass to the five, and spikes the ball. On the last play, OR is five yards away from Murfreesboro, Riverdale runs a zone blitz, linebacker tips the ball End intercepts. Ball game. Worst night of my life.

1999 Tullahoma -Kenwood...it was my last ever football game. we get down 14-0. tie it back up. at the end of regulation we were driving. when the time ran out we were probably 5-10 yards out of field goal range.

we get the ball first in over time. and we fumble the snap inside the one and kenwood reconvers. the first play they trot out the girl field goal kicker, to beat us 17-14 in OT.

Union City vs. Alcoa....State Championship game

UC comes in undefeated and ranked number 1....Commences to stink up all of Murfreesboro in the first half and trails 27-0 at halftime....

Completely dominates Alcoa in the second half ... comes from behind and trails Alcoa 27-20..Has the ball inside the five time running out 4th and goal Mario McLrath (Mr. Football Award Winner) takes the ball to the 1 ft line and is stopped by a kicker(no less)..Turnover on downs and Alcoa survives....

UC vs Tyner...State Championship

Same as above 14-0 Ranked #1 in the state.....

Tyner completes a pass in the last 2 mins of the game after continuing a drive on a horrible roughing the passer penalty and wins 13-10

Obion Co Central  vs Brighton 2nd round of the playoffs last year at Troy,TN.

OC has just won its first playoff game in school history by beating Mem Kingsbury and face a Brighton Cardinal team it trashed a couple weeks earlier in Brighton..And lose 15-13 ending an otherwise successful season...The looks on the kids faces after that game was heartbreaking....

Union City vs Milan ... 1983  Senior night at Union City....

I was a senior on the UC team ..we were 6-1 and Milan was 6-1..The winner advancing to the playoffs..Back then only the champion of the district went to the playoffs...Milan,coached by legendary John Tucker, beats us 14-0 in a driving rain storm...I will never forget Coach Tucker coming into our locker room after the game and telling us how well we played and that the better team didn't win that night....Class guy...

825306561[/snapback]

I remember all of those games, and all were heartbreaking. Maybe another heartbreaker could be what happened to Mario. He went from being Mr. Football as a junior to jailbird and missing his senior year, the punk.

Another UC heartbreaker was the 1976 State Playoff first round game with Memphis Mitchell. It was UC's first-ever state playoff game and it was played at UT Martin the day after a big snowstorm. Snow was piled up on both sidelines, and it was COLD that night. A few first-half mistakes put UC in a hole, and a late comeback was stopped short. Probably a good thing UC lost, though, as Brentwood Academy would have been the next opponent. :D

im gonna have to say maryville vs. mo-west last year, its tough to see a winning streak go down like that in a semi-final game to a team that you cant stand. and my next 2, would have to be the back to back losses that hillsboro faced against maryville, that has to be heartbreaking, especially the second game when MHS came from behind to pull it out

This one will top all others. Hendersonville vs. Madison, 1976, homecoming for Hendersonville. Hendersonville is ahead 6-0 with less than 10 seconds on the clock. They take a delay of game to run time off and punt from their own 30. It's a good kick and the ball rolls to the Madison 25 yard line. Two Hendersonville players are literally on top of the ball to down it and end the game. Madison's Barry Munda (who went on to start at Austin Peay as a Freshman), runs in, scoops the ball up and runs 75 yds for the score. Madison wins 7-6. :(

1995 Riverdale VS Oak Ridge, 2nd round playoffs. Riverdale wins 10-7.

2002 Powell Valley VS Coalfield, 1st round playoffs in OT. Powell Valley goes for 2 and converts. 22-21.

2003 Coalfield VS CAK "The Clockstopper" CAK has 7.8 seconds to go 70 yards. QB drops back, 60 yard pass complete guy runs a few yards ahead, clock stops with an amazing .8 seconds (hence the name "clockstopper").Next play CAK TD. CAK wins 28-27, knocks Coalfield out of the playoffs.

Edited by Ryano44

2003 Playoffs Quarterfinals Blackman vs. Riverdale Blackmans winning 13-10 Blackman's Rico Turner bust a 50 yd play, that we think seals the deal with 3 minutes left but is caught at the 5 yd line and Riverdale stuffs Blackman on four downs Riverdale eventually gets the ball out to their own 45 yd line with 1:30 to go. Riverdale runs a toss to the left side and goes 55 yards and doesnt look back..... they win the game 17-13