New Classes For West Tennessee

Purple & Gold Standard

Since the new numbers for schools and reclassifications were drawn up what do you think the new regions should be...Here is my opinion..Do they make sense and what changes would you guys make??....

Single A:

Greenfield..Gleason..South Fulton..McKenzie..Lake County..Union City

Trinity Christian..Middleton..Halls..Bruceton..Jackson Christian..West Carroll..Fayette Acd.

Triple A:

Obion County..Dyersburg..Dyer Co..Crockett Co..Ripley..Covington

Jackson SS..Liberty..Lexington..Bolivar..Haywood..McNairy Co..Fayette Ware

Did Ileave any out....The new numbers are on the TSSAA web site...

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Since the new numbers for schools and reclassifications were drawn up what do you think the new regions should be...Here is my opinion..Do they make sense and what changes would you guys make??....

Single A: 

Greenfield..Gleason..South <a href='http://www.coacht.com/inside/team.cfm?SchoolID=159&SportID=1' target='_blank'>Fulton</a>..McKenzie..Lake County..Union City

Trinity Christian..Middleton..Halls..Bruceton..Jackson Christian..West Carroll..Fayette Acd.

Triple A:

Obion County..Dyersburg..Dyer Co..Crockett Co..Ripley..Covington

Jackson SS..Liberty..Lexington..Bolivar..Haywood..McNairy Co..Fayette Ware         

Did Ileave any out....The new numbers are on the TSSAA web site...

825311691[/snapback]

Sounds like a good plan with the regions.. very competitive.. I don't know how they'll hash out 1A with Bruceton @ Halls currently in the region with West Carroll,

South Fulton, Lake Co., Greenfield and Gleason.. With McKenzie dropping down to 1A, they may be put in the same region with Bruceton @ West Carroll as they are all in the same county which would make for a very tough region.. The Weakley County schools along with South Fulton , Lake Co and possibly Halls could form a region along with Union City.. Speaking of UC, will they stay in 1A or decide to play up?? With depleted numbers and the likes of Milan, Humboldt @ Westview on the docket, it's probably a blessing for the Golden Toradoes to play in 1A.. :blink:

Region 71A

Bruceton, Trinity Christian, Jackson Christian, Fayette Academy, West Carroll, Middleton, Perry County

Use Madison County as the center and fan out north and south. The Travel would be easier for those listed.

Region 81A

Greenfield, Gleason, South Fulton, Lake County, Halls, Union City, McKenzie

Use Highway 22 as a main travel route.

Halls is actually closer to LC & UC than to most of the 71A schools. Besides, if they use Hwy 51, they'll be able to connect in UC to all of the schools. Plus, a quick cut over from Dyersburg and the Tigers are in Lake County.

Some of the traditionalists in UC are not wanting the Tornadoes to move down to 1A...they use the 2000 season as a reminder in that UC had maybe 440 students and made it to the 2A finals. They also talk about the crowds for games like Greenfield & Gleason.

But these schools do draw well for their size and bring more people than say the Tornadoes opponent this week - Hillcrest. Plus, UC will still have Obion County Central and Westview on the schedule and maybe even Huntingdon. Those gates will always be big.

Those are the two sides to the arguement about UC moving to 1A...I believe the administration and coaches are supporting the move to 1A in all sports. Look for it to be a reality in 2005.

PS: redbirdfan - @ = at & = and - just a little constructive criticism!!!!

Also remember that report = update.

It will interesting whay the TSSAA will do....They don't always seem to use their heads when they draw up regions and districts.....I see big crowds with Greenfield Gleason Lake County..huge crowd with South Fulton.....

Just a thought....With Obion Central staying 3A and UC dropping to 1A...Other than the gate....What is the advantage of the Rebels continuing playing UC...Its a no win situation for OC...If they win they are suppose to because they are bigger..If they lose its looked as an upset because a 1A beat a 3A....That argument has been used in other match-ups between big and small schools....In the past why wouldn't a UC play say Bruceton or USJ when UC couldn't find an opponent to play???Maybe they were a little worried one of those teams would beat them....Of course teams will line up to play UC now.....

Anyway OC plays alot of 2A teams...Westview,UC(now),McKenzie(now),Humboldt and Tenton.....I would like to see them move some of those 2A teams off the schedule and play up in their own classification....

If Peabody had fallen to Class A it would've been a no brainer with them joining UC in 8A and shifting the Carroll county schools to 7A and being a 7-7 split. With 13 class A teams I see McKenzie as the wild card. Do they keep the three Carroll countians together or send the Rebels west. I think Perry Co. will go across the river and play with the schools they play basketball with.

7AA become a Gibson/Weakley affair "sounds great for 101.3 & 97.7" with Milan, Humboldt, Peabody, Gibson Co., Westview, & Dresden. 6AA has only five teams in this scenario with Huntingdon, Camden, Riverside, Adamsville, & USJ. They might find a school across the river that would travel to avoid the new AA "alphabet schools"!!!!

AAA now would have 14 teams and if they split 7-7 I see Haywood joining Dyersburg in 7AAA with Dyer, Obion, Crockett, Covington, & Ripley. "Tough region" 6AAA would have Liberty, Southside, Chester, McNairy, Lexington, Fayette-Ware, & Bolivar.

7-4A would drop to five teams with Brighton added to JCM, Northside, Munford, & Hardin Co.

Class 1A North

South Fulton, Union City, Greenfield, Gleason, Halls, Lake County

Class 1A South

Fayette Acadamy, West Carroll, JCS, McKinzie, Middleton, TCA, Bruceton

*send Perry County to middle Tennessee

Class 2A North

Trenton, Huntingdon, Dresden, Humboldt, Westview, Gibson County

Class 2A South

Riverside, Adamsville, Camden, USJ, Milan

Class 3A South

Chester Co., McNairy Co., Liberty, South Side, Lexington, Boliver, Fayette Ware

Class 3A North

Crocket Co., Obion Co., Covington, Dyer Co., Ripley, Haywood Co., Dyersburg

Now basketball will really be interesting. All of the various possibilities can make ones mind go numb! LOL

Ok, first of all, you are all assuming the TSSAA will do something that makes sense. When's the last time that happened? .... All of your alignments have merits, which mean none of them will be used by the TSSAA. Remember, this is the same organization that said it was basing its football alignments for postseason on the least possible travel in the opening rounds and then had a region-region pairing that would have potentially put Stewart County (near Ky. border at Land Between Lakes) in a first-round football matchup with a team EAST of Chattanooga. .... The TSSAA will use, again, Highway 51 as its dividing point for all things west of the Tennessee River. .... The idea of a North-South split with Jackson as the dividing line -- an idea that makes perfect sense -- is one the TSSAA won't consider unless all other options fail. And, don't be surprised if USJ gets a free ride in the new alignment. After all, doesn't Ronnie C. have a relative on the coaching staff there? ...... Again, all of you who have posted came up with great ideas and scenarios .... which means none of them will be used.

As far as UC moving down to 1A .... I'm back-and-forth on this one. I think it's probably about time for the basketball team. UC's current hoop situation reminds me of the early and mid 1970s, when the classes were Large and Small and UC, which had good teams, could not advance b/c they were playing the likes of JCM and Haywood in the regionals. Now, a small UC school has the likes of Haywood, Covington, etc. (schools twice its size) in the regionals. So, 1A in hoops with flexibility in the sked to keep some of their traditional rivals is good. Besides, it will help the competitiveness and scheduling of the other NW Tenn. 1A schools. As for football, UC is way down right now and 1A might be the short-term answer to get the program going again. But, UC is a 2A school in football. It's facilities are built for 2A and above. Its a shame to see them drop down from that standpoint. And, I've been told that the school's enrollment numbers are being brought down by one class -- this year's senior class which has less than 100 kids. All other classes in the system right now, except for one in the elementary school, have over 100 kids. So, a 1A move might not last long.

UH-OH! .... UH-OH! .... UH-OH!

Did anyone see Memphis Manassas hanging around in the Class 1A football classification? If I saw it right, that is the only Memphis public school in 1A. The sensible thing to do would put Manassas in a region that included Middleton and Fayette Academy. But, again, when was the last time anything like that happened at the TSSAA headquarters??? Don't be shocked if the TSSAA comes up with a region that tries to connect Union City, Halls and Manassas (remember what I said about Hwy. 51). After all, this same brilliant mindset at the TSSAA that currently has a basketball district that includes Middle College of Memphis, Trenton Peabody and Lake County.

Maybe Manassas will play up. It's not like they're ever gonna win anything anyway. :)

Edited by NWTennSports