Should girls play?

TigersBball42

If a girl wants to play, give her the chance, but don't let her use her sex as an excuse to cut corners. Stereotypically (sp?) girl just arn't built for football, neither mentally or physically, but there are some exceptions out there, i'm sure. I mean, there's guys out there who play football and play like girls, so we might as well let girls play. They should be givin' the same oppritunity as a guy, but face it, most girls just wouldn't me able to compete.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Girls should play football

By: Kim Grisafe

okay...here goes *stepping up on the soapbox*

That is good...hide behind the "safety" smoke screen to keep your team "female free", but we all know the real score. It is just like what some men used to say when women wanted a legal right to vote, "Well we just don't want them (women) having to worry their pretty little heads over matters of the state".

Football is VERY competitive here in Southern California...a lot of NFL players come out of this region, in fact, out of the VERY league my daughter plays in. She is the QB for 13/14 year olds and has just lead them to the Division Championship. I have to say it is ALWAYS a pleasure when we beat a team that has a coach with your mentality! It happened a few weeks ago...a team that has been undefeated for 2 years (last year no one even scored on them) lost to us. Those coaches were actually yelling things at my daughter DURING the game! She threw an 80 yard TD pass, another 35 yard TD pass and threw 2-2point PAT passes. That shut them up! The funny thing is...my daughter does not even play this sport to prove a point..she just LOVES football..plain and simple. It is only when we come across such closed minded thinking that she gets riled up and wants to prove that she CAN play the game. It really makes me wonder why people fret over this...I think it is simple! Put her out there and see if she can handle it. If the girl can...then fine...if she can't, then fine...but don't make a sweeping judgement on all females, then, just because some girls can't hang with the game.

Believe me Coach Hernandez, it is the ideas and philosophies of coaches and parents that cause boys to be chauvinistic...and those attitudes towards girls spill over into everyday thinking. Boys do not think lesser of girls because they are born with that thinking...it is taught to them in very subtle ways. I know the male ego is one that you have to tip toe around, but, I assure you....not one boys' masculinity is threatened on my daughter's team by her presence there! Females are nothing to be afraid of...they just want to be allowed to dream the same dreams that males have....even if those dream are sometimes "unconventional" ones...like wanting to play football.

*stepping down from the soapbox*

Just some notes to educate thats all, some girls can hang, some cant.

Edited by recruitguru

I see this one both ways.

1) I think that girls should be able to be on the team if they are good enough. Now as for some of the people that said girls could beat the snot out of most guys, I highly doubt it. Males have so much more muscle mass and build more muscle quicker than females.

2) Of course I could almost guarantee you that if you let a girl on a boys football team, they still won't let a boy on the girls volleyball team. And they say guys are sexists. Another thing is when I played Jr. Pro football for the Murfressboro Mustangs, we played Mt. Juliet and they had 2-3 girls on their team. On the first play I ran over one and I felt so bad that when I had to block her, I was scared to go full contact. It may not be fair to some people like me who go easier when they go up against a girl.

Edited by bhsOL

I see this one both ways.

1)  I think that girls should be able to be on the team if they are good enough.  Now as for some of the people that said girls could beat the snot out of most guys, I highly doubt it.  Males have so much more muscle mass and build more muscle quicker than females. 

2)  Of course I could almost guarantee you that if you let a girl on a boys football team, they still won't let a boy on the girls volleyball team.  And they say guys are sexists.

825329921[/snapback]

Thats true. You know for a fact that they would not let a guy on the girls volleyball team.

Thats true. You know for a fact that they would not let a guy on the girls volleyball team.

825329928[/snapback]

Oh, I know they wouldn't. I even tried it when I was in high school just to see what the coach would say, I didn't really want on the team, I was just trying to prove a point. She didn't let me on the team just like I figured.

Girls playing Football ;) .........That is the stupidest thing i've ever heard. You can call me w/e you want too B) . God didn't make ladies to play football. If you disagree then w/e YOU'RE WRONG!!!..........If girls had their own league that would better but still stupid :) ......And who would come???? I know i wouldn't want to see a bunch of girls playing football...maybe like on a sat when i had nothing to do and it was on TV but other than that NO....it's funny how a small fraction of people come to sports events involving girls compared to the people at Boys athletics. I'm for some girls sports and they have enough to keep them busy....whenever they start beating boys in basketball then we could start talking about them playing football until then ( which that will NEVER HAPPEN) this topic is stupid! :)

825329102[/snapback]

Hey buddy, in case you didnt know the Lady Vols basketball team practices against guys, and beats them. They have bigger crowds than the guys team as well. I dont know of 6 national championships under the guys team at TN, and I'm pretty confidient the girls would whoop the boys butts!

Edited by Rossignol33

Hey buddy, in case you didnt know the Lady Vols basketball team practices against guys, and beats them. They have bigger crowds than the guys team as well. I dont know of 6 national championships under the guys team at TN, and I'm pretty confidient the girls would whoop the boys butts!

....WOW, how can you even compare women's basketball to football? Comparisons aside, if girls can compete with guys playing football, then so be it, but from a guy's perspective girls are more fragile and not as tough as guys. This may not be true, but ask just about any guy and he will probably say that. This doesnt make it true, but it definetly stands out when a guy is going to tackle a girl and holds back because he doesn't want to "hurt them". I cant believe some people in this place are comparing girl's football to politics and women's basketball. The fact is that when women wanted to vote, they didnt have to get hammered in a football game to prove themselves, and when women wanted to play basketball, they sank shots and didnt have to get tackled by people. If you dont agree then hey, it's your opinion....but this is mine.

if your school lacks a kicker, and there is a female soccer player that can put it through the uprights, then maybe, kickers are not really football players anyways, but if something happens where she gets involved with a play, she should expect the same type of hitting anyone else on the field would endure,

i personally do not think they should play though, regardless of how tough any girl thinks she is, guys are built stronger and would cause serious injury