When is Safety more important than Money?

DelTavian

Del, whatever happend to personal responsibilty? Now if any act of nature causes an accident this weekend TSSAA should be held accountable? Parent, players, and fans should use there own discretion in decided whether or not to attend games and what to do afterwards. I'm sorry but I must respectfully disagree with you conclusion regarding this topic and TSSAA putting money over safety. If that was the case then I would have to say that they would have moved the games to a rainfree date. Money-wise it makes no sense to play in incliment weather.

Edited by mbraiders

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Del, whatever happend to personal responsibilty? Now if any act of nature causes an accident this weekend TSSAA should be held accountable? Parent, players, and fans should use there own discretion in decided whether or not to attend games and what to do afterwards. I'm sorry but I must respectfully disagree with you conclusion regarding this topic and TSSAA putting money over safety. If that was the case then I would have to say that they would have moved the games to a rainfree date. Money-wise it makes no sense to play in incliment weather.

825343518[/snapback]

OK, it's up to parents and players if they go or not.

"Coach, my son isn't going to be able to make it tonight. I just don't feel it's safe for us to be out traveling when the roads could flash flood. I'm sure that freshman will do fine at quarterback, but my senior all-stater just can't go tonight." -Concerned parent of player who has everything under their own discretion.

How's that gonna fly late today? That kid not going to have anything held against them by a coach?

This decision shouldn't be at this level. The TSSAA should either say it's safe enough to play or not.

I just hope everyone gets home ok tonight and tomorrow.

Del (who has rain gear, will be at the game and will get a motel if I need to after the game. Everyone doesn't have that option though.)

Edited by DelTavian

If you move these games to the end of the season, then you would have to reschedule the state championship games at Vandy and MTSU. While I am sure that MTSU in December would not be a problem, Vandy in late November could have a conflict. And don't say move them elsewhere, unfortunately contracts between parties wouldn't allow that.

Besides, West TN doesn't look like they are going to get too much out of this. I see your point, but it isn't plausable. The TSSAA may be powerful, but not powerful enough to get a stadium anytime they need it like the NFL.

If you move these games to the end of the season, then you would have to reschedule the state championship games at Vandy and MTSU.  While I am sure that MTSU in December would not be a problem, Vandy in late November could have a conflict.  And don't say move them elsewhere, unfortunately contracts between parties wouldn't allow that.

Besides, West TN doesn't look like they are going to get too much out of this.  I see your point, but it isn't plausable.  The TSSAA may be powerful, but not powerful enough to get a stadium anytime they need it like the NFL.

825343552[/snapback]

It's always plausable. Anything is possible. Contracts shouldn't be more important than lives.

I'm sorry guys. I've just got a bad feeling about all this.

Del.

del,

you are as likely to walk out your front door right now and be hit by a stray bullet as you are to be struck by lightning or have a tornado come roaring down the field.

obvioulsy if it is some crazy storm no you dont stand on the field the officials send the kids to the locker room and wait it out. but untill that point comes you play the game.as far as getting caught on a flooded road goes. if they arent playing friday night i guarantee about 80% of them will be out in town doing something thats just as likely to get them hurt or killed.

for those DII schools somebody was talking about, surely those kids arent driving themselves 150 miles to a game. all that money tied up in those programs and they cant afford one of those nice grey hound busses?and im sure the lincoln navigators and ford excursions will be plenty heavy to keep them on the roads if they are.

i dont think this weather is gonna be as bad as they are saying, it rarely is but if tssaa says no games this week fine by me. however it shouldnt be left up to the shcools cause your gonna have some screwed up schedules.

if you worry about these things this much i would hate to have your life.live it man dont watch it go by.

so del..... shut up, put on a poncho, watch your team play, and hope for a win! good luck friday night by the way.

give me a little help here muffin.

del,

if you worry about these things this much i would hate to have your life.live it man dont watch it go by.

so del..... shut up, put on a poncho, watch your team play, and hope for a win! good luck friday night by the way.

give me a little help here muffin.

825343602[/snapback]

I'm not worried about me. I've trained in the rain. Slept sitting up in the snow and lived outside in a desert for 214 days. I can take it.

I worry about teenage drivers going home in all this.

Me, I'll be fine.

Del.

Del - I appreciate your concerns, but man it can rain in 2 weeks or in 4 weeks what will we do then? We cant keep pushing back games for rain. I agree about lightning or potential tornados. I know there is possible danger in traveling with the teenagers but they can also wreck in dry weather also. I always worry about my son when he drives during good weather but you have to somewhat trust them. Again I appreciate what you are saying but they have to play. If someone is scared to travel in incliment weather then they should not let their kid be on the team. There is always going to be incliment weather every football season & that is understood so I hate to say it but you have stink it up & tell your kids to be careful & hope everything will be fine. I also trust the coaches & bus drivers to get my son to & from the game safely.

twitty

Edited by twittycanes

Do you think the TSSAA should call off this week's game and extend the season one week?

825342820[/snapback]

I don't think they should cancel games for the whole state. I wouldn't be opposed to giving teams a choice between this week and "Week 11" for playing this week's game.

Remember, the western part of the state is high and dry right now...there'd be no reason to cancel our games this week.

I think most of the schools in East Tennessee have decided that both safety and money are important. Most have rescheduled for Thursday to salvage attendance as well as wear and tear on their facilities. A field after a few hours of rain will not be as muddy as one that has had 6 to 8 inches of rain over 2 days. i like to see the boys slop around in the mud same as anybody but i don't see TSSAA or anybody else for that matter forking over the money to repair the damage done to the fields. School resources are strained to their limits as it is. to do whatever It is an enormous expense just mowing and paintng a field . Repair after this kind of rain could be costly. Of course they could just leave the holes and ruts. Might make the game interesting... til someone breaks a leg.

Rescheduling the stadiums for the championship games a week later wouldn't be a problem. Vandy's last home game is Nov. 20th (which is 3 days before the D-II games). MTSU's last home game is Nov. 13th.

I agree that the ENTIRE state of Alabama is getting hit with some dangerous rains, flooding, and yes, lightning and tornadoes. However the same can't be said for much of West Tennessee.

While I realize many schools are now going to play on Monday night, what's the big deal about playing two games in five days? NFL Players do it on several occasions each year, and they're all older and take longer to recover than your typical teen football player.

I also realize they'll have school the next day instead of Saturday to recover, but it's better to be tired on a Tuesday than to have a team bus washed away by a flash flood.

I just hope those who are playing tonight make it safely to and from their appointed destinations.

Brant

Del - I appreciate your concerns, but man it can rain in 2 weeks or in 4 weeks what will we do then? We cant keep pushing back games for rain.

825343637[/snapback]

We aren't talking about an afternoon shower or a weak cold front.

We're talking about life-threatening flooding that we *KNOW* is going to happen, with some tornadoes scattered about too.

Play through rain. Don't play through a tropical storm. At least in the East, every creek is in danger of being a major flood problem, and a bunch of roads too.