Boyd Buchanan, TimesFreePress

bbuc24

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

let me put another spin on the issue. i was a student at bbs when the football team did all it could to win a game in one season....and usually, it came against schools like sunbright. however, we did have a great basketball team....one that ended up winning a state title. at that time, the basketball program was very successful, stemming back several years before that. now, it can be argued that the basketball team is not so successful. teams like temple have the continued success that we once enjoyed. do we complain about other coaches? do we not shake hands? do we accuse temple of illegal recruiting?

i think that being competitive is a hard thing. when you win, all is right. when you lose, it hurts. any athelete will tell you that. the difference good atheletes/teams and great atheletes/teams is that the great ones offer no excuses. i don't hardly know a thing about s.pitt's coach, but i can tell you that i respect him for what he said in the article. to me, that's the trademark of a true and worthy competitor.

i also don't know a thing about the whitwell coach, either. however, the comments he made in the article just make me skake my head. i hope those kids see what he said and learn from it. we actually have some kids from whitwell on our team and they think poorly of the coach, as well. what do kids learn from that kind of statement? it makes me think that he'll be in the paper again next year with some other excuse and accusations against another team. hopefully not, though.i wish them well.

l

Ok, let's take them in order.  First, running up the score.  I believe the "bomb" you are referring to was the out route that our 3rd string QB threw to our 2nd string QB (playing receiver at the time) sometime in the middle of the 3rd quarter.  Yes, it scored...because our 2nd string QB broke a tackle and outran your D to the endzone.  I am not sure what you want us to do about our 2nd team scoring...should we have told them to lay down if they got close?............

IN FACT, we did.  In case you didn't notice after that score we took the 2nd team out and put in the JV...with our JV QB.  And in case you didn't notice they knelt on the ball 2 times inside your 10 so that THEY wouldn't score again...just to keep from running up the score.  Embarrassing I know, but we didn't want to beat you guys 73 to 0.  If we had wanted to beat you 100 to 0 we could have if we had left the starters or the 2nd team in.  That is what happened in the 95-3 game in 97.  We don't do that.

As for the shaking hands incident.  Coach Green saw Coach Reynolds and me after we had shaken all the assistants' hands.  He knows who we are.  Coach Reynolds was in front and held his hand out.  Coach Green shook his head in disgust at us, turned, and walked away.  Then made the sad accusations about us in the paper.  Then he went to another school and whined about how we had mistreated HIM.  They all got a good laugh.  I don't know what kind of man Coach Green is in his private life, but the example he has set for his players this year is appalling. 

And while we are at it let me just say that I am glad you are a Tiger fan.  Whitwell has some great young men and some fine assistant coaches.  I wish you all good luck for the rest of the season...which is what I would have said to Coach Green...if he had shaken my hand.

825366285[/snapback]

Bald Coach I am an assistant at Whitwell and I think everything was taken out of context about the hand shaking event, which is kinda silly and blown way out of proportion. Yes, Coach Green refused to shake hands after Akins never even made an attempt to shake any of our Coaches hands, I don't no if that was intentional but that is the way coach Green seen it. Next, the accusation that we don't work hard or don't teach fundamentals, well people will tell you that is the only reason we are winning. We work out Five days a week, every morning at 6 am in the summer. If you will remember when Coach Green took over the program Whitwell had not won a ball game in 3 years, and had not won eight in the previous 10. What you say about fundamental, hard work, taking kids to camps, and breaking things into groups is absolutly correct. We do that here too. I know this, Coach Green has nothing but good things to say about how good your program is, but when you or the press start making accusations about us not doing the right things that tends to bother us, esspecially when you have three kids starting on your team that are from Whitwell. We are a small community and anyone will tell you that three players can really cut into our depth. But, hey if those kids want to go to Boyd, more power to them, and good luck. When coach Green said that Boyd can go out and get players he was not refering to Boyd recruiting athletes, we know your coaching staff does not do that, your program in athletics and academics speaks for itsself. We have a fine program here too and we can not go to the schools like people close to your program does and encourage parents to send their kids to Boyd Buchanan. If kids from chattanooga come here their family has to move. That is what Coach Green was talking about, he never one time mentioned recruiting. Good Luck and hope to see you guys again.

Possum,

I appreciate you guys, and you wouldn't believe how much I would like to see you all do great (as long as it isn't against us) :D . Like I said, I coached for Boyd during the long dry years, so I would not ever put another program down.

I don't ever remember saying you guys don't work hard...I think all high school Football players work hard, and I know the coaches do. And I wish the Tigers nothing but success.

I just can't sit by and let anyone, Coach Green included, accuse us of recruitment or being underhanded and not respond. "If I were President of Whitwell Academy, I would go out and get the best players I could find too" is about as blatant as you can get. There are several other quotes in the article that are just as insulting. They are direct accusations aimed at Coach Akins and our kids claiming he recruits/they were recruited. And that just isn't true.

As for the handshaking incident we may be reading more into it than it deserves, but I can tell you it had nothing to do with Coach Akins talking to the news. It was an intentional slight to Coach Reynolds (he was in front of me with his hand out) and the rest of us.

l

Ok, let's take them in order.  First, running up the score.  Embarrassing I know, but we didn't want to beat you guys 73 to 0.  If we had wanted to beat you 100 to 0 we could have if we had left the starters or the 2nd team in.  That is what happened in the 95-3 game in 97.  We don't do that.

825366285[/snapback]

Baldcoach,

...After reading all of the comments in this thread, I thought it necessary to correct the above "hi-lited" and "bold" statement. The "RAMS" don't do that either( I think you were referring to running up the score by leaving starters in the game).

...So that all the readers will understand let's take one more look at exactly what happened in '97. Tyner was the State 3A runner-up, 1st year in 2A and Boyd was just getting it's program started. Many things were said after this game, however, if you recall Coach Turner explained that he did not intentionally run-up the score. He played all(or most) of his players and eleven(11) different "RAMS" scored touchdowns(this is called depth). Thirteen(13) players had at least one carry. No Tyner player dominated the statistics.

...The "RAMS" had a huge advantage in team speed and couldn't be stopped on sweep plays to the outside. Coach Turner defended his play selection and the unstoppable sweeps by saying that Coach Akin "had all of his linemen up on the line and wanted the "RAMS" to run straight up-the-middle". Turner said that he was not going to run straight at Boyd and risk getting his running backs hurt.

...The halftime score was: 49-3 and both coaches could have agreed to let the clock run continually but Turner said that idea was not mentioned.

...Tyner's starting quarterback completed only 3 of 7 passes for 50 yards and two(2) touchdowns. Coach Turner said, "if I had wanted to run up the score, I would had put the ball in-the-air in the 2nd half. The back-up quarterback didn't throw a pass.

...With a little over a minute left in the game the "RAMS" 3rd string rb scored on a 56 yard touchdown and it was a "dive" play(up the middle) that he broke to the outside.

...So as you can see, Coach Turner did everything he could(except take a knee when the RAMS had the ball). Didn't really mean to write all of this but since I am close to the program I thought your statement needed clarity.

...And last but not least the two(2) coached did "shake" hands at the end of the game!!!

Where can I find a Roster and stats on Boyd Buchanon, I know they have won a lot of games? But here in East Tenn. we do not see any player stats...

Is there a Prep sports page that keeps up with stats or does Boyd Buch. have a Web page showing football stats ?

Baldcoach,

...After reading all of the comments in this thread, I thought it necessary to correct the above "hi-lited" and "bold" statement. The "RAMS" don't do that either( I think you were referring to running up the score by leaving starters in the game).

...So that all the readers will understand let's take one more look at exactly what happened in '97. Tyner was the State 3A runner-up, 1st year in 2A and Boyd was just getting it's program started. Many things were said after this game, however, if you recall Coach Turner explained that he did not intentionally run-up the score. He played all(or most) of his players and eleven(11) different "RAMS" scored touchdowns(this is called depth). Thirteen(13) players had at least one carry. No Tyner player dominated the statistics.

...The "RAMS" had a huge advantage in team speed and couldn't be stopped on sweep plays to the outside. Coach Turner defended his play selection and the unstoppable sweeps by saying that Coach Akin "had all of his linemen up on the line and wanted the "RAMS"  to run straight up-the-middle". Turner said that he was not going to run straight at Boyd and risk getting his running backs hurt.

...The halftime score was: 49-3 and both coaches could have agreed to let the clock run continually but Turner said that idea was not mentioned.

...Tyner's starting quarterback completed only 3 of 7 passes for 50 yards and two(2) touchdowns. Coach Turner said, "if I had wanted to run up the score, I would had put the ball in-the-air in the 2nd half. The back-up quarterback didn't throw a pass.

...With a little over a minute left in the game the "RAMS" 3rd string rb scored on a 56 yard touchdown and it was a "dive" play(up the middle) that he broke to the outside.

...So as you can see, Coach Turner did everything he could(except take a knee when the RAMS had the ball). Didn't really mean to write all of this but since I am close to the program I thought your statement needed clarity.

...And last but not least the two(2) coached did "shake" hands at the end of the game!!!

825369986[/snapback]

It is sort of interesting TynerRam fan that when some certain schools are on the low end of big margins, the other team ran the score up; but when the same team starts being on the high end they are not running the score up. It is kind of like making the statement some certain group says that "everyone" should want to play the best competition possible, but many of those making the statement want to stay in D1 A. Seems like talking out of both sides of the mouth to me.

Ramsfan,

I didn't really intend to cast aspersion on the Tyner Boyd game in 97. The Whitwell posters brought it up and I was replying. Still, 95 to 3 is pretty undefendable...try as you might. Boyd was down that year and Tyner was GREAT! But no one gets a 95 to 3 'accidentally'. I know the last 2 TDs in that game were not first team scores. So the first team scored 81. Scoring 81 with your starters is not running up the score?

On the other hand, in the Whitwell game our first team scored 42 the first half, played one series in the third quarter, scored, and then we got them out (even in the first half we put the 2nd team qb in for a series). Then the second team scored the last 10. Then the 3rd team knelt 2 times to keep from scoring again. That is not running up the score.

Csense,

I know you are biased against privates, you have made that very plain. I have never said you 'talked out of both sides of your mouth'. I would expect the same courtesy. Even you have to admit the difference is considerable between the 2 games. Or let me put it another way, you could divide the Tyner score by 2 and still have almost the score against Whitwell.

Ramsfan,

I didn't really intend to cast aspersion on the Tyner Boyd game in 97.  The Whitwell posters brought it up and I was replying.  Still, 95 to 3 is pretty undefendable...try as you might. Boyd was down that year and Tyner was GREAT!  But no one gets a 95 to 3 'accidentally'.  I know the last 2 TDs in that game were not first team scores.  So the first team scored 81.  Scoring 81 with your starters is not running up the score? 

Baldcoach,

...Obviously this is still a sore spot for some Boyd fans even though it was seven years ago so this is the last time I will address this subject unless someone gets the facts wrong...please go back and read my 1st entire thread very slowly...I did not name the players, but after actually looking at the box scores from that game, I can definitely say that the last seven(7) touchdowns were from kids that were either 2nd or 3rd string or they were playing out-of-position(example: N. Clark was a special teams player and he lined-up at rb and scored)...so you are in error, again about the 1st team scoring 81 points...And yes, Boyd was down that year but what was Coach Turner supposed to do???? Run the ball between the 20's and take a knee????

... I now realize there will always be controversy about this game and I really wish no one would bring it up because it takes away from the excellent job both coaches have done since then!!!!

Baldcoach,

...Obviously this is still a sore spot for some Boyd fans even though it was seven years ago so this is the last time I will address this subject unless someone gets the facts wrong...please go back and read my 1st entire thread very slowly...I did not name the players, but after actually looking at the box scores from that game, I can definitely say that the last seven(7) touchdowns were from kids that were either 2nd or 3rd string or they were playing out-of-position(example: N. Clark was a special teams player and he lined-up at rb and scored)...so you are in error, again about the 1st team scoring 81 points...And yes, Boyd was down that year but what was Coach Turner supposed to do???? Run the ball between the 20's and take a knee???? 

... I now realize there will always be controversy about this game and I really wish no one would bring it up because it takes away from the excellent job both coaches have done since then!!!!

825370452[/snapback]

Actually I agree. Again, I wouldn't have used it save for the fact that someone else did. And I am over it...mostly

Boyd Fans

I can remember Tyner beating Boyd 95-3 in 1997. I also remember Greenback used to wear you guys out big time.

As a Maryville fan I can tell you this. When you start winning people will blast you. Boyd has a good program now. Isn't it amazing what a great coaching staff can do? Maryville was getting their tails whipped by Cleveland,Clinton,Halls,Sevier County 10 years ago. No one was complaining then. Now that Maryville is winning a lot of people blast them. Maryville is winning because they have a great coaching staff. Interest is at an all time high at Maryville now. It sounds like the same thing is happening at Boyd. Good luck the rest of the season.