Play clocks?

purple75gold

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With ESPN starting to show some high school games i've noticed that other states have an on field play clock.  I was wondering why Tennessee does not do the same.  I know it would cost some money to put the clocks in but it would also erase a lot of on field confusion.

825400932[/snapback]

I do think a play clock would be good. A lot of the refs won't start the arm count during the last few seconds. You could probably get Coke or Pepsi to include one for free if they could put their logo on there somewhere.

Unless things have changed, Texas high schools do not use the National Federation rules for high school football. It is my understanding that they use NCAA Division 1 rules which would require a 25 second clock to be on the field. The thing that I have noticed about high school officials is that they make little if any extra effort in the the last few minutes of a game to get the ball marked and allow the play to start quickly. Watch any NCAA or NFL game and see how fast they spot the ball so that the play can begin. The only way to run a 2 minute offense in Tennessee high school football and go 80+ yards is to throw the ball where the receiver can get out of bounds. If the QB is sacked or the receiver is tackled in bounds you will loose 30-45 seconds most of the time due to a lack of hustle on the officials part in getting the ball spotted and allowing the next play to begin.