MUS VS Brentwood Academy

timbdp

TSR7487...I don't recall WesVols making a prediction.  I think he was simply providing historical background between the two schools. 

You are right.  The past is the past; unfortunately, you don't respect the former coaches and players who have made this rivalry what it is.

825434517[/snapback]

Now I WILL make a prediction later in the week. :)

Other than Lawhorn, who seems to be on everybody's watch list, who makes MUS tick? What makes them so good?

Do they still run a spread offense? What is their run/pass ratio?

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The QB, Park, is a big time player he runs and throws very well and can be very difficult to defend, MUS also has a reasonably big line-and it seemed the first time we played them they went only one way- but I could be wrong. Hopefully an MUS fan can give us more of a detailed report.

825435773[/snapback]

The Owl offense is good but how about mentioning those on the defensive side of the ball. The most points that they have given up in one game is 14 (7 of the points in the baylor game came from an intereception return). There just seems to be no weaknesses in them and I think that they will be the main reason the owls take home their first state title since 1985. MUS - 17 BA - 10

As a player on Mus, we have many people on our offense that make it work. All of our receivers are good, and also are runningbacks are quite good too. The line is something that has been a plus for us this year, because if any team played us last year we never ran the ball. But i am really looking forward to playing Brentwood, it is going to be a very hard fought game

Pretty solid analysis going on. BA is a running team. Almost 300 yards on the ground last week was huge against McCallie. The first game in Memphis, the Owls stuffed the Eagle running attack all night long. If they do it again, they win the game. Then again, no team has stopped BA's running attack over the past few weeks. Kottas is also a different receiver than last time these teams played. He has had big catches in almost every game since.

MUS is a more diverse offense, with a bit more reliance on the passing game than BA. If BA's corners come up big, I believe the Eagles will win. One big difference from last time is that with Cason and Schuyler playing linebacker, BA has a lot of speed at that position, and can give MUS some different looks on defense. There were even a few plays last week where the nose guard dropped back to play middle linebacker...unheard of for a BA team. (Middle linebacker...what's that??) This allowed the outside backers to play on the edges a bit more...something that will be much needed against the quick MUS offense.

Should be a great game. Hope we have some nice weather.

Brentwood Academy has been to more state championship games than any school in history. Here's a list of the top 14 teams:

Brentwood Academy 20

Maryville 10

Montgomery Bell Academy 9

Battle Ground Academy 8

Riverdale 8

Trousdale County 8

Oak Ridge 7

Dobyns Bennett 6

Chattanooga Central 6

Germantown 6

Gallatin 6

Marion County 6

Alcoa 6

South Pittsburg 6

In its 20 title appearances, BA has won 9 state championships, again topping the list:

Brentwood Academy 9

Montgomery Bell Academy 8

Oak Ridge 7

Maryville 7

Dobyns Bennett 6

Chattanooga Central 6

Battle Ground Academy 6

Alcoa 5

Trousdale County 5

Here are the results of BA's title games, with wins in bold.

1974 - BA 38, South Pittsburg 7

1976 - Maryville 27, BA 0

1978 - Maryville 21, BA 14

1980 - BA 21, Knoxville Rule 20

1981 - BA 44, Kingston 13

1982 - BA 7, Cleveland 0

1986 - Austin-East 28, BA 20

1987 - BA 31, Austin-East 6

1988 - BA 23, Alcoa 12

1989 - Alcoa 32, BA 22

1991 - BA 49, Powell 7

1992 - Marion County 28, BA 26

1993 - Cleveland 26, BA 21

1995 - BA 27, Riverdale 16

1996 - BA 28, Jefferson County 7

1998 - MBA 21, BA 19

2000 - MBA 8, BA 7

2001 - McCallie 17, BA 16

2002 - MBA 27, BA 11

2003 - MBA 38, BA 14

Brentwood Academy has lost its last 5 Clinic Bowls (the last 4 in 4 straight years), all of which were played in the Division II classification. The Eagles have never won a Super Seven title. Here are the schools who have:

MBA 5

McCallie 1

Father Ryan 1

Schools with the most DII Clinic Bowl appearances:

MBA 6 (5-1)

BA 5 (0-5)

McCallie 1 (1-0)

Father Ryan 1 (1-0)

Christian Brothers 1 (0-1)

Baylor has never participated in the DII Clinic Bowl, and, until this year, neither had MUS.

Here are some BA state championship stats:

Points Per Game

For: 21.9

Against: 18.1

Average Margin of Victory: 20

Average Deficit of Defeat: 9.4

Record in Games Against Teams From:

East TN: 8-7

Middle TN: 1-4

*This is the first time BA will play a team from West TN in the Clinic Bowl.

Here are BA's championship records by classification (1A and 2A before switch from 3 to 5 classifications)

Overall: 9-11

1A: 1-0

2A: 6-6

5A: 2-0

DII: 0-5

Coming later this week: MUS state championship information, plus playoffs stats for both teams.

Edited by WesVols