Re-classification of Class A....

PTSportsWriter

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always felt that the TSSAA wasn't fair towards west tn schools, but now I really know. When I went to state championship in 2002 and 2004, I felt that East TN and Middle TN were favored with calls. Now you can really tell that TSSAA has a problem with West TN. Maybe its because we have better teams! HUH???? Its going to be hard for District 15A and 16A to make the Region 8A tournament. Its sooooo much competition. They could've added some more schools to the other districts. I think its pretty pathetic! :angry:

Well, with this new district, I think we can probably forget about Lake County ever hosting a district tournament again. Gleason, Greenfield, Dresden, South Fulton and Union City will never vote for us, and Bradford, Trenton and Humboldt probably wouldn't. Halls might.

And anyone that has been to any of the last three district tournaments at LC (1997, 2001, 2004) has to agree that Lake County puts on as good of a tournament as anyone.

I guess now we'll be going to Union City every year, seems like the most central location.

Well, with this new district, I think we can probably forget about Lake County ever hosting a district tournament again.  Gleason, Greenfield, Dresden, South <a href='http://www.coacht.com/inside/team.cfm?SchoolID=159&SportID=3' target='_blank'>Fulton</a> and Union City will never vote for us, and Bradford, Trenton and Humboldt probably wouldn't.  Halls might.

And anyone that has been to any of the last three district tournaments at LC (1997, 2001, 2004) has to agree that Lake County puts on as good of a tournament as anyone.

I guess now we'll be going to Union City every year, seems like the most central location.

825437407[/snapback]

The only thing about Lake Co. hosting a tournament is travel. It is the most out of the way of the 10 teams. And that means more milage for buses and that means more money spent on the buses and the T$$AA likes for districts to keep expenses to the minimum (Less spent means more they get). But I will agree Lake Co. does put on good tournaments. Union City and Humboldt are the most centralized locations and both have the facilties to put on a tournament. So both would be a good choice.

As far as travel Lake Co,because of their location has to travel more than just about any Single A teams...McKenzie,West Carrol,Bruceton,Dresden are all close to each other and not to far from Union City and South Fulton so it won't be too bad for these schools and in the other direction Halls would have been the closet team to us and then all the Jackson teams..I know Middleton and Memphis Manassas would be a long drive but that would only be every other year..I'm not sure Lake co wouldn't have been better off in this district..At least you would have 7 teams each instead of 8-6..We are going to have to travel a good distance anyway except for Union City and S.Fulton and I believe I had rather try to get 4th place in a district with 6 teams in in than 8......Also Sports Radio,most of our teams didn't have to travel to Mitchell...Most of the games were bought out ..I know Lake Co and Trenton played them both games at home so we wouldn't have to travel and plus we both probably made more money because people weren't coming to Mitchell then..Plus I believe Mitchell got a $1,000 guarantee..We did have to go the next year though..

While these new districts in West TN make sense geographically (I guess), could they not have made the districts a little more balanced? In District 13, you have West Carroll and Huntingdon who are traditionally good teams. But after them, you've got McKenzie (who has been down the last few years), Bruceton, Big Sandy, Clarksburg, and Big Sandy. Not exactly what I'd call a powerhouse district :D . Does anybody really think West Carroll and Huntingdon won't sleepwalk into the district championship?

Then in District 14, you've got Dresden, Greenfield, Halls, Lake Co., Peabody, South Fulton, and an improving Bradford and Gleason. Then they threw in Humboldt and Union City just for kicks. Whew, that's a tough district to come out of. I agree with jvaughan, just give the district tourney winner a gold ball and call it quits.

Edited by ifiruledtheworld

I don't think Halls has hosted a district or a regional tournament in years. We're getting tired of traveling as well. Our gymnasium is also just as nice as everyone elses. We should be considered sometimes as well. Lake County, Trenton, and Dresden have been getting all the tournament action in their homes recently. Now its time for us. We hate driving to Dresden for regional tournament. We have to drive to Gleason this year, and that's terrible for us (Halls) and Lake County. Think about that gas mileage every year. :huh:

I've always felt that the TSSAA wasn't fair towards west tn schools, but now I really know. When I went to state championship in 2002 and 2004, I felt that East TN and Middle TN were favored with calls. Now you can really tell that TSSAA has a problem with West TN. Maybe its because we have better teams! HUH???? Its going to be hard for District 15A and 16A to make the Region 8A tournament. Its sooooo much competition. They could've added some more schools to the other districts. I think its pretty pathetic! :lol:

825436885[/snapback]

You have problems if you are going to make statements like that. First of all, I doubt that all the refs in the state playoffs are from East and Middle TN. Second, because you do not like the fact that your team now has to earn a tournament spot, doesn't mean that everybody is out for West TN. Lastly, if the West was better maybe they would start winning some Championships. Nevermind, the refs cheat, the east cheats, middle cheats. Lets just give the Championship to the west because they are so miss treated. thumb

The only thing about Lake Co. hosting a tournament is travel. It is the most out of the way of the 10 teams. And that means more milage for buses and that means more money spent on the buses and the T$$AA likes for districts to keep expenses to the minimum (Less spent means more they get). But I will agree Lake Co. does put on good tournaments. Union City and Humboldt are the most centralized locations and both have the facilties to put on a tournament. So both would be a good choice.

825437493[/snapback]

A district tournament at Union City. That hasn't happened in......I can't remember the last time.

A district tournament at Union City.  That hasn't happened in......I can't remember the last time.

825438690[/snapback]

And isn't going to happen probably. I'm still in an evaluation period of the redistricting, sort of a cooling off period to give it a fair look, but for the folks who are familiar with how politicians have drawn up congressional districts in history, can you say "gerrymandering"!

Lake K,I agree with you about the tournaments..I was surprised we are hosting the district again this year...I would rather host the regionals though..More is at stake as far as advancing there...It sure seems like Dresden has more than their share..I agree with you about that..It seems like they would have the region in a central location though..Dresden is much too far to travel every night for teams in our area,especially if both the girls and boys are playing on different nights..I don't mind playing at Trenton but at least this year all the teams that are picked pretty high,Lake Co,Dresden,Halls,Trenton,Greenfield,etc.are playing on a neutral court..I would much rather play Trenton or your guys in Gleason than at Halls or Trenton,especially in a championship game and a home sub-state game on the line..But again..I agree with you about that drive..But I imagine if Halls and Lake Co. were to both play in the regional championship and are not going home..I believe we will be able to handle it okay