white house loses to Melrose

kwc

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please try to understand, Orange Mound, at one time, was the largest african american community in the US.  A community consist a group of people with different sets of believes and values.  I have traveled to Melrose games and witnessed behaviors previously discussed.  I have had extensive conversations with those individuals participating in said behavior.  The fact is their behavior is the norm for a certain segment of their community.  Right or wrong is not for any to judge.  I have had extensive conversations with MPD during games and yes they know very well what is taking place.  But they have a choice to make.  Bust up in the crowd and create chaos and  potentially inflame the danger or oversee the nights activities making certain that any potentially dangerous situations are handled appropriately.  There are lines that are not to be crossed.  The MPD knows this and so does the free partying crowd.  They all pull together to make certain each knows were the other stands.  Those participating in illegal activities will have their day to face those wrongs.  But lets look at the positive.  Melrose Football has helped form a bound in that community.  A bound that gives young black men from all over the city limits of Memphis some hope were there may be none.  Don't kill their hopes and dreams becasue they are in a community that is different from yours and mine.  Go to the game.  Watch the pure athletic talent of those young men and pray that God will provide them an opportunity to be a positive influence on their community during adulthood.

As for the game,  White House executing smash mouth and Melrose spreading it out with speed.  They say speed kills.  Bring it back to Memphis guys.

Otherwise,  remain blind to history and the root causes of the Orange Mounds in our country and stay at home.  Then you will lose out on watching dreams come true.

825445953[/snapback]

I won't make a prediction on the score..... But I do believe it will take 20 points to win.

I'm excited about witnessing a great game. As with many issues we may have opinions, most are exaggerated to a point. After reading some of these posts, you would think Orange Mound is a war zone. I don't believe it, because if it were true, then high school football would be in trouble.

See you guys friday nite.

825446454[/snapback]

Its great that you love your team and are coming down to support them but dont walk in O.M. expecting to see a good old fashioned football game. I am a white guy that played for a mostly white private school in Memphis. I played against melrose for four years, and those guys are great. They play hard and clean but going into O.M. is not like going into most neighborhoods. Melrose fans although great fans have been known to loose it at times. I just hope the MPD will have the game covered.

Other than that i see melrose to win in a close game

what you have to understand is that perception is true to the beholder.....what a person perceives, whether you agree or not, is valid to that viewer........

the facts speak for themselves....the city of memphis is not a safe place.....they have the highest crime rate in the state, and one of the highest in the nation.....black or white, that is not anything to be proud of........the saddest part is that memphis is high on the list for the number of juvenile deaths, due to gang drive bys....

it is a sad reflection of the attitudes of the local community when you tolerate and look the other way when fans openly smoke dope and drink alcohol at a high school game.........

on a positive note, for the white house fans, i have been to melrose games quite a few times, and i have never seen an act of violence when our school was playing....nor did i have a problem with my wife attending......

i would urge you to use caution with your children......if you do not want them exposed to people smoking dope and drinking alcohol at a high school game, then leave them at home...

825443218[/snapback]

Earlier on the thread, someone said with a defense like Melrose, why do you need a kicking game (defending that their kicking game was bad, but the defense made up for it).

Seeing that Melrose lost the past two semifinal games to Hillsboro by one point, and there appeared by the score to be missed PATs involved, then I would say it definitely should be a concern.

I think Melrose by record and scores has proven they have a very good football team. But the level of competition in West Tennessee and Memphis is not near the week-to-week battle it takes to win in Middle Tennessee, especially in Class 4-A.

Who knows if Memphis is disciplined...we will find out Friday. But one thing is for sure, the Memphis area is not known for having disciplined opponents. It's safe to say that Melrose has not played a team as structured and disciplined as White House all year.

Friday you will see contrasting styles, both of which are effective. But when placed against one another, let's see what style comes out on top.

825446448[/snapback]

Nice post letsgodevils, but I have issue with this statement:

"But the level of competition in West Tennessee and Memphis is not near the week-to-week battle it takes to win in Middle Tennessee, especially in Class 4-A."

How on earth do you expect to make such a statement on this board and not expect it to be challenged? On what authority do you proclaim this to be so?

IF ... during the playoffs ... lets say region 6 ... White House's region, played against lets say ... region 8 ... Melrose's region. IF this were the scenerio ... every year ... and region 6 always wiped out region 8 in the first round of the playoffs ... year end and year out .... THEN you would have some basis for this statement. But that's not the case.

The competion between regions 7 and 8 were pretty even in the first rounds in every game ... region 8 teams won the 2nd round games resulting in an all region 8 third round showdown between Melrose and Ridgeway. I know there are more schools in 4A in Middle TN then there are in Memphis, but playing more league games does not equate to being a more competative league. Your statement was generated from pure conjecture!

Melrose, East and Ridgeway all have gold balls on their trophy cases in football in recent history. They won while playing in the 3A classification ... but those are three of the programs that you have so easily disparaged as a 'level of competition' that isn't up to middle TN standards. That statement you made is your OPINION ... but it is far from being fact ... nor can you substantiate your assesment with concrete evidence. It's subjective ... at best ... and an insult to Memphis East, Ridgeway, Craigmont, JCM, Hardin Co., Haywood, and Dyersburg, to name all of the teams that participated in the 1st 3 rounds of the playoffs in regions 7 and 8.

Nice post letsgodevils, but I have issue with this statement:

"But the level of competition in West Tennessee and Memphis is not near the week-to-week battle it takes to win in Middle Tennessee, especially in Class 4-A."

How on earth do you expect to make such a statement on this board and not expect it to be challenged? On what authority do you proclaim this to be so?

IF ... during the playoffs ... lets say region 6 ... White House's region, played against lets say ... region 8 ... Melrose's region. IF this were the scenerio ... every year ... and region 6 always wiped out region 8 in the first round of the playoffs ... year end and year out .... THEN you would have some basis for this statement. But that's not the case.

The competion between regions 7 and 8 were pretty even in the first rounds in every game ... region 8 teams won the 2nd round games resulting in an all region 8 third round showdown between Melrose and Ridgeway. I know there are more schools in 4A in Middle TN then there are in Memphis, but playing more league games does not equate to being a more competative league. Your statement was generated from pure conjecture!

Melrose, East and Ridgeway all have gold balls on their trophy cases in football in recent history. They won while playing in the 3A classification ... but those are three of the programs that you have so easily disparaged as a 'level of competition' that isn't up to middle TN standards. That statement you made is your OPINION ... but it is far from being fact ... nor can you substantiate your assesment with concrete evidence. It's subjective ... at best ... and an insult to Memphis East, Ridgeway, Craigmont, JCM, Hardin Co., Haywood, and Dyersburg, to name all of the teams that participated in the 1st 3 rounds of the playoffs in regions 7 and 8.

825447242[/snapback]

How would Melrose fare if they had to compete in 10-team regions just to make the playoffs?

I am not saying the top teams in Memphis are not good quality. That is a fact by state standards and championships.

But the level of football, including the mass number of good quality teams, is higher in Middle Tennessee. There are records to back it up.

For instance, two years ago, the Class 4-A playoff pairing of Region 5-6 had a better combined record among the eight teams than ANY OTHER EIGHT-TEAM BRACKET in the entire state of Tennessee. That included Hillsboro, the team which eliminated Melrose.

Those eight teams not only were statistically better than any other region pairing in the state, they also had to compete with nine other teams in their region to get in. East and West Tennessee got an easier playoff road from the TSSAA with less region games to play, bar none.

They fixed that with the new classification.

How would Melrose fare if they had to compete in 10-team regions just to make the playoffs?

I am not saying the top teams in Memphis are not good quality. That is a fact by state standards and championships.

But the level of football, including the mass number of good quality teams, is higher in Middle Tennessee. There are records to back it up.

For instance, two years ago, the Class 4-A playoff pairing of Region 5-6 had a better combined record among the eight teams than ANY OTHER EIGHT-TEAM BRACKET in the entire state of Tennessee. That included Hillsboro, the team which eliminated Melrose.

Those eight teams not only were statistically better than any other region pairing in the state, they also had to compete with nine other teams in their region to get in. East and West Tennessee got an easier playoff road from the TSSAA with less region games to play, bar none.

You are right Devils. The only class that might be stronger than middle Tn is 2A.

I am a former Blue Devil that now lives in W Tn. There is no doubt that middle TN is much stronger than W Tn in 4A. And 3A for that fact. (which WH drops to next year)

I reallly wish JCM would have won so that White House could have came to Jackson. But anyway, it should be a good ball game.

And hopefully when it is all said and done, Melrose will know the meaning of BDP!!

Go Blue Devils!!!

Edited by volsandtitans1

Here is the breakdown from 2002. I got it from a 2003 Football Preview from The News Examiner and the writer who does White House. I retyped it. It will take me a while, but I will tabulate 2003 from the TSSAA website using the same formula.

This takes the combined records of the eight playoff teams from the region brackets (regular season only). Notice that 5-6 is the toughest in the state, not only once, but top THREE. Region 7-8 is the LOWEST in the state, except for two brackets from Region 3-4, which is hurt by Chattanooga area.

Combined Records of Eight Playoff Teams

Sorted by First Round Pairings

CLASS REGIONS RECORDS PCT.

4-A 5-6 62-17 0.785

1-A 5-6 61-19 0.763

5-A 5-6 59-21 0.738

3-A 1-2 58-21 0.734

3-A 7-8 57-22 0.722

2-A 5-6 57-23 0.713

5-A 7-8 56-24 0.700

1-A 1-2 55-25 0.688

4-A 3-4 55-25 0.688