Maryville and Melrose

tngator

Region 4AA Tournament  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Region 4AA Tournament

Lets put it like this...I have gone to many different schools across the state.  I was in elementary school in Murfreesboro and I never ONCE heard anything about Riverdale and how kids couldn't wait to play for them.  I was in elementary school in Clarksville and I never ONCE heard kids say that they couldn't want to play for any of the Clarksville teams.  I also went to elementary school in Maryville and each week you would see kids dressed in Rebels shirts, boys talking about winning a state title when they get into high school.  Talking about playing in their peewee games.  This is why I think that Maryville is the only system like it.  My little brother is 12 years old, he's in the 5th grade and he's already talking about playing for the red and black.  Every night he does pushups to make himself stronger, every week he watches the 2003 state championship on tape.  He want it bad, he can taste it.  His friends are just about the same way, they dream NOT of playing on the team, but of holding up that Gold ball.  While other kids play with their playstations, kids in Maryville work hard to become the next greatest football team.  Sure every team eventually gets that fire under them, to win a title, but at Maryville it starts from the minute they see their first game, and that first game comes very early. 

Also I wasn't saying that you shouldn't tout your great players, but the thing is, you hardly hear us talking much about Cade, why?  Because what most people don't realize is that if Cade went down, we wouldn't be hurting ANY.  Whereas other teams can't take that sort of damage to a great player.  Sure Cade would be a huge loss, but nonetheless, we'd adjust and do just as well without him.  We had to do it in 2003 when our starter went down in the last scrimmage, Cade stepped up as a sophomore.  To other teams this would be demoralizing mentally, for us, it would be a stepping stone to fuel the fire. 

Sure some Maryville fans are going to illogically spout off that Maryville will win by 70, but thats just swamp fog, they really know that we could get beat.  Every Maryville fan goes into the game expecting it to be a good game.  We never expect to get beat, but we know theres the possibility.

Also, sure Melrose shut down Hillsboro, but who won?  You can shut a team down all you want, but if you don't make enough offensive production to win then its a pointless gesture.  I am not saying that Melrose won't be able to stop Maryville or put up points against Maryville, I am just saying that Melrose stopping Hillsboro is completely different than Melrose stopping MaryvilleMaryville isn't the type of team to come out and muscle around a team like Hillsboro, they were just too athletic and big.  Instead we traded punches like a good boxer and wore them down.  Will we be able to do the same against Melrose?  I don't know, but I am going to go with what I've seen out of most every west/middle Tennessee team and say that they won't have the depth or the discipline.  Why?  When we played Hillsboro, they panicked and tried to pass it too soon, also in the 4th quarter Maryville was ready to go while Hillsboro was holding their hips.  Melrose might have the athletes, but are they using them to the BEST of their ability?!

825455472[/snapback]

Another fine post MaryvilleRebels. IF you equate everyone in the world to your limited experinces in life ... you will always be ignorant on other areas and ideas. I see it is hard for you to fathom the idea of children in an urban area wanting to grow up and play for Melrose ... just like the children in Maryville ... and you are so wrong, it isn't even funny.

Oh ... Cades name has been mentioned numerous times ... again .. don't insult mine and everybody elses intelligence on this board ... we all can read. So .. you can toss that out the window as well.

Melrose and Hillsboro? ... What? ... Where on earth did that come from? You are reaching back to 2002 and 2003 to make an analogy for 2004? Interesting .... very interesting indeed. What on earth does that ... on second thought ... nevermind ... you just keep on thinking like that MaryvilleRebels ... juuuuuuuust keeeeeeeeep that frame of mind why don't you! You will be just fine!

Edited by kwc

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only adive i have for Maryville on keeping Mr Cooper for Melrose contained is wrapping him up. When we played them ( JCM) we didnt wrap him up in the first half and he would break tackles and gain big chunks of yardage at a time. But when the 2nd half came a long, i dont think that he gained more than 30 yards.

Melrose offense is not that great. They like to throw it to #1. He had pretty good height ans has great speed. There qb is still very young and he will have a specific wr in mind to throw it to before the play starts, and if that wr isnt open he will scramble. This is when melrose is the most dangerous. There wr's do a good job of coming back to the ball. So the db's have to stick there man but then again u have to come up to keep madison ( the qb) from scrambling.

Good luck to both teams next saturday.

825455885[/snapback]

Juicyt ... nice post ... but don't make the mistake of equateing what happened in the JCM game as to what Melrose always likes to do. #1 is DeAngelo Nelson ... he's a 6'-3" WR with hands and speed and courage. He is ONE of many offensive weapons that Melrose has in it's aresenal. What did he have ... was it 6 catches for 146 yards or something like that? Well ... it was blatently obvious that JCM couldn't cover him. If you think Maddison throws to him only ... you are sadly mistaken ... sadly. That was the JCM game ... You have only one perspective. It was obvious to everyone in the stands in that game that JCM had no answer for him.

I think Melrose got to see a balanced attack their last game and didn't do too bad.

I know many Maryville fans are prepared to see a Memphis team without discipline, well, you are in for a surprise. They showed  the discipline many metro teams don't have.

White House used formations they couldn't have studied and used some plays they didn't see, but Melrose adjusted and played a solid game.

What impressed me about their defense is they do have a good LB, but it wasn't as if he was superior to every Melrose defensive player, as he didn't stick out. They were fast, good enough size, and lined up and played.

I also didn't see any Melrose players taking a play off resting, they played hard every play and the last trait I noticed is they didn't seem to have many players go both ways and they didn't run out of gas, bend over, nothing. So they were in shape, also.

This is not your normal urban team.

825455655[/snapback]

Thank you Dandy82. There you have it folks ... from a White House guy. He's telling you how it is. No pretense. That's one of the better analogies I've seen all year fron a non Melrose fan/fan of a Melrose opponent. White House has a balanced attack with a Mr. Football finalist RB and an exceptional QB on offesnse and a very good defense. Maryville fans ... this man is giving you a good idea of how the Melrose team plays. Don't just take my word for it.

Thank you Dandy82. There you have it folks ... from a White House guy. He's telling you how it is. No pretense. That's one of the better analogies I've seen all year fron a non Melrose fan/fan of a Melrose opponent. White House has a balanced attack with a Mr. Football finalist RB and an exceptional QB on offesnse and a very good defense. Maryville fans ... this man is giving you a good idea of how the Melrose team plays. Don't just take my word for it.

825456057[/snapback]

Hey, kwc, I'll be with the Greenbrier fans during the 3a game (they are our neighbors) and will be with the Melrose fans during the 4a game. I'll have my WH hat on (lol). Hope there is some way to meet you guys. I know it'll be difficult, because you will pobably have a good crowd.

Good luck. Play a great game.

825456057[/snapback]

I'm going with Maryville on this one. Since the game they had with THS, I have seen some more of their highlights...some of which came from the Knox Central game in the quarter finals. That last play with Cade Thompson was spectacular.

Maryville 35

Melrose 14

Is the prediction too generous?

Edited by THSVikings2004

I dont think Melrose realizes what they are getting into thinking they can win the game.  i dont think you understand how much these guys want this championship.  they were deprived of it for one year and now the only thing on their mind is getting it back in their posession.  yeah i know melrose wants it too, but you dont know what it feels like to have it stripped from your hands by a team you know you are better than only to watch them get pounded 21-0 in the title game.  i feel sorry for all of you melrose fans that are going to get your hopes up for this game, its not worth it to tell you the truth.  yeah your defense is great, wasnt tennessee high's defense supposed to be great and we scored what, 49 points on them and blanked their "unstoppble" offense.  this Maryville team is superior to any team in the state without a doubt.  they look like champions and they play like champions.  im not predicting a blowout but this one wont be as close as you melrose fans want it to be, and you certainly wont win the game.

825455995[/snapback]

Very true Raider. I dont think those boys from Melrose know what they are up against. We have played teams in their region in earlier times and they proved to be no problem for the Rebels. Just like them, Melrose will go down. And once again the guys from Maryville will be holding the state trophy over their heads. Melrose, We WILL beat you. DEAL WITH IT

kwc is obvioulsy the foolish fan from the other team that comes in here talking all the crap thinking his team is gonna win. just ask centralboobcat, vikingnation, and all the other morons who have come in talking a big game only to get whooped when the time comes, save your time on the computer kwc, you should be using it to improve your football team

I think Maryville will be definitely facing a much stronger team this week, unlike Tennessee. Both these teams defenses are top 5 in the state, so I don't think either team will score many points, and if it's close at the end you just know that GQ is going to pull that one great play out of his playbook that will break your back. When it comes down to the deciding factors, Maryville is better coached, will have a little more of a homefield advantage because of Maryville's great traveling fans and the Alcoa fans that will be there, and as RebelRaider said those seniors are hungry and they want that third ring. Go Rebels.

Maryville 21

Melrose 13

i disagree with you on once aspect. i think the Rebels will score more points than that. our offense has been clicking on all cylinders for the last couple of weeks, and these boys are going to be fired up. i have a state ring of my own for Maryville and i know how it gets in that locker room, they will be ready to play. everything else was great. our coaches are definately superior to theirs, and everyone elses in the state. i think we will score 28 at least, this team's defense can be as good as they want but they wont be able to compete with the balanced attack that we have week after week. they better bring their A game or it could get ugly this saturday for melrose