Maryville and Melrose

tngator

Region 4AA Tournament  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Region 4AA Tournament

with my experience on west tn. teams ive noticed that the west team in the championship tends to be faster, more athletic teams but not thoroughly disciplined.......while the east tn. team tends to be all around with few weak spots and few standouts (in that maryville doesnt rely on stars , everyone contributes and does his own part) and are one of the most disciplined and well-coached team.... this is why i think that maryville will have no problem overcoming melrose if melrose falls into the same category......im not trying to stereotype...only stating my observations

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This game will be a tough game. Melrose has great athletes. I heard their linebacker and tailback are studs. Melrose will bring a huge crowd. I never heard a louder crowd and band than what Melrose has.

I can't wait to see Maryville's offense vs Melrose defense. Melrose has a great defense but I bet they haven't seen a offense like Maryville has. Maryville can run it or throw it. Maryville is averaging 42 points a game. They could have scored many more but took the starters out early in a lot of games. The fact that Melrose has only given up 60 points all year is very impressive.

Maryville needs to play defense like they did vs TN High. Melrose has an outstanding running back. I hope Maryville can slow him down. Maryville has slowed down good backs all year long.Powell's quarterback is the only player who rushed for a 100 yds vs Maryville.

Lets put it like this...I have gone to many different schools across the state. I was in elementary school in Murfreesboro and I never ONCE heard anything about Riverdale and how kids couldn't wait to play for them. I was in elementary school in Clarksville and I never ONCE heard kids say that they couldn't want to play for any of the Clarksville teams. I also went to elementary school in Maryville and each week you would see kids dressed in Rebels shirts, boys talking about winning a state title when they get into high school. Talking about playing in their peewee games. This is why I think that Maryville is the only system like it. My little brother is 12 years old, he's in the 5th grade and he's already talking about playing for the red and black. Every night he does pushups to make himself stronger, every week he watches the 2003 state championship on tape. He want it bad, he can taste it. His friends are just about the same way, they dream NOT of playing on the team, but of holding up that Gold ball. While other kids play with their playstations, kids in Maryville work hard to become the next greatest football team. Sure every team eventually gets that fire under them, to win a title, but at Maryville it starts from the minute they see their first game, and that first game comes very early.

Also I wasn't saying that you shouldn't tout your great players, but the thing is, you hardly hear us talking much about Cade, why? Because what most people don't realize is that if Cade went down, we wouldn't be hurting ANY. Whereas other teams can't take that sort of damage to a great player. Sure Cade would be a huge loss, but nonetheless, we'd adjust and do just as well without him. We had to do it in 2003 when our starter went down in the last scrimmage, Cade stepped up as a sophomore. To other teams this would be demoralizing mentally, for us, it would be a stepping stone to fuel the fire.

Sure some Maryville fans are going to illogically spout off that Maryville will win by 70, but thats just swamp fog, they really know that we could get beat. Every Maryville fan goes into the game expecting it to be a good game. We never expect to get beat, but we know theres the possibility.

Also, sure Melrose shut down Hillsboro, but who won? You can shut a team down all you want, but if you don't make enough offensive production to win then its a pointless gesture. I am not saying that Melrose won't be able to stop Maryville or put up points against Maryville, I am just saying that Melrose stopping Hillsboro is completely different than Melrose stopping Maryville. Maryville isn't the type of team to come out and muscle around a team like Hillsboro, they were just too athletic and big. Instead we traded punches like a good boxer and wore them down. Will we be able to do the same against Melrose? I don't know, but I am going to go with what I've seen out of most every west/middle Tennessee team and say that they won't have the depth or the discipline. Why? When we played Hillsboro, they panicked and tried to pass it too soon, also in the 4th quarter Maryville was ready to go while Hillsboro was holding their hips. Melrose might have the athletes, but are they using them to the BEST of their ability?!

Well these polls are only for us to have something to talk about. To real students of the sport and coach T posters, the more people pulling for you, the more votes. Silly really. There is some good thoughts going into this thread. I'm looking for a good game by two great programs. Do I think Maryville will win? Yes. Could Maryville get beat. Yes! Will the Maryville Rebels lose if they play up to their ability? No way.

My thought is if Maryville is able ride this momentum after beating 4 good play-off teams 139-40! Thats giving up about 10 points a play-off game while scoring about 35 a game by Cade and Company. If Maryville is able to get 30 on Melrose, MHS gets the gold ball me thinks.

I think Melrose got to see a balanced attack their last game and didn't do too bad.

I know many Maryville fans are prepared to see a Memphis team without discipline, well, you are in for a surprise. They showed the discipline many metro teams don't have.

White House used formations they couldn't have studied and used some plays they didn't see, but Melrose adjusted and played a solid game.

What impressed me about their defense is they do have a good LB, but it wasn't as if he was superior to every Melrose defensive player, as he didn't stick out. They were fast, good enough size, and lined up and played.

I also didn't see any Melrose players taking a play off resting, they played hard every play and the last trait I noticed is they didn't seem to have many players go both ways and they didn't run out of gas, bend over, nothing. So they were in shape, also.

This is not your normal urban team.

I think the big thing that alot of people have said on the Maryville side is balanced attack. The biggest asset to the offense is Cade's ability to read a defense and like GQ has said many times "take what they give." That's where the balance comes in. Similar to that is the adjustments Maryville is able to make. However, if our offensive line gives the qb time, he's accurate enough to make great passes, regardless of defensive speed, etc. I see that as the key to the game. If Melrose can regularly get pressure, it will be hard for Maryville to score alot. On offense, Melrose's numbers don't look huge, so I agree with FBE that if Maryville gets 30 that's all they'll need. They only had one lopsided victory over Ridgeway. The others were fairly close. Either way it'll be a great game.

The only adive i have for Maryville on keeping Mr Cooper for Melrose contained is wrapping him up. When we played them ( JCM) we didnt wrap him up in the first half and he would break tackles and gain big chunks of yardage at a time. But when the 2nd half came a long, i dont think that he gained more than 30 yards.

Melrose offense is not that great. They like to throw it to #1. He had pretty good height ans has great speed. There qb is still very young and he will have a specific wr in mind to throw it to before the play starts, and if that wr isnt open he will scramble. This is when melrose is the most dangerous. There wr's do a good job of coming back to the ball. So the db's have to stick there man but then again u have to come up to keep madison ( the qb) from scrambling.

Good luck to both teams next saturday.

I dont think Melrose realizes what they are getting into thinking they can win the game. i dont think you understand how much these guys want this championship. they were deprived of it for one year and now the only thing on their mind is getting it back in their posession. yeah i know melrose wants it too, but you dont know what it feels like to have it stripped from your hands by a team you know you are better than only to watch them get pounded 21-0 in the title game. i feel sorry for all of you melrose fans that are going to get your hopes up for this game, its not worth it to tell you the truth. yeah your defense is great, wasnt tennessee high's defense supposed to be great and we scored what, 49 points on them and blanked their "unstoppble" offense. this Maryville team is superior to any team in the state without a doubt. they look like champions and they play like champions. im not predicting a blowout but this one wont be as close as you melrose fans want it to be, and you certainly wont win the game.