Maryville and Melrose

tngator

Region 4AA Tournament  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Region 4AA Tournament

Just got back from Memphis and was impressed with the talent Of Melrose. Should be a good championship game. The Melrose defense isn't hype. Forget running outside. It won't happen.

I thought there were a couple of places Melrose could be exploited, but I won't post 'em here.

I promised to pull for Melrose if they won, and I will. I thought the atmosphere for the game was great. Melrose had a great crowd, the best I've ever seen in a urban school. They have a great home field advantage.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Melrose, I just got back from Memphis, and want to be the first to congratulate you guys on a good, clean win. The atmosphere was great and I had a great time, glad I went, regardless of the outcome....now go get that STATE TITLE!!!!!

825454587[/snapback]

Dandy82, BigWheel11, & All the White House Fans,

First I would like to congratulate you on an outstanding season. You are a class act and have an excellent football team that earns respect on and off the field.

I am very happy that you came to Orange Mound and not only enjoyed two outstanding teams compete but glad that you came.

I know that you guys are going to 3A next year and the opportunity for us to play again may be a while coming, but hard fought clean battles between our teams is a testimony to what is good and right with High School Football. Good luck and I hope to meet some of you at State.

---OrangeMoundWest

Well, I guess this is it. Maryville and Melrose. I don't predict scores ... but I have a few things to say.

Seems to me that Maryville did not have a game against THS. 49-0! Are you kidding me? Someone tell me this is a joke! A semifinal game? You lose by 49 and don't score! OUCH! ... Double OUCH!!!

I think the state championship game will be a different contest. I know that SOME Maryville fans think that Melrose's defense is all hype and that Melrose's schedule is lacking. Then, according to some of the Maryville faithful ... Maryville has a gigantic advantage in the discipline, game planning, and overall coaching department.  Then there is the Maryville tradition ... you know ... the whole Maryville has won this thing ... what is it ... 6 out of 8 times or something like that? Then there is the 'Melrose is just a team full of athletes, but that's all'  philosophy that I have read. Oh ... there is the ... Melrose has speed ... but speed does you no good if there is no where to run addage I've read in a few threads. According to a lot of Maryville supporters ... It's just a forgone conclusion that Maryville wins it all on Saturday. I've read so much talk about the Maryville dynasty ... one doesn't know how to digest all of it's majesty. The all mighty Maryville Rebels ... all others quake in their presence.

One thing though ... Melrose isn't a quaking type team. They have the best defense in the state of Tennessee ... regardless of classification ... bar none. Maryville touts a Mr. Football finalist in your QB. Melrose touts two Mr. football finalist in the RB ... Mr. Cooper, and the MLB ... better known as 'Baby Ray' (Ray Lewis). Folks ... this will be a game ... don't kid yourselves ... Melrose means to win it all ... not just show up. They are fully aware of your history and how you defeated the Hillsboro team that was their nemnesis. This is going to be a great game and Melrose isn't comming there ... just to say they got there ... they are comming to win the championship ... nothing else. This will be a battle of wills. The Melrose players want to win this just as much ... if not more ... then the Maryville players.

Maryville fans, if you don't get anything else ... get this ... The game will not be a scoring fest by Maryville. There are some of you out there who will read this and take it as smack talk ... it isn't ... but if you need to view it as such to fire you up ... so be it. Melrose isn't going to give up many TD's. Period. Melrose's defense IS that good! Melrose's offense is going to score on the Maryville defense. This will be a very, very good game.

The exciting thing is ... this is a young Melrose team ... comprised of a lot of sophmores and juniors.

825454575[/snapback]

Good post KWC and congratz for getting to the State Game. Looking forward to the game. I don't know who this timbqb is but he is not a Maryville poster, so look past its posts. We know you are loaded, hope you are most teams that make it to the state game are. Glad you got most of the game figured out; maybe you can help Coach Ingram prepare his game plan.

I did a double take on one area of your post. "This is going to be a great game and Melrose isn't coming there ... just to say they got there ... they are coming to win the championship ... nothing else. This will be a battle of wills. The Melrose players want to win this just as much ... if not more ... then the Maryville players."

Really? You think Maryville cares about just saying they got there? Say Melrose wants it more than Maryville does? Why? Any one at Melrose play in a state game lately? Know what it feels like, sounds like or how to get up for it? Yea, we know its ancient history but, how many rings you got sitting on your mantel? The 1996 3A ring was a great achievement, but was a few years ago and most of those kids should have graduated by now right?

You are right "It’s (NOT) just a forgone conclusion that Maryville wins it all on Saturday. You’re right on there sir! Trust me Maryville, does not think the game will be a cake walk and will give you the best they can. We real Rebel supporters RESPECT Melrose and know we are in for a game. My advice to you is get ready for a game. Come see me Saturday, I'll be the guy wearing red!

Good post KWC and congratz for getting to the State Game.  Looking forward to the game.  I don't know who this timbqb is but he is not a Maryville poster, so look past its posts.  We know you are loaded, hope you are most teams that make it to the state game are.  Glad you got most of the game figured out; maybe you can help Coach Ingram prepare his game plan. 

I did a double take on one area of your post.  "This is going to be a great game and Melrose isn't coming there ... just to say they got there ... they are coming to win the championship ... nothing else. This will be a battle of wills. The Melrose players want to win this just as much ... if not more ... then the Maryville players."

Really?  You think Maryville cares about just saying they got there?  Say Melrose wants it more than Maryville does?  Why?  Any one at Melrose play in a state game lately?  Know what it feels like, sounds like or how to get up for it?  Yea, we know its ancient history but, how many rings you got sitting on your mantel?  The 1996 3A ring was a great achievement, but was a few years ago and most of those kids should have graduated by now right? 

You are right "It’s (NOT) just a forgone conclusion that Maryville wins it all on Saturday.  You’re right on there sir!  Trust me Maryville, does not think the game will be a cake walk and will give you the best they can.  We real Rebel supporters RESPECT Melrose and know we are in for a game.  My advice to you is get ready for a game.  Come see me Saturday, I'll be the guy wearing red!

825454756[/snapback]

I'm glad you like the post FBE. My quote stated ... "if not more". The inference being that Maryville expects to be here. I never stated that Maryville was happy just to get there, nor did I infer it. You took it upon yourself to interpret my post in the manner in which you did.

Now ... on the the Melrose state tittle history ... Melrose played for the state championship 3 years in a row from 96-98. They won it twice, once in 96 ... the other in 98. They lost the championship game to White House in 97. They moved up to 4A in 99. Changed coaches in 2000. Changed coaches again in 2001 ... the Kenny Ingram era. Playing for the championship is expected at Melrose ... just as it is in Maryville.

I'm glad you realize it will be a game ... that's why I preempted my post with the words 'some Maryville fans'. I know not every Maryville fan thinks this game will be a cake walk ... and my post was not directed at them. I was very clear and concise in my post ... and to whom it was directed towards.

I will be at the game also ... I'll have 4 little boys tagging along behind me.

P.S., my comments weren't directed towards timbdp either. If i'm correct ... bpd stands for Blue Devil Pride .... and that is a White House phrase. My comments are and were directed to the MARYVILLE fans who simply think Maryville will just roll over Melrose, not to the Maryville fans who realize that Melrose is a serious contender.

I don't think any real Maryville fans think that Melrose will be ran over by Maryville. I still think that Maryville will put up some numbers against Melrose simply because Maryville has something that not many teams see...a balanced attack. They specialize at throwing the ball just as well as they do running it. You can key in on our QB and WR's, but then you miss keying in on our running backs. Or you can try to key in on one running back and not the other. We have a TRUE balanced attack. We have a power back, and we have a finesse type back. We have a passing game thats awesome. So herein lies the problem...Melrose will have to be coached well enough to stop Maryville in every aspect of their offense, they can't just focus on one person. Also, Maryville kids believe that the season is unsuccessful if they don't bring home a GOLD ball. The silver ball won't do, we don't have anywhere saying that we were state runners up. We don't accept that, we have gold on the mind and have had gold on the mind since middle school. Its tough stopping an entire TEAM that plays like a TEAM when they have one central goal. You keep mentioning our Mr. Football candidate and you Mr. Football candidates, well you don't realize that we don't look into that. We look into it as The Black Swarm or the MIB. By that we mean that no matter how good one player is, they aren't above the team. You never hear one person whine about not getting to play or not getting the ball because they all realize its for the betterment of the TEAM. I can honestly say after watching football in Murfreesboro, Clarksville, Crossville, Cookeville, Maryville, Knoxville, Nashville, and Bowling Green (Kentucky), that I have never seen a team do the same things. Failure is not an option, its not something they can live with. When they lose they feel as though they let down every player before them and every player after them. The Rebels on their helmet serve as the largest amount of pride ever...while other teams have players and that are playing for the future, Maryville looks at it as the future being now. One day, one step at a time.

I don't think any real Maryville fans think that Melrose will be ran over by Maryville.  I still think that Maryville will put up some numbers against Melrose simply because Maryville has something that not many teams see...a balanced attack.  They specialize at throwing the ball just as well as they do running it.  You can key in on our QB and WR's, but then you miss keying in on our running backs.  Or you can try to key in on one running back and not the other.  We have a TRUE balanced attack.  We have a power back, and we have a finesse type back.  We have a passing game thats awesome.  So herein lies the problem...Melrose will have to be coached well enough to stop Maryville in every aspect of their offense, they can't just focus on one person.  Also, Maryville kids believe that the season is unsuccessful if they don't bring home a GOLD ball.  The silver ball won't do, we don't have anywhere saying that we were state runners up.  We don't accept that, we have gold on the mind and have had gold on the mind since middle school.  Its tough stopping an entire TEAM that plays like a TEAM when they have one central goal.  You keep mentioning our Mr. Football candidate and you Mr. Football candidates, well you don't realize that we don't look into that.  We look into it as The Black Swarm or the MIB.  By that we mean that no matter how good one player is, they aren't above the team.  You never hear one person whine about not getting to play or not getting the ball because they all realize its for the betterment of the TEAM.  I can honestly say after watching football in Murfreesboro, Clarksville, Crossville, Cookeville, Maryville, Knoxville, Nashville, and Bowling Green (Kentucky), that I have never seen a team do the same things.  Failure is not an option, its not something they can live with.  When they lose they feel as though they let down every player before them and every player after them.  The Rebels on their helmet serve as the largest amount of pride ever...while other teams have players and that are playing for the future, Maryville looks at it as the future being now.  One day, one step at a time.

825455113[/snapback]

Best said by one of the best! Good post. Ask last years class of 2004. McCord, Hodge and other great HS seniors who mised 4 trips in a row. We lost to Mor West in the semi's and it still sour in those guy's minds.

To KWC, thanks for clearing it up and I am sorry I mis-understood but our kids want it pretty bad as well and they expect to have it. Enjoy the game with those youngins and good luck.

Edited by FBEmeritus

Good post MaryvilleRebels. So ... am I to understand that all of the Maryville fans, and I'm talking Maryville people ... not East Tn football fans ... not the fans of teams who have lost to Maryville ... not the people who, who for whatever reason or not, seem to have an axe to grind against Melrose ... but the people who support and root for Maryville ... the same ones who have come on here and flipantly made remarks about Maryville routing Melrose ... those people ... I am to believe that they aren't "real" Maryville fans? Quite the contrary ... they are "real" Maryville fans ... and those are their opinions. I am not saying that ALL Maryville fans think this way ... but make no mistake and don't insult mine and everybody else's intelligence on this board by trying to say that there aren't some "real" Maryville fans who don't think that way. Why not think that way ... Maryville has basically annihilated almost every opponent it has faced.

Yes ... I have mentioned the the two young men who are up for awards on this team. I have also mentioned th young man on Maryville's team who is up for an award as well. No horn tooting ... just a statement of facts.

Maryville has a balanced attack. I've heard it time and time again. Your QB is the real deal ... no doubt about it. Your team executes flawlessly, evident in it's state tittle performance. Sounds like this will be a very good game then because the Melrose defense is balanced as well. I have yet to see them change or alter there defense to try and 'take away' one thing or another. They line up and play ball ... no gimmicks ... no stacking the box ... nothing. They are that good on defense ... they don't have to use gimmicks.

Ahhhh ... the team concept. Well ... one could read your post and come away with the impression that either Maryville has locked up the team concept all to themselves ... or that you think that because Melrose has two young men being touted for there play throughout the year that they rely heavily on those two guys to make plays ... that Melrose doesn't play team oriented ... or that no other team in Tenneessee plays team oriented football as well as Maryville. One could read your post and come away with that impression. I don't think that you were implying any of those things ... I just layed them on the table ... just to give you another perspective of how your post on that topic could have been interpreted. Let me state this fact emphatically. Melrose is one of, if not the most, team oriented football teams. Maryville is team oriented and plays like a team. Melrose is team oriented and plays like a team.

The 'playing to win ... losing is not an option' mentality is not a Maryville monopoly. The players who come to Melrose to play football come for one reason. To win championships, not to settle for silver ... but to take the gold. They have their eyes on the prize ... and they too have been looking at this from childhood.

So ... it seems we have two teams with the will to win, the athletes to perform the tasks with excellent and coaching and well disciplined. This will definately be a good game.

Let me not forget Melrose's offense. Maryvilles defense will have to stop them as well. Melrose's offense often gets overlooked ... it shouldn't.