Maryville vs Melrose

REBELRON

Post like this one disgust me. Any Maryville Pplayer will tell you Melrose deserves that Gold Ball just as well as they do. Both teams gave it their all. One play could of and actually did change the outcome of the game. Rebelraider how about you leanr to be humble in victory, it will make your program look so much better. i think each team gave out their fair share of licks, actually I would say Melrose gave out more. Melrose was outcoached yes, outplayed NO. The game could of went either way.

825468917[/snapback]

melrose may deserve the ball but they wont be recieving one this year. i never said that they didnt deserve it, and i never said that we smoked them westtn. our program looks absolutely fantastic even with my talk, our coaches and our players are a class act, but im not one of those coaches or players so im free to discuss my opinion freely. melrose did give out more licks, but we won overall. i disagree with the fact that we didnt outplay them. we drove the ball on them very well, and we were close to the goal line many times but came up short on fourth down. we did a great job moving the ball all night long. they didnt have many red zone opportunities all night long. i can remember maybe three or four times that they were in the red zone, and they only capitalized once, but we only capitalized once as well. we had more opportunities than they did though. they punted several times, we punted three times. we definately outcoached them.

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's posts like this that make me abandon my normal neutrality (I don't have a 4A team, I don't care about 4A) for this game and say GO MELROSE!

825467319[/snapback]

I just read your post today and it turned out to be pretty prophetic! Melrose's defense is as good a one we have faced in some time. They bring their corners up to the line of scrimmage and did a good job of jamming our receivers and with their pass rush that was very effective. They also have tremendous closing speed and many routes that appeared open ended up not being open after all. But Maryville's offense deserves more credit for this win then some seem to be willing to give. They dominated time of posession and yardage. 18-7 in first downs, 199-98 net rushing. The drive they had and the clock they burned after holding Melrose on the fourth down won the game and the INT sealed it after that. Quarles did not go for the field goals because he had no fear of losing by two on a Melrose field goal. IMO he wanted touchdowns to put the game away. Had he kicked the two field goals and it was 13-6 a td and two point conversion still beats them. He has lost two games the past two years and I never question his decisions. Teams who pay attention to detail have an advantage in these games. Maryville always has a good kicking game and it cost Melrose that they didn't. Gary Tucker barely had to leave his feet to block the PAT. It almost hit the center in the butt. I have to say the better team won given the stats and time of possesion. It is easy to say Maryville did not "look that good" being held to 7 points, but on this day it was all they needed. If you look at the numbers from this game closely I don't think you would feel they got outplayed. It speaks volumes to a program's overall strength when they are known as an offensive team and win a defensive struggle in a game this big.

Congrats to Melrose....Memphis is proud of you!!!

Opperman....I must put my 2 cents in....There is much more to kicking field goals and PAT's than "getting a big kid out there and telling him to kick it through the pipes". The Ridgeway kicker is in 10 grade, lucky to weigh 145 pounds and is 8 field goals short of breaking the shelby county record for field goals! He played from the middle of September with a broken ankle (injured it in a soccer tournament) and took the cast off the week they won their first game against Craigmont and hopped out on the field and booted in several field goals and did the kick offs and hopped back to the sidelines hoping the special teams would stop the return so he could get off the field.....you must have some discipline, accuracy and a love for your coach to do that!!!! (By the way, the dr. relased him the week of the Melrose game...ironically he didn't even get a chance to kick a field goal in that game!)

825468398[/snapback]

What I'm saying is if you can find a kid with a strong leg and just keep it simple, let him just focus on kicking, that'd be the best way to find a kicker in a city school with no soccer program. Ridgeway basically won't really ever have to worry about kickers because their soccer program is so good.

i thought melrose defensivebacks should of got penelized the way they blasted the recievers after they saw he had no shot at catching the ball, on one drive they got away with 3 or 4 vicious late hits on rebel recievers.  props to the rebel recievers for jumping right back up after getting cheap shoted.

825468365[/snapback]

Heck no, those aren't cheap shots. Keep your head up or you're going to lose it out there. There's a reason safeties like Steve Atwater, John Lynch, Jack Tatum, Cliff Harris, and so many others are and will be remembered for many years...and it's not gently tucking receivers into bed at night.

Quarles was right in not going for the field goals actually, because if Melrose had actually been able to execute their offense, they would not have been kicking field goals.  If the game had gone like the coaches had though, they needed more points than field goals were going to give them to keep up with Melrose, so they thought.  Obviously Melrose couldnt get much going on offense, due to Maryville's stellar defensive performance.  Here is some advice Melrose FIND A KICKER   and maybe you wouldnt lose by 1 point so many times.  It was clearly obvious who was the better team, and seeing that gold ball lifted in the air was magnificent.  Melrose, go back to orange mound and try again next year.

825468866[/snapback]

1) It most certainly wasn't clearly obvious who the better team was.

2) It's not as simple as just finding a kicker in inner-city schools. There just aren't that many out there.

i couldnt agree more somedude.  ive seen that gold ball in the air from on the field and in the stands, and i held the trophy this year, that is probably the greatest memory ill have of high school, holding the golden ball as a senior.  well melrose you just couldnt get the job done.  matt valentine and gary tucker ate your lunch all day long and just think, they'll be back next year! but you wont, so it doesnt matter...

825468891[/snapback]

Melrose won't be back?! Their coach is 37-4 in his career, with those losses by a combined five points...they return 8 starters on defense and a bunch on offense too. Melrose may even be BETTER next year on defense, which is frightening.

from an unbiased opinion from watching on tv..... Melrose actually appeared to be the better team but the best team doesn't always win and that was the case tonight.

825468085[/snapback]

Not sure what game you were watching??? It could'nt have been the Mayville/Melrose game. Melrose has a great football team. However, Maryville was clearly better on this day. You need to look over the stats of the game and maybe watch a re-run, or maybe take football 101 and learn the game...

I talked with several Melrose fans after the game. They were very gracious.

I told them their D and their defensive plan was great. I don't know if they saw the Morristown West semi-final game from last season when Maryville lost, but a lot of the things they did were very similar to what Mo-West did (i.e. safeties 15-20 yards deep and press coverage from the corners). Their DB's tackled and covered as well as any I have seen.

The Melrose fans said Maryville had by far the best D they had played against. They said they were surprised when Childs ran down Cooper.

Maryville did enough on offense to keep field position and play most of the game on Melrose's side of the field. Maryville outgained Melrose 199 to 98 on the ground. Melrose outgained Maryville 100 to 94 in the air. Maryville moved the chains, as evidenced by the 18-7 difference in first downs. Other than the score, I think the most telling stat was time of possession, Maryville 29:59 and Melrose 18:01.

Go Rebs.

What a game.. What a year.. First I would like to congratulate Melrose on a fantastic year. (Man what a defense). Well the big game was all it what it was supposed to be. I feel like we blew some opportunities to put more points on the board but just win baby…

Defense: Great performance. DE’s played an awesome game. DT’s very strong, should be the best in TN next year. LB’s wow.. All played great. Parnell was awesome. Maybe he didn’t have the most tackles but he was busting someone in the facemask on every play. Childs, thank the lord for blessing you with great speed, thanks for what I thought was a game saving tackle on that breakaway run.

Offence: I thought we moved the ball better than we are getting credit for. Cade thanks for 3 great years. This was not one of Cades best passing performances but he found a way to move the team. He was high more often than not. However, in his defense the Melrose secondary were awesome. I also feel that one of our main receivers became a little gun shy after a couple of, what I thought were, late and uncalled for hits. Childs, great catch in the end zone. Tallent thanks for a great year. Can’t wait to see you run next year.. AB and the offensive line. What can I say? You played great all year and this game was no exception. Like I said before we didn’t put up a lot of points but look at time of position and yards gained (right at 200 yards rushing, against the best defense in Tn this year). You guys got ripped off. In my opinion AB and the MHS offensive line should have won the offensive MVP for the game. Thank you Mighty Rebels for some great memories. Thank you seniors for a great run. You guys are the hardest working bunch I believe MHS has ever had. And your friendships are second to none. Good luck in all you do and continue to take care of each other. Go Rebs… 2004 – 4A State champs. ;)

[Okay, several things I think will be important in the game:

Papa Chois

1. I don't think the Rebel offense can be stopped. That being said, they'll score more than Melrose has given up in one game this year. Melrose, I don't think, has a lot of experience playing from behind. Couple that with what seems to be a relatively unproductive offense and you're in trouble.

2. The Rebel defense will hold. They may give up a few, but they will be good enough for the offense to cover.

3. Experience. I've got to give the edge to the Rebels just because they've been there before. They've played the best from out West in their careers. Melrose cannot say the same about the East. Therefore, I think that MHS is less likely to be surprised and shellshocked at whatever they find the level of competition to be. Not saying Melrose will be surprised or shellshocked just stating that I believe MHS is LESS LIKELY to be.

4. Discipline. I'm not saying that Melrose does not have discipline, but I've never seen any program as disciplined as the Red Rebels. "When the team is up against it, and the breaks are beating the boys," I'm counting on the Rebels to respond with authority. I'm counting on them to play just like they always do and thereby to prevail. I'm counting on them to stick to the game plan and to persevere with belief and faith. And, ignorantly perhaps, I'm counting on Melrose to abandon the one that brought them to the dance and act in desperation.

5. Coaching. There simply are NONE BETTER than those at MHS. They will have the team as prepared as possible. Melrose, I'm sure, will be prepared as well. But I cannot believe they will be more prepared.

Having said all that, my final prediction for this season is as follows:

Maryville Red Rebels - 31

Melrose Golden Cats - 17

I hope that Melrose is all their fans have told us they are.  Good luck to all.

825466389[/snapback]

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

papa chaois,

You've drawn a very BOLD conclusion and raised some interesting points.... Question: Have you seen Melrose play?

If so, then I think that you're in a unique position to provide a CREDIBLE review.

As such, I'll take your analysis @ face value.

If, on the other hand, you have NOT seen Melrose play... I think that your conclusion, while enlightening, is suspect--AT BEST. It is based on a FAULTY premise--a series of ASSUMPTIONS.

There is a 50/50 chance that your analysis may turn out to be accurate (COINCEDENTALLY). Meanwhile, I would like to offer a rebutal, simply to illustrate the FALLACY of your position:

1) "...Rebel offense can't be stopped...they'll score more than Melrose has given up in one game this year."

QUESTIONS:

-- How do you KNOW that the Rebel offense CAN'T be stopped?

-- Is it because they have not been stopped all year?

-- Is this notion being reinforced by Maryville's recent anialation of Tennessee (more on them, later). Afterall... if Maryville can put up 49 points on an undefeated, semifinal opponent...

-- Do you KNOW that Melrose's defense can NOT shut down Maryville's high-powred? Afterall...Melrose has allowed the FEWEST points of ALL 4A football teams...

-- Do you KNOW if Melrose does not MATCH UP better vs Maryville's type of offensive schemes (and personnel)?

-- Have you considered the POSSIBILITY that Melrose's defense MAY actually be the ONE defensive unit that CAN stop Maryville's high-powered offense?

-- Is it not COMMON (and accepted) knowledge that DEFENSE wins championships, not HIGH-POWERED offenses?

CONSIDER:

a) 1/28/01 -- Baltimore 34 NYG 7

;) 2/03/02 -- N.E Patriots 20 SL Rams 17

c) 1/26/03 -- Tampa Bay 48 Oakland 21

* d) 1/18/04 -- N.E. Patriots 24 Indianapolis Colts 14

* = conf. champshp

QESTION: What do ALL these SUPERBOWL games have in common?

ANSWER: The team that had the better DEFFESE (going in) WON.

The team that had the high-powered offense (going in)LOST.

2) "...Rebel defense will hold...(Melrose's) relatively unproductive offense..."

QUESTIONS:

-- How do you KNOW that the Rebels defense can hold Melrose?

--Do you KNOW if Melrose's offense is not MORE productive vs. Maryville's defensive personnel?

--Have you considered that Maryville's defense may not MATCH UP well against Melrose's offense or personnel?

3) "... Experience--edge Rebels..they have been there before..."

-- your first point about "experience" is bona fide--many of Maryville's players have, IN FACT, been to the championship game before. That experience is DEFINETLY a plus.

-- Your point about..." Maryville's played the best from west...Melrose can't say the same about the ease.." lacks credence.

QUESTIONS:

--Has THIS Maryville TEAM played THIS Melrose team?

--What does THIS (west) MELROSE team have to do with past (west) teams

--What does Maryville's past performance vs OTHER West teams have to do with current performance against THIS west team?

Papa Chois, I will not go into specifics relative to your other points about discipline and coaching. I will simply ask the SAME basic question:

How do you KNOW?

Please allow me to tell you what I DO know: DEFENSE usually wins championships. High-powered offenses usually do NOT...

My PREDICTION: Well... I simply do not have enough BONA FIDE data on which to base an intelligent prediction about this game--there are simply too many UNKNOWN factors that could determine its outcome!

Papa Chois, I APPRECIATE your taking the time to provide your assestment on the game. It was very interesting and entertaining, indeed. I would like to offer up this cautionary note, however:

Conclusions drawn upon faulty data are a fallacy and, therefore, lack merit.

A classic illustration of this unerring principle can be seen with Tennessee High School Football rankings, most noteably BEFORE 11-26-04. Tell me...are we to believe that the Tennessee Vikings (no offense, Tennessee fans) are REALLY the 2nd best 4A team in the State of Tennessee? I mean...really?

Thanks for your prayers of a safe commute, Papa Chois. You're a classy individual.... I look forward to a great game between to top-notch squads. Good luck to BOTH teams (of course I'll be pulling for the Golden Wildcats).

--TraderB

825466810[/snapback]

Trader -

If I'd read this before the game, I'd probably have taken offense and fired back. However, it's after the game now. It's after a nice weekend. It's after my boys won another gold ball...so I'm in good spirits.

Actually, you were mostly right. I should have premised the entire post by saying that it's just my opinion as a Rebel fan. I do that for every game and usually the opposition never responds. The Rebel fans know me and know where I'm coming from, so it's my mistake for not taking into consideration my audience.

Thanks for your kind words about our program and best of luck next year.