Who is the best team ever in TSSAA history?

str8stylin

What about the 92 team from Clinton. They beat Riverdale in the third round who beat cleavland the year before the start of their streak. Clinton was ranked #11 in the USA Today at 14-0, but they did get upset in the championship game.

And the 97 Trousdale County team that outscored their opponents 736-56 giving up no more that 8 in a game and won the championship with a 15-0 record

Players off of the 98 MBA Team:

Hunter Hillenmeyer - Vanderbilt - Starting for Chicago Bears

David McIntosh - UNC

David Farrell - Three Time All Ivy at Yale

Jay Davis and Ben Burn both walked on and Played one year at Vandy

Blake Bergeron - Three Year Starter at Davidson

Will McMurry - Three Year starter at Davidson

Todd Prevost - Furman

Jonas Rodriguez - Yale

Tate Rich - Yale

Barton Simmons - Yale, twice all Ivy

Matt Neal - three year starter at Sewanne

James Pittman - Rice

Ingle Martin - Florida/Furman

Moses Osemwegie - Vandy - 1st Team All Sec

Dominique Morris - Vandy - three year starter

Hulsey Smith - SMU

Not to mention about 10 other guys that played other Division I sports. People often focus too much on MBA's discipline. Believe it or not, there are actually some players with talent. Outside of Beard and Wesley Homles, that PC team had very few standout athletes.

825479827[/snapback]

Impressive, I was not trying to disrespect the MBA program. I do recall David McIntosh having a great game. Moses Osemwegie has had an excellent junior season at Vandy and I expect he'll be playing on Sunday in two years! I'm glad Ingle found a program that gave him an opportunity to prove he was capable and deserving of his high school accolades.

Impressive, I was not trying to disrespect the MBA program.  I do recall David McIntosh having a great game.  Moses Osemwegie has had an excellent junior season at Vandy and I expect he'll be playing on Sunday in two years!  I'm glad Ingle found a program that gave him an opportunity to prove he was capable and deserving of his high school accolades.

825480876[/snapback]

I did not mean to imply that you meant any disrespect, sorry about that, I was just trying to shed some light on an commonly brought up misconception.

Speaking of Ingle Martin, did anyone see his Hail Mary pass in Furman's 14-13 loss to James Madison last weekend? Furman had the ball at its own 40 and Martin threw a Hail Mary on the last play of the game that went a few yards deep into the end zone and went what seemed like a mile high.

For a guy who probably got more press for his scrambling/running ability than his passing ability in high school, he seems to have really picked up some arm strength. Throwing a 60+ yard pass is not necessarily a big deal for a college QB, but if you saw how far and high this ball went, you would have been impressed.

Speaking of Ingle Martin, did anyone see his Hail Mary pass in Furman's 14-13 loss to James Madison last weekend?  Furman had the ball at its own 40 and Martin threw a Hail Mary on the last play of the game that went a few yards deep into the end zone and went what seemed like a mile high. 

For a guy who probably got more press for his scrambling/running ability than his passing ability in high school, he seems to have really picked up some arm strength.  Throwing a 60+ yard pass is not necessarily a big deal for a college QB, but if you saw how far and high this ball went, you would have been impressed.

825480886[/snapback]

We went up to Furman for the game. That was a pretty disappointing loss. I can't understand why Coach Lamb will not throw the ball on first or second down. He never calls any kind of QB keeper either. And hopefully now, after losing by an extra point, he will let Ingle kick. But that hail mary shows Ingle has some arm strength.

Also, JMU rolled over William and Mary on Friday. It should be a showdown between JMU and Montana in Chatanooga this Friday.

Edited by Redtwin

• 8 years later...

Wow, i pulled this one way out of the drawer lol....Teams i never saw play, because i am only 34, but i have to mention my hometown Oak Ridge Wildcats in 1979. Ranked #3 in the nation that year. Doesn't get much better than that. Best team i have personally seen 94 Riverdale. Unreal talent. Somebody mentioned 92 Clinton. If Scotty Whitt had of kept his head on straight he would've been an NFL hall of famer. Still the best RB in terms of athletic skill i have ever seen. Amazing athlete.

I'm glad that you did resurrect this thread! I really enjoyed reading through all ten pages and hearing people's thoughts on what the best team ever was.

Personally, my pick is the 1972 TN High Vikings. There are so many great teams mentioned on this thread...but I think a team has to be undefeated to be in the conversation

I'm glad that you did resurrect this thread! I really enjoyed reading through all ten pages and hearing people's thoughts on what the best team ever was.

Personally, my pick is the 1972 TN High Vikings. There are so many great teams mentioned on this thread...but I think a team has to be undefeated to be in the conversation

I agree. I meant to say the 1980 OR Wildcats who were 13-0 and ranked #3 in the nation that year, although 79 was an awesome team, too.

I agree. I meant to say the 1980 OR Wildcats who were 13-0 and ranked #3 in the nation that year, although 79 was an awesome team, too.

Oak Ridge has an amazing tradition...you guys have had so many great teams that belong in the discussion. I also believe the 2005 team had the talent and potential to be right in the thick of this conversation if the previous coaching staff had stayed intact.

I was actually mainly referring to the '97 Pearl Cohn team with my undefeated statement, so I didn't mean any offense at all to the '79 OR team...but most of those people who mentioned PC probably won't be checking this thread anymore :mrgreen:

The

Oak Ridge has an amazing tradition...you guys have had so many great teams that belong in the discussion. I also believe the 2005 team had the talent and potential to be right in the thick of this conversation if the previous coaching staff had stayed intact.

I was actually mainly referring to the '97 Pearl Cohn team with my undefeated statement, so I didn't mean any offense at all to the '79 OR team...but most of those people who mentioned PC probably won't be checking this thread anymore :mrgreen:

The

Thanks, AR. Crazy to think, but Oak Ridge from 75-80 was ranked in the top 10 in the nation in 3 of those years. 75,79, and 80. I think only Maryville and Maybe Riverdale can claim that. One of the great runs in Tennessee history.

Edited by SweetScience