Who is the best team ever in TSSAA history?

str8stylin

The 1987 Jefferson County Patriots still hold the distinction of being the highest rated TN team ever in the USA Today Super 25 Rankings. They finished the season at #4. Team was loaded from top to bottom led by USA Today National defensive player of the Year- Todd Collins. Off top of my head that team had the following-

Todd Collins- GA- went to two Super Bowls, winning one with the Rams

Brian Spivey- TN- started in college

Taylor Quarles- Furman- started in college

Jason Ensley- Furman- started in college

David Satterfield- Appy State- started in college

Kenny Mattison- MTSU - started in college

Darren Cunningham- MTSU and Carson-Newman- started in college

Erik Hutchins- UTC and Carson-Newman - started in college

Eric Carter- UTC - started in college

Glen Puryear- TN Tech- started in college

David Cagle- Carson-Newman - injured- started in baseball

Mike Hance- Carson-Newman

Tracy Ivy- Wingate

Andre Batts- Hawaii - signed, never attended

Bobby Morgan- TSU- signed, never attended

Poppy Carter- UTC

Also had at least 3 sign baseball scholarships including Kevin and Kenneth Harrell at Walter's State and John Holland at Carson-Newman.

I'm forgetting a few as well.

The Murfreesboro Central team was truly one of the greats.  My highschool played for them when they won state.  I have talked to people who were around back then and they said that Central was so good that they could've beaten MTSU at the time, and possibly some other small colleges.

825469887[/snapback]

Murfreesboro Central had an undefeated team in 1971 that beat Melrose in the Sate Championship game 36-0. That was a very good Melrose team and the game was not close. That was surely one of the best teams I have seen along with the 96 Melrose team.

Murfreesboro Central had an undefeated team in 1971 that beat Melrose in the Sate Championship game 36-0.  That was a very good Melrose team and the game was not close.  That was surely one of the best teams I have seen along with the 96 Melrose team.

825470970[/snapback]

Sure that was'nt 1970 ? TN high won the state in 71-72. Lost to Murfreesboro in semi's in 70.. 20-8 and yes the Central team was one of the best, for darn sure the biggest, those guys were HUGE!!!

Sure that was'nt 1970 ? TN high won the state in 71-72. Lost to Murfreesboro in semi's in 70.. 20-8 and yes the Central team was one of the best, for darn sure the biggest, those guys were HUGE!!!

825472926[/snapback]

You are Correct. It was 70. I was thinking about the 70-71 school year. They kept there biggest players behind the stands until a few minutes before kickoff. Then all of a sudden these huge guys come on the field. Their fullback was bigger thatn most of our (Melrose) linemen! The game was never close.

Who was the Riverdale player from the '94 team that went to the NFL? One thing that keeps coimg up is the "Mythical National Title". I don't understand how any news service can possibly say one high school on the East coast is better than one on the West coast. I wish they would stop doing this for the most part, because it's causing alot of teams to go out and embarass other teams for no real reason at all! There was a kid a few years ago that rolled up over 600 yds. rushing against some small school just to get the USA Today rushing title. There's no need in that. As far as the best team in TN history, as bad as it hurts me to say it, I think it's the '04 Riverdale team. That team is just plain sick! But there are other school from back before the reclassification and playoff systems that might have competed. It's really just too hard to pin down one squad over another from a different time.