Who is the best team ever in TSSAA history?

str8stylin

Wow, i pulled this one way out of the drawer lol....Teams i never saw play, because i am only 34, but i have to mention my hometown Oak Ridge Wildcats in 1979. Ranked #3 in the nation that year. Doesn't get much better than that. Best team i have personally seen 94 Riverdale. Unreal talent. Somebody mentioned 92 Clinton. If Scotty Whitt had of kept his head on straight he would've been an NFL hall of famer. Still the best RB in terms of athletic skill i have ever seen. Amazing athlete.

The amazing thing about that is Scotty Whitt probably wasn't the best running back in East Tennessee that year ( Travis Cozart at Lenoir City). Two of the best backs to ever play in Tennessee

The amazing thing about that is Scotty Whitt probably wasn't the best running back in East Tennessee that year ( Travis Cozart at Lenoir City). Two of the best backs to ever play in Tennessee

Hmmm, i don't know about that. Maybe not, but i saw Scotty Whitt play a few times and i have never seen a guy since with that athletic talent and size. Except maybe Hurd from Beech. I'm sure Cozart was great, too. Can't imagine him being much better than Whitt, though if he even was.

Hmmm, i don't know about that. Maybe not, but i saw Scotty Whitt play a few times and i have never seen a guy since with that athletic talent and size. Except maybe Hurd from Beech. I'm sure Cozart was great, too. Can't imagine him being much better than Whitt, though if he even was.

They played at same time in East Tennessee. Travis was 6'2 220 with 42 inch vertical and 4.42 in the 40. Travis signed with Tennessee while Whitt signed with Iowa. Travis was runner up for Mr. Football that season to the QB from Riverdale. He was a Blue Chip All-American and was the state of Tennessee's only member of The Atlanta Journal's to 50 players in the country. He was the nations number 1 safety and number 7 ranked running back. Several publications had him top 5 in the country athlete. Was offered to play basketball and football at Alabama. Enrolled at UT and was sent to Coffeeville Community college with Lenoard Little where Travis was an All- American wide receiver because the running back a head of him was going to Nebraska when he got there. Travis came back to UT and was the starting tailback coming out of camp over Jay Graham after the spring game. However a few months later he was dismissed from the team for selling drugs to an undercover cop. Travis had stints in the CFL and with the Dolphins and the Rams but has spent a lot of time in prison. The local news after one of his arrest said he may be the best athlete to ever come out of East Tennessee. Obviously its an opinion but he and Scotty were as good as anyone I've seen and that includes Hurd. It was a big debate in the early 90's between Scotty and Cozart. Cozart was ranked higher on the national scene which isn't always correct.

Edited by FLMS

They played at same time in East Tennessee. Travis was 6'2 220 with 42 inch vertical and 4.42 in the 40. Travis signed with Tennessee while Whitt signed with Iowa. Travis was runner up for Mr. Football that season to the QB from Riverdale. He was a Blue Chip All-American and was the state of Tennessee's only member of The Atlanta Journal's to 50 players in the country. He was the nations number 1 safety and number 7 ranked running back. Several publications had him top 5 in the country athlete. Was offered to play basketball and football at Alabama. Enrolled at UT and was sent to Coffeeville Community college with Lenoard Little where Travis was an All- American wide receiver because the running back a head of him was going to Nebraska when he got there. Travis came back to UT and was the starting tailback coming out of camp over Jay Graham after the spring game. However a few months later he was dismissed from the team for selling drugs to an undercover cop. Travis had stints in the CFL and with the Dolphins and the Rams but has spent a lot of time in prison. The local news after one of his arrest said he may be the best athlete to ever come out of East Tennessee. Obviously its an opinion but he and Scotty were as good as anyone I've seen and that includes Hurd. It was a big debate in the early 90's between Scotty and Cozart. Cozart was ranked higher on the national scene which isn't always correct.

True. You also have to look at the two teams both of them were on. Clinton in 1992 had a lot of talent. Moreso then just Scotty, so with that being said they didn't have to rely on him to do EVERYTHING, unlike LC probably had to do with Cozart. So, for that reason Cozart probably had better "numbers" because he was pretty much all Lenior City had, so his numbers were gonna be inflated more than Scotty's. Probably received the ball a lot more then Scotty did at Clinton.. Clinton should've won state that year, i thought, but was ousted by Gallatin in the finals. Pretty cool though that 2 years in a row 2 Anderson County teams made it to the finals. Oak Ridge won it in 91, and Clinton went, but lost in 92. In the end, they were both crazy talents who wasted it through horrible decisions in their lives.

Edited by SweetScience

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Maybe!.There offense was unstoppable that year.

True... there offense was unstoppable. I think they were a great team and I certainly respect your opinion. However, Alcoa and Greenville were unstoppable against stiffer competition. 2A was kinda weak that year. I mean seriously.... they played Trinity Christian for the state title. They were cake!!!

True... there offense was unstoppable. I think they were a great team and I certainly respect your opinion. However, Alcoa and Greenville were unstoppable against stiffer competition. 2A was kinda weak that year. I mean seriously.... they played Trinity Christian for the state title. They were cake!!!

Agreed.

How about CAK 2011?