Father Ryan Tournament

olahtoo3

Irishdad great job at the table.  I liked hearing you more and other folks less.

May I suggest one thing!  Since you have 30 teams and all the wrestlers bring their wrestling bags and coolers you have a major accident waiting to happen.

You had 434 bags and coolers in the bleachers.  I had 3 or 4 folks fall on me because they had no where to walk.

I was taught not to gripe without a solution.  There needs to be an area taped off  just for team bags.  They pile them up in sections just like the military does when they're getting ready to deploy somewhere.

825512413[/snapback]

Who there? If they do it like this it creates a big problem. Thieves. If you seperate the athletes from their bags positive contact is lost. I hate to say it but there are just too many stories of wrestlers having their singlets bags and headgears disappear. Sorry but you wouldnt get me to put my bag in a pile where another guy can pretend to get something out of his bag and steal me stuff.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes FR got called for stalling, but the kid from Overton didn't get off the hips either - isn't that stalling too? I know I'm the 'nit wit' on a lot of things, but this kid from Overton did get a stalling call early in the match and the coach protested it and then never got called again. The rest of the match (from my view) he never got off Oddo's hips. When you are the top guy aren't you suppose to move from side to side and not ride the hips constantly?

It was a great match! Luckily there were fans sitting between Overton & FR - otherwise there could have been a brawl.

Congrats to Franklin - You boys look good!

"Oddo was clearly "protecting" his 2-0 ----I would call it stalling------ in the final minute. He got hit with the first stalling point with about 30-35 seconds left. I fgured that was going to be it. No ref was going to hit a Ryan wrestler with a second stalling point to tie up a championship match in Ryan's own tournament right in front of the Ryan crowd with less than 30 seconds left in the match----------------but he did, and with only 10 seconds left. And it was the right call,--------Oddo jumped backwards out of bounds to avoid a shot by Jennings--------but one I was surprised to see----------I turned to the guy sitting next to me and said "gutsy call, but he may not get out of here alive". The Overton wrestler got what he needed, but did not protect himself with only 9 seconds left. If anything, after the final 30 seconds of that match , it might have been the Ryan crowd screaming "bias."

Yeah, you're right here. The uncalled takedown that you missed was definitely a takedown. It was too obvious, and his feet were waaaaay in bounds. That's what really got to me. It wasn't like the ref blew the whistle as they were going out of bounds. He blew the whistle a couple of seconds after Jennings had both his legs stretched out, in order to stay in bounds, which he did. The other 2 stalling calls against Oddo were the "make-ups" for the bad takedown call, imo.

as for the crowded conditions and bags ..sorry we were booked solid and did the best we could. putting the bags in a central area would only promote thievery..note to the punk that stole the Ft Campbell kids wallet took the cash then dropped it outside...you are a common thief and I wish the kid you stole from could have a few minutes on the mat with....an editorial note ..I do not know how the injured wrestrers faired ..but do know that they are in the prayers of the Irish team and parents...again a large thanks to all the teams parents students and friends who helped make the 36th invitational great....

Yes FR got called for stalling, but the kid from Overton didn't get off the hips either - isn't that stalling too?  I know I'm the 'nit wit' on a lot of things, but this kid from Overton did get a stalling call early in the match and the coach protested it and then never got called again.  The rest of the match (from my view) he never got off Oddo's hips.  When you are the top guy aren't you suppose to move from side to side and not ride the hips constantly?

It was a great match!  Luckily there were fans sitting between Overton & FR - otherwise there could have been a brawl.

Congrats to Franklin - You boys look good!

825512735[/snapback]

The Overton wrestler was not stalling. He was attempting a cradles every time. That is his move and what got him to the finals. The FR wrestler was not attempting to score, ie.....Stalling. He was working to get to his feet, but once he got there he went out of bounds every time. He was not working to score but to get out of bounds. I thought that match was poorly officiated. The stalling should have been called earlier and it was clearly a take down from where I was sitting. The stalling for two periods was also a great setup for that last takedown.

Both wrestlers looked to be gassed out and it was a fun match to watch. The jtwo teams battle again tomorrow so I hope to see these two wrestle again then.

Also, I thought the Overton and Father Ryan fans were way better than they ever have been. They were yelling for their wrestler and not at each other. Which has been the case in the past.

Overall I thought the officiating was good, but that 130 final was awful!!!!

Who there?  If they do it like this it creates a big problem.  Thieves.  If you seperate the athletes from their bags positive contact is lost.  I hate to say it but there are just too many stories of wrestlers having their singlets bags and headgears disappear.  Sorry but you wouldnt get me to put my bag in a pile where another guy can pretend to get something out of his bag and steal me stuff.

825512563[/snapback]

I was sitting by Hendersonville, Soddy Daisy and a few other teams and there was no one watching their bags and no positive contact. Sooner our later someone is going to break an ankle or arm falling down and you're going to have a law suite.

It can be done if you have someone watching the bags.

If not give them a row to put all their bags.

There are several things that need to be examined in the match. The first being that the FR wrestler was standing up each time and every time they went out of bounds. You could clearly see that the FR wrestler was trying to post the hands and break the grip of the Overton wrestler when they would go out of bounds. I don't know how the officials view this in high school but in college they would probably have nailed the Overton wrestler for stalling after the 3rd time that he forced the FR wrestler out of bounds. The second point to examine was that it could have been called a takedown for the OV wrestler in the last period but we all know that it was a close line call and sometimes you get a close call and sometimes you don't. The 3rd topic of discussion was the stalling calls that went against the FR werestler in the last period. In no way do I feel that the official was trying to makeup for a missed takedown earlier in the match. Good officials make the call and they live with it and I have never heard a good official say they were trying to makeup for a missed call. The final topic would be why the Overton wrestler relaxed and gave up the takedown in the last few seconds of regulation? The match was headed for overtime where both wrestlers would have had the opportunity to win. IMO the FR wrestler took a huge gamble when he went for the takedown with only a few seconds in the match remaining. Not only could the OV wrestler have countered for the takedown but the FR wrestler was using alot of energy with only a slim chance of finishing before time expired against a good wrestler.

Edited by cbg