CoachT's All-State Football Team

CoachT

Excellent job CoachT!  As VG said, you may be able to argue onesies and twosies, but it is a well put together team that is well represented across the state and all classifications. 

Personally, I wouldn't want to even try to put together just one 24-man team.  But, I will agree with one poster.....the only one that shocked me was seeing Coker on the team.  He only played about 6 games.  There were a ton of great backs in the state this year to have selected somebody who only played part of the season.

825496942[/snapback]

I wouldn't argue with that and wouldn't dispute anyone's pick at running back. That was the hardest position to choose and there are a nmuber of good ones. I made a list of 7 backs and kept going through stats until I made the decision to go with the ones I felt were the top two regardless of number of games played. Some players had 15 games in which to impress fans while others had far less. Wooden, for example, missed games at the start of the season and had it not been for the playoffs he might not have been chosen. 287 yards rushing in the championship game is hard to ignore. In other words, the playing field is not going to be level no matter how much you try to make it so.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my first post as a coacht plus member.

coacht great list, just out of curiosity what other backs were u considering.

and also what about dan williams and jeff cottam. they had great seasons.

This is probably the best list that i have seen thus far. how would this team stack up against other states teams?

my first post as a coacht plus member.

coacht great list, just out of curiosity what other backs were u considering.

and also what about dan williams and jeff cottam. they had great seasons.

This is probably the best list that i have seen thus far. how would this team stack up against other states teams?

825497038[/snapback]

Williams was on the original list I published and was as deserving as some that stayed on the list. Cottam is the best stereotypical tight end, probably, in that he is big, good blocker, good short target, etc. Warren could play a number of positions and is a punishing blocker and runner who can also run deep routes. He is a great athlete who happens to play tight end.

The other backs are the same ones you have seen on other lists and Mr. Football candidates. I hesitate to list any because I will forget some and if I list the final seven I had down then fans will simply debate who should have been eighth. The hardest thing about judging running backs is that you can't simply look at stats because of the huge variance of competition in different classes and areas of the state. You have to trust in a lot of opinions you have heard, instead.