Will Tyler Smith go to UT now?

Gerry Bertier

Correct. Back to my question...Why would Tyler even sign with TN if he thought there was a chance of Buzz not being there when he attended? If indeed Buzz was the main reason he was making that decision. I honestly think the kid wants to stay close to home as he has suggested in many articles and play for whoever coaches the Volunteers. TN has had some competitive basketball programs in the past not only in the SEC, but in the NCAA tourney. That being said...4 years ago they had been to the big dance for the previous 4 years in a row. Someone was doing something right...whether it be with the coaches, players, or recruiting. Buzz was not a bad coach, but his philosophy and style of play did not fit in at UTK.

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe it has to be a mutual agreement between the recruit and the school. Much like a under or upperclassman wanting to transfer. A coach "school" will let a player transfer without sitting out a year if that player agrees to transfer out of confrence. Steve Spurrier was famous for that when he was at Florida. If a kid does not want to be at a particular school because of a coaching change who in there right mind would want them there? It would not be good for either party. The school loses a scholarship and they get a kid whose heart's not in it. Tennessee would let him go if he wants to go elsewhere. I did talk to Tyler's dad last Friday and he said that they would have to weigh there options! I wish Tyler and his family well no matter what THEY DECIDE TO DO!

825618147[/snapback]

Sitting out a year is a mandate of the NCAA. Even with a release a student/ athlete has to sit out a year.

The exception is if a student/athlete transfers down from D1 to D2 or D3 or from D2 to D3.

Guest catfish-hunter
Sitting out a year is a mandate of the NCAA.  Even with a release a student/ athlete has to sit out a year.

The exception is if a student/athlete transfers down from D1 to D2 or D3 or from D2 to D3.

825618224[/snapback]

You could transfer from D1A-D1AA and play in football HTV. Look at Ingle Martin who lost his starting job to Leak two years ago. Last year, Martin was the starting quarterback at Furman.

You can't transfer on the same level OR transfer up a level to play and not have to sit out a year. If you choose to transfer down to a "lesser level" then you don't have to sit out.

You could transfer from D1A-D1AA and play in football HTV.  Look at Ingle Martin who lost his starting job to Leak two years ago.  Last year, Martin was the starting quarterback at Furman. 

You can't transfer on the same level OR transfer up a level to play and not have to sit out a year.  If you choose to transfer down to a "lesser level" then you don't have to sit out.

825618231[/snapback]

If Tennessee releases Tyler he doesnt have to sit out a year and can resign this year, but if they do not release him he could go and play prep school and be re-recruited next year and resign after that year. It's all on what TN wants to do though.

If Tyler gets the AD of UTK to grant him a Full Release from the NLI then he does not have to sit out a year. He would immediately be eligible at the next NLI institution of his choice. If you don't believe it HTV, read the Release Form. There is a big bold statement in there that says that if the Athletic Director grants a Full Release then the players is not subject to the Basic Penalty, which is 1 year of eligibility.

If Tyler gets the AD of UTK to grant him a Full Release from the NLI then he does not have to sit out a year.  He would immediately be eligible at the next NLI institution of his choice.  If you don't believe it HTV, read the Release Form.  There is a big bold statement in there that says that if the Athletic Director grants a Full Release then the players is not subject to the Basic Penalty, which is 1 year of eligibility.

825618242[/snapback]

Who said I didn't believe that? The issue is that there's not grounds for a release. Smith signed with UT. UTs policy is not to grant a release when there is a coaching change.

You could transfer from D1A-D1AA and play in football HTV.  Look at Ingle Martin who lost his starting job to Leak two years ago.  Last year, Martin was the starting quarterback at Furman. 

You can't transfer on the same level OR transfer up a level to play and not have to sit out a year.  If you choose to transfer down to a "lesser level" then you don't have to sit out.

825618231[/snapback]

That is correct, but we are talking basketball here. There is no D1-AA in basketball like there is in football.

Ok, but if Smith does file for a release from the NLI...Why would TN want to deny him the release. I hope they don't honestly believe that if a player requests a release and is denied...that the player would give 100% effort to make that program successful. I think Smith should stay. I don't know what grouds he based his decision to attend UTK on, but there had to be something other than the coach that influenced him!!!

I can't see Smith asking for a release. He signed in November, and everybody knew then that with a rough year Peterson would probably be gone. He knew when he signed that this was possible. Plus, he knows that UT won't grant him a release. That's not just because of Smith, it's because of the precedent that it would set. It's hard enough in college sports to keep the guys you have commited to stay commited, coaches are not interested in fighting to keep guys who have already signed because they changed their mind and asked for a release.

I know a couple of guys close to tyler and they have said for a while if buzz leaves tyler is going to go somewere else. They have hinted at NC. But with the coach UT is going after i think he would stick around. The coach is a winner. Everyone had UK to win the title and his team pulled a major upset on them.

Tyler Smith isn't just committed to UT, he signed with UT during the early signing period in November.  He is a Vol.  Case closed.  If he opts to go elsewhere it will be without a scholarship and he'll have to sit for his first year. 

A change in coaches isn't an automatic release of a signed letter of intent.  Players sign with the school, not with the coach.

825617476[/snapback]

Not necessarily. Tyler could go to a prep school or a JUCO for a year if UTK doesn't release him.