TSSAA Lining Their Pockets?

I don't have a problem with this. As a former official you would not believe how many coaches out there that don't know the rule book.

Some, not all officials/umps/referees, suck year after year and keep calling games year after year. Coaches get fired when they suck, officials don't.

Agreed, and to think that group from the Rhea County and West game are in line to call a State Championship game next year. I'm hoping they had a bad night but my goodness was it atrocious! Another thing that bothers me is the fact that at several JV games this year I heard officials telling coaches to Shut-up! Much easier to hear on during those games than on Friday night

So when an official(s) sux at his job and everyone knows it, the people paying him must keep their mouth shut. Yep, sounds like another good rule. How many other jobs out there where you can make ~$40/hr and be protected from public criticism? School administration should regulate what coaches say.

Edited by strongx

$40.00 per/hour is a little high...but not by much. $25 to $30 would be more accurate depending on the sport and level.

I guess I was thinking about the running clock games. :thumb:

I was taught to play the game well enough to overcome the officiating and don't let them have a chance to decide the game. IMO-most officials do a good enough job. There are exceptions just like every other occupation. And they too should be "recognized".

I remember going out to argue a call years ago for the appearance of our team and fans (no real argument just a friendly discussion). The ump agreed that if he was really a top notch ump then he would be on TV umping instead of umping a bunch of kids. Then I agreed that if was a top notch coach, I would be somewhere making a lot more money coaching. It definitely goes both ways.

I see more problems a lot of the time with the clock operators than anything. I watched a kid go out of bounds and the clock didn't stop in the Maryville and Oakland game and no one said a thing from Oakland. It was their field and I couldn't blame the coach for not jumping someones tail but nothing was said.  I also see a so many game the clock keeps ticking four or five seconds after the play is called dead. That person should have to be sharp as a tack to operate the clock and not given to someone that is ready to be put out to pasture.