I voted! I prayed

Blaze45

You mean by the sweat off slaves backs, and genocide and murder? Hate to burst your bubble, but that is what this country was built upon. I will now fall back and witness the outpouring of rage against what I said. Oh well, the truth hurts. It isn't me disliking this country, it's just the basic facts.

Oh that's right they built the White House also...smh

Yes we did have slaves then.. I  see it from  the discovery to this point the creation of America. since my ancestors lived here well before that Either way, my original point was that praying is a privilledge  and voting is a right, We should do both as the morals, values and principles have eroded to cute cliches on the occasional desk. 

The actual FIRST slaves here in the US were brought here by the Spanish to St Augustine.  The first slaves for the white folks were from England and Ireland and Scotland.  They were called 'indentured servants'.  BTW they were WHITE!

As to how I know I actually studied US history at Trinity College, Cambridge while I was going thru undergrad school.  THEIR view tends to be a little more honest and not slanted.  Foe example we get taught about Paul Revere's ride, but little if anything is taught about him getting his entire command at Pnobscot Bay when he was laying up in his tent drunk.  They also have a much different slant of Benedict Arnold.  LOL

My ancestors got here in 1645.  They were two Brother's from England.  They brought a couple indentured servants with them.

Someone once asked me what my heritage was.  My answer was simple, they owned slaves and shot Indians.  You know regular Americans.

I voted about a week ago.  I could only look at the entire selection of candidates and shake my head at how SORRY a selection we have this year.

I prayed, and pulled the lever.  Luckily I had an Alka Seltzer beforehand so I did not throw up!

• Upvote 1

Totally agree, SS.

I'll also add this. It's been said countless times in 2016, but this election cycle is a perfect example of how polarized we've become as a nation. We can blame politics, marketing, social media, mass media, etc, but there's no denying that this polarization exists. Apparently there is no "gray area" anymore, or at least it feels that way. Whatever happened to common decency? Whatever happened to respect and reason? Whatever happened to the voice of the moderate? I've become completely apathetic, politically speaking, simply because I no longer believe that my moderate voice will ever be heard (or represented). And I have a feeling that there are a LOT of voters out there who fall into this category, more than enough to swing an election. Unfortunately, our electorate has been convinced that they have two realistic choices (R or D), and nothing more. The "new" GOP is an ultra-conservative mess, while young democrats are bullying their party to become even more liberal. Why on earth are these two parties trying to widen this gap even further? I would argue that our electorate looks like a bell-shaped curve, so where does this leave the majority of voters who fall somewhere in the middle? Up sh*t creek, that's where.

Sadly, without a major political shift (not the one that Bernie Sanders has suggested but one that involves blowing up our current two party system), I don't ever see this mess changing. At this point, I just pray that we can find a way to break this trend, or (at the very least) treat each other with some respect and common decency. If we could all find a way to do that, I think the political and social polarization that we're seeing, along with the media's obsession with it, would burn itself out.

Very well stated. Positive change usually happens from the bottom up, not the top down. Some blame our country's problems on politicians, others blame the media, I blame a corrupt government and an ignorant, intellectually lazy populous. Edited by MSURacer

I am so happy this election is over! Hopefully some good changes are coming! God has to be first and foremost! When and only when everyone figures that out the rest will come uncomplicated! Love and peace to all on the T and in this world! Godspeed! Great post Blaze45!!

Edited by warhawks

You mean by the sweat off slaves backs, and genocide and murder? Hate to burst your bubble, but that is what this country was built upon. I will now fall back and witness the outpouring of rage against what I said. Oh well, the truth hurts. It isn't me disliking this country, it's just the basic facts.

:popcorneater:

The actual FIRST slaves here in the US were brought here by the Spanish to St Augustine.  The first slaves for the white folks were from England and Ireland and Scotland.  They were called 'indentured servants'.  BTW they were WHITE!

As to how I know I actually studied US history at Trinity College, Cambridge while I was going thru undergrad school.  THEIR view tends to be a little more honest and not slanted.  Foe example we get taught about Paul Revere's ride, but little if anything is taught about him getting his entire command at Pnobscot Bay when he was laying up in his tent drunk.  They also have a much different slant of Benedict Arnold.  LOL

My ancestors got here in 1645.  They were two Brother's from England.  They brought a couple indentured servants with them.

Someone once asked me what my heritage was.  My answer was simple, they owned slaves and shot Indians.  You know regular Americans.

I voted about a week ago.  I could only look at the entire selection of candidates and shake my head at how SORRY a selection we have this year.

I prayed, and pulled the lever.  Luckily I had an Alka Seltzer beforehand so I did not throw up!

LOD more people need to study their American History. My family came here from Ireland and Scotland after leaving England. Course some went to Australia and some came here to Pennsylvania, as those folks you talked about. And we know why the other bunch went to Australia. Just glad to be an American!!!

No rage on my part, but couldn't help but notice your reference to "facts".  Question for you:

What group in American history owned slaves at a higher percentage than did white people (ie, 1.4% of whites owned slaves in 1860, what racial group owned slaves at greater than 1.4%)?