knox west next head coach

Knoxtastic

HTV beat me to it. KCS really isn't that desirable, given the current political environment (evaluation process, teaching standards are in limbo, etc) and the low pay, relative to other area school systems. Most surrounding school systems are paying teachers/coaches more; maybe not $10k-20k+ more in all cases, but definitely more.

Just been reading thru this thread to keep up with coaching news. If have noticed it mentioned a couple of times the evaluation system and teaching standards keeping top quality coaches from applying. I have been a teacher and certified administrator for quite some time so correct me if I'm wrong but all teachers follow the TEAM model for teacher evaluation set by TDOE. Likewise the content standards are set by TDOE. So they would face the same thing in any district.

Just been reading thru this thread to keep up with coaching news. If have noticed it mentioned a couple of times the evaluation system and teaching standards keeping top quality coaches from applying. I have been a teacher and certified administrator for quite some time so correct me if I'm wrong but all teachers follow the TEAM model for teacher evaluation set by TDOE. Likewise the content standards are set by TDOE. So they would face the same thing in any district.

I'm not a teacher, but my wife teaches in Knox County, so I'll try not to butcher my understanding of it. There is an evaluation system set by the state (TDOE), but if focuses primarily on how much weight is given to a teacher's evaluation based on student test scores. Individual school districts determine the rest of rubric used for teacher observations and evaluations, which has been a big issue with KCS. 

The same is essentially true with the implementation of standards. While the standards themselves are set by the state, the local system is responsible for how they are implemented.

Edited by osunut2

Coaches in Knox County also are expected to teach a full load of classes, where in some systems the head coach may teach 2 classes and be done before lunch time, allowing him to turn his full attention to football.  I know of one head coach in another system that teaches zero classes.  And yes, under the previous superintendant,  Knox County took the team eval and rubric above and beyond what the state requires.   Hope that eases up some under the new guy.  

Edited by oridgecat

Good friend taught at one Knox County school for about 4 years, and every year he got 4s and 5s (with 5 being the highest) on his observations.  Next year he went to another school and his obvservations were graded 1s and 2s.  You can't tell me that in one year he went from being a top rated teacher to being a poorly rated teacher.  That's just not reasonable nor rational to believe.  

Point being - as others have said, there are the state guidelines, and then there are more within the KCSS.  The KCSS part of it is just too subjective depending on who the evaluators are and what their agendas are.  

Schools, just like pretty much everything else in this day and time have become too politicized.  It's a real struggle right now, which is why more and more parents are looking in to all educational options - public, private, and home school.  The public school system has by and large lost it's purpose, and that's to educate, not indoctrinate and socialize.  By and large most teachers are still in it for the right reasons, but those in charge have lost sight of why they are supposed to be there, IMO.  

I'll get off of my soap box now.  

• Upvote 2

Good friend taught at one Knox County school for about 4 years, and every year he got 4s and 5s (with 5 being the highest) on his observations. Next year he went to another school and his obvservations were graded 1s and 2s. You can't tell me that in one year he went from being a top rated teacher to being a poorly rated teacher. That's just not reasonable nor rational to believe.

Point being - as others have said, there are the state guidelines, and then there are more within the KCSS. The KCSS part of it is just too subjective depending on who the evaluators are and what their agendas are.

Schools, just like pretty much everything else in this day and time have become too politicized. It's a real struggle right now, which is why more and more parents are looking in to all educational options - public, private, and home school. The public school system has by and large lost it's purpose, and that's to educate, not indoctrinate and socialize. By and large most teachers are still in it for the right reasons, but those in charge have lost sight of why they are supposed to be there, IMO.

Amen HTV. AMEN

Good friend taught at one Knox County school for about 4 years, and every year he got 4s and 5s (with 5 being the highest) on his observations.  Next year he went to another school and his obvservations were graded 1s and 2s.  You can't tell me that in one year he went from being a top rated teacher to being a poorly rated teacher.  That's just not reasonable nor rational to believe.  

Point being - as others have said, there are the state guidelines, and then there are more within the KCSS.  The KCSS part of it is just too subjective depending on who the evaluators are and what their agendas are.  

Schools, just like pretty much everything else in this day and time have become too politicized.  It's a real struggle right now, which is why more and more parents are looking in to all educational options - public, private, and home school.  The public school system has by and large lost it's purpose, and that's to educate, not indoctrinate and socialize.  By and large most teachers are still in it for the right reasons, but those in charge have lost sight of why they are supposed to be there, IMO.  

Ding, ding. We have a winner!

Great post

yep, observation scores vary widely from school to school.  They say the rubric is not punitive and not a checklist.  It is definately a checklist and can be extremely punitive depending on the admins agenda.  Knox teachers by the hundreds are looking to move to surrounding systems even states, many are retiring early, just look at the turnover.  KCS is shooting themselves in the foot by going way overboard with this.