Oakland-Cookeville Series

MidTennFootball

Easily the 2 biggest games for the Oakland Patriots this season. If Oakland can sweep this series, they are back in business as far as the race for the district championship goes. Cookeville leads the district with a 6-0 mark, but Oakland seems to be stepping it up after starting catcher Steven Watson was kicked off the team. Any thoughts or predictions on how this series will go?

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Easily the 2 biggest games for the Oakland Patriots this season. If Oakland can sweep this series, they are back in business as far as the race for the district championship goes. Cookeville leads the district with a 6-0 mark, but Oakland seems to be stepping it up after starting catcher Steven Watson was kicked off the team. Any thoughts or predictions on how this series will go?

825645575[/snapback]

Having seen both of these teams play, it will most likely come down to which one makes the fewest errors, as they both boot the ball often. If one team plays a clean game, they will win. Most likely a split with each winning at home. Ty looks good on mount and so does Phifer kid, but they need the defense to back them up.

Did White Co/Oakland game get rained out? if so, when rescheduled?

Warren Co also playing good ball, could be spoiler as they have now split with both Oakland and Riverdale. thumb

Having seen both of these teams play, it will most likely come down to which one makes the fewest errors, as they both boot the ball often. If one team plays a  clean game, they will win. Most likely a split with each winning at home. Ty looks good on mount and so does Phifer kid, but they need the defense to back them up.

Did White Co/Oakland game get rained out? if so, when rescheduled?

Warren Co also playing good ball, could be spoiler as they have now split with both Oakland and Riverdale.      thumb

825645639[/snapback]

The Oakland-White Co game didnt get rained, Oakland had a breakout performance and won 17-2.

This Oakland team is so much better than this record indicates and these last 2 games have said as much. I really believe that Watson being off the team will really motivate Oakland to play up to their talent level. As good as Watson, was you have to consider that maybe he was a distraction to what this team could accomplish. I have a ton of respect for Cookeville and what they have done these last 2 seasons, but I wouldnt be suprise if they rode the hot bats of pj polk & co to a sweep.

Cookeville is a well Coached team and always plays hard. I think Oakland has turn a corner in the season. The bats are heating up and the defense has come around. If Tye McCleary (3-1 1.19 ERA and 26k's in 29 innings) and Rusty Howard (3-0 2.40 ERA and 28k's in 23 Innings) keep throwing strikes Oakland will have a chance. But winning on the road in 7AAA is very hard to do. I look for a great series from these two teams.

Edited by letsplay2

I'm changing the subject...although it will be a great series for fans and players alike!!...for curiosity's sake, how many homeruns did Oakland hit as a team in 1999...I believe Jeremy Slayden, as a sophomore that year, hit 13 and Jerry Knox hit 11 or 12...I saw several of their games that year and I believe all of their starters hit at least one dinger...Help me out .... Oakland fans are really knowledgable...especially about this 1999 state champion team.

I'm changing the subject...although it will be a great series for fans and players alike!!...for curiosity's  sake, how many homeruns did Oakland hit as a team in 1999...I believe Jeremy Slayden, as a sophomore that year, hit 13 and Jerry Knox hit 11 or 12...I saw several of their games that year and I believe all of their starters hit at least one dinger...Help me out .... Oakland fans are really knowledgable...especially about this 1999 state champion team.

825646296[/snapback]

Actually Jerry Knox only had 8-9 home runs, but only had 35 at bats, pretty darn impressive if you ask me. As for how many home runs oakland hit that season, ill defer that one to slyder or letsplay2

I'm not sure. although I think Jason Sharper who hit last had 5 of 6 home runs. And Casey Roshenburger (sp) had a 32 game hitting streak., let see if I can remember the batting line up?

1) Chuck Acres-CF

2) Jeremy Sladen-RF

3 Brennan King-SS

4) Casey Roshenburger-3B

5) Jerry Knox-DH

6) Shane Vaughn- 2B

7) Blaylock- C

8) Jeremy Wilson-LF

9) Jason Sharber-1B

Pitcher

Jerry Knox

Brennan King

John Williams

Jason Sharper

Patrick Hicklin

Stevie Klein

WOW What a team!!! On the bench Tommy Smith, Caleb Barrett.

I Believe Oakland has a chance to sweep this series. Oakland is starting to come around on offense and on defense. And there pitching is coming around too. If you think about it when oakland played blackman and warren county they played awful defense, had no hitting, and pitching was alright, but not what it is right now. i just think oakland has to sweep these next 2 games to be in the district race. look for some younger guys to step up in this series and help pull oakland to victory.

I'm changing the subject...although it will be a great series for fans and players alike!!...for curiosity's  sake, how many homeruns did Oakland hit as a team in 1999...I believe Jeremy Slayden, as a sophomore that year, hit 13 and Jerry Knox hit 11 or 12...I saw several of their games that year and I believe all of their starters hit at least one dinger...Help me out .... Oakland fans are really knowledgable...especially about this 1999 state champion team.

825646296[/snapback]

If I recall, the 1999 team hit 53 homeruns, but they lead the nation with like 98 doubles that year. Pick your poison! The next year, pitching dominated, I believe they had 34 games where they allowed 2 runs or fewer and of those 27 were 1 run games or shutouts.

Edited by Slyder

If I recall, the 1999 team hit 53 homeruns, but they lead the nation with like 98 doubles that year. Pick your poison! The next year, pitching dominated, I believe they had 34 games where they allowed 2 runs or fewer and of those 27 were 1 run games or shutouts.

825647073[/snapback]

Where's all the cookeville folks? With the success they have had the last few seasons you would think they would have a decent following. Always love going to Cookeville when Oakland plays there, no matter what the sport, got some great eats in c-ville thumb

But since were on the subject on the 99 state champ team, it would suprise me one bit to see the 07 Oakland team have some similar success, that team will be LOADED LOADED LOADED