Maryville vs. Alcoa

Rebel Nation

Region 4AA Tournament  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Region 4AA Tournament

It's never too early. I'm really more interested in the remarks from peeps outside the "struggle" than from within. Us folks on the inside will have a month to debate it soon enough.

What do you think CoachT Nation???? :unsure:

ps since I started this thread here, I'm givin my site props: unapproved website

Edited by dmoyers1

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's never too early.  I'm really more interested in the remarks from peeps outside the "struggle" than from within.  Us folks on the inside will have a month to debate it soon enough.

What do you think CoachT Nation???? :huh:

ps since I started this thread here, I'm givin my site props: unapproved website

825661675[/snapback]

I think Alcoa will win this one. Maryville has proven me wrong before though.

Ok....the Maryville vs. Alcoa rivalry is always a battle. The rebels have the most wins out of the 70 somethin times that these two teams have met. Alcoa has a tough team this year and a lot of added depth thanks to Coach Reid's weight program. I think the game deserves a name and a trophy. We could call it like "The Civil War" or something of that nature. I see Alcoa coming out on top this year because of the added depth and overall average strength of the team. Maryville is lacking experience at the lead position of QB, but both that are working for the job have good talent and are great football players. I do not want to seem to judgemental during spring, but i think Alcoa will be better prepared for this game and will come out on top.

We could call it like "The Civil War" or something of that nature.

This would be an absolute PR nightmare for Blount County, especially after what happened at WB High School earlier this year.

Naming a rivalry game "The Civil War" with one of the teams having primarily white players and the other team having primarily black players would be one of the most culturally insensitive names you could POSSIBLY come up with.

This would be an absolute PR nightmare for Blount County, especially after what happened at WB High School earlier this year. 

Naming a rivalry game "The Civil War" with one of the teams having primarily white players and the other team having primarily black players would be one of the most culturally insensitive names you could POSSIBLY come up with.

825662314[/snapback]

Or, we could all act like adults and read the name as it's written: the CIVIL war. Civil as in mutual and kind hearted towards ones adversary/neighbor...oh, that's right, we're humans and this is MHS/AHS....that's impossible. :D

I like the idea of a trophy though. I think in the end, morbid is right, but I do like names like the Red and Garnet Game or The Twin City Border War or The Battle of Blount County or the Battle of the Reds (Red and Garnet).

Morbid, bro...does it have to make sense...it's just fun conversation. thumb

I like the "CIVIL WAR" , it gives it that huge attention it deserves. It can't be anyworse than the "Rebels" as a mascot. Matter of fact it is an older rivalry of two great teams. Very few schools have had that type of consistancy. Let's all just keep Calling it the "CIVIL WAR" , and it will eventually stick to it.

The game is schduled for 26 Aug on Alcoa's home turf at 7:30! They got huge pride up there and are the 2A State Champions. They are bigger, stronger, faster with experience. They will also have a better "O" line than they have in many years there. They are also tired of getting spanked by the Maryville kids they grew up with and played with in the miget ranks. Some bad blood there.

I do not think this Alcoa team is as good as the Alcoa team of 01. I do think Maryville will be as good as they have been since 98 & 02. I know those are big expatations but all things are good at Maryville.

Last time Maryville played Alcoa on thier turf they spanked them 23-Zip but the game was not that close, in my view. Maryville did'nt start the starting backfield and turned the ball over about 5 times as I remember it. Ofcourse this means nothing.

What does mean something is Linsely and Warren are Alcoa's main, but not only, playmakers. The expected starters DE's Voto and Killebrew will be to strong and quick to let Lindsey get outside and when he cuts up he'll met LB's Valintine, Lawhan, Caylor/Kimsey. All seniors except Caylor. This LB corp as a group will be the most physical and nasty than Maryville has had in many years since Baker, a real killer! With the speed and size of the front four to include Cable, Smith, Tucker, Tucker who might be faster than Linsey or Warran in the 40 was a beast during spring drills. These Seniors won't let Fiegler have all the time in the world to throw anything deep so Alcoa will try to quick pass to the flats or over the middle. That will be tough.

I look for Maryville to soundly defeat Alcoa again, sorry Tornado fans but that is how I see it. But we look for a good game and the great atmosphere as normal.

Edited by FBEmeritus

The game is schduled for 26 Aug on Alcoa's home turf at 7:30!  They got huge pride up there and are the 2A State Champions.  They are bigger, stronger, faster with experience.  They will also have a better "O" line than they have in many years there.  They are also tired of getting spanked by the Maryville kids they grew up with and played with in the miget ranks.  Some bad blood there. 

I do not think this Alcoa team is as good as the Alcoa team of 01.  I do think Maryville will be as good as they have been since 98 & 02.  I know those are big expatations but all things are good at Maryville

Last time Maryville played Alcoa on thier turf they spanked them 23-Zip but the game was not that close, in my view.  Maryville did'nt start the starting backfield and turned the ball over about 5 times as I remember it.  Ofcourse this means nothing.

What does mean something is Linsely and Warren are Alcoa's main, but not only, playmakers.  The expected starters DE's Voto and Killebrew will be to strong and quick to let Lindsey get outside and when he cuts up he'll met LB's Valintine, Lawhan, Caylor/Kimsey.  All seniors except Caylor.  This LB corp as a group will be the most physical and nasty than Maryville has had in many years since Baker, a real killer!  With the speed and size of the front four to include Cable, Smith, Tucker,  Tucker who might be faster than Linsey or Warran in the 40 was a beast during spring drills.  These Seniors won't let Fiegler have all the time in the world to throw anything deep so Alcoa will try to quick pass to the flats or over the middle.  That will be tough. 

I look for Maryville to soundly defeat Alcoa again, sorry Tornado fans but that is how I see it.  But we look for a good game and the great atmosphere as normal.

825663756[/snapback]

Thats quite a breakdown on a game that won't happen til next season. :)

Thats quite a breakdown on a game that won't happen til next season. :)

825663875[/snapback]

" NEXT SEASON " is just a little over 3 months away ! if your not interested in anything " next season " why bother clicking on the thread !!???

i thought it was an excellent analysis , and i love the thought of being an "underdog" going into this game !! Maryville's usually the most dangerous when they have a chip on the shoulder! LET'S GET IT ON !!!