Maryville- No Flags, signs, etc

so basically you're saying that people should be allowed to show up naked and smoke cigarettes at the Maryville High games too?  Give me a break.

825692888[/snapback]

Here's your break....I would not show up at Maryville football game naked because there are Fedreral and State laws against public indecency.

There are NOT Federal and State laws against waving any kind of flag or for that that matter burning that flag. Maryville School Board policy does not supersede any American citizen's First Amendment Rights, believe it or not.

Smoking is bad...therefore dip at the game at your own leisure.

Edited by STARSNBARS

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I dont really have a dog in this fight, but I have an opinion, so here it is. As a highschool football fan, of course I support Knox Central. I enjoy traveling to Maryville to face the RedRebels.

WHY? The atmosphere is like no other, The support from fans there is awesome, as the the stadium has always been at full capacity during my visits. There is always an electricity in the air from anticipation, to hearing their GREAT band pump up the crowd prior to kick off, and constantly during games, or watching the fans constant excitement and support for the RedRebels during the games. The Maryville RedRebels have an awesome tradition that I feel will not be hindered or ruined without the Rebel flag at games.

Is the ban wrong, in my humble opinion Yes.

To many people are living in the past, we are all equall in Gods eyes and just because the rebel flag was a negative symbol over a 100 years ago, does'nt mean that is the intentions of Maryville Highschool fans today. Will the Mascott and name be next?

I am NOT prejudice in ANY way, and I know some unpleasant people are, including folks from all race and walks of life.

If I've offended anyone I apologize, but one has to wander in todays society, what will be next ? :)

mhs I agree on Pigskin's post.

At most games there were a maximum of 3 of 4 flags. There were probably the same number of shredded ones on the other side.

With this ban I believe everyone we may not see as many flags inside the venue, but they will see many fold that number on the way to and from the games because of the way the MCS administration has handled it.

I have been told by some high school students of the possibility of planned flag and spirit rallies at various private and business locations around MHS, prior to home football games.

If the Maryville City Schools idea is to limit flags at the ballgames it may work. But if the idea is to rid the area of all flags.....well I believe it may backfire on them.

If the Maryville City Schools idea is to limit flags at the ballgames it may work. But if the idea is to rid the area of all flags.....well I believe it may backfire on them.

825693000[/snapback]

The only thing the school can do is limit the flags at ballgames, they only have control over what happens on school property. If there is an attempt to rid the Maryville area of flags, then you have a 1st amendment issue. And I`ll come down myself to protest. thumb

Picture this, an African American family moves into Maryville from another state and enroll their children into Maryville High School. They decide to go to the 1st football game of the season, and when they arrive and get take their seats they start looking around and what do they see? The student section of Maryville waving 4-5 rebel flags. Now are you going to try to tell me that they won`t feel uncomfortable or offended? When they later ask why in the world people are waving the confederate flag at the game they are told that its the rebel flag not the confederate flag.

They don`t see the difference, and begin looking for a new place to live.

Like I said before, to the Maryville fans that wave the flags they are a symbol of the school, but that is not what the symbol means to everyone. When you look at the big picture, will the flags being removed have that much of an impact on Maryville? Will the team play worse because the rebel flags are flying anymore? Will fans stop supporting the team because the flags are gone? I highly doubt it.

825690962[/snapback]

This bunch of "Liberal" crap is getting old! Everywhere you look somone is being "insensitive", "Offended" and all this other "BS".

What happens when I'm offended because there is a "homosexual" teacher at my school? I'm offended, but nothing happens...but when one isn't hired it's always being discriminated against, or the teacher is offended by your decision...

My point is quit playing the "race" in every issue!! I wouldn't care if "African-Americans" waved their flag

825691000[/snapback]

It's one thing to be offended by something that's meant to be offensive and labeled correctly; it's another thing altogether to assume that the "rebel" flag or "confederate" flag is anything but a symbol of a specific group in the past. It's rediculous to contend that this flag is a symbol of slavery because the states that marched under it were slave holding states. If that is the case, however, the American flag is also a symbol of slavery. Let me explain: 50 stars on the flag, 4 represent slave holding states that never seceeded from the union; therefore, since they weren't in secession, the Emancipation Proclamation didn't apply to those states. They could keep their slaves. It would take an idiot to not see the Civil War had nothing to do with slavery. The flag simply represented the group that was fighting for states' rights. Slavery was not brought into it until it became a way of control. If the union wanted to free slaves period, why not in those 4 states. If you ban the confederate flag for being offensive, you must ban the American flag for being offensive. It's that simple. Read the history.

This bunch of "Liberal" crap is getting old! Everywhere you look somone is being "insensitive", "Offended" and all this other "BS".

What happens when I'm offended because there is a "homosexual" teacher at my school? I'm offended, but nothing happens...but when one isn't hired it's always being discriminated against, or the teacher is offended by your decision...

My point is quit playing the "race" in every issue!! I wouldn't care if "African-Americans" waved their flag

825691000[/snapback]

It's one thing to be offended by something that's meant to be offensive and labeled correctly; it's another thing altogether to assume that the "rebel" flag or "confederate" flag is anything but a symbol of a specific group in the past. It's rediculous to contend that this flag is a symbol of slavery because the states that marched under it were slave holding states. If that is the case, however, the American flag is also a symbol of slavery. Let me explain: 50 stars on the flag, 4 represent slave holding states that never seceeded from the union; therefore, since they weren't in secession, the Emancipation Proclamation didn't apply to those states. They could keep their slaves. It would take an idiot to not see the Civil War had nothing to do with slavery. The flag simply represented the group that was fighting for states' rights. Slavery was not brought into it until it became a way of control. If the union wanted to free slaves period, why not in those 4 states. If you ban the confederate flag for being offensive, you must ban the American flag for being offensive. It's that simple. Read the history.

825693055[/snapback]

Thanks for that post. I had been wanting to say that but I wasnt sure that I needed to. If people would pay attention in history class they would know these facts. The confederate flag is NOT a symbol of slavery, and NOT everyone that fought for the confederate army was in favor of slavery. Just my opinion but the flag should not be banned.

The only thing the school can do is limit the flags at ballgames, they only have control over what happens on school property. If there is an attempt to rid the Maryville area of flags, then you have a 1st amendment issue. And I`ll come down myself to protest. thumb

825693013[/snapback]

this is why the "flag issue" is not a "1st amendment" issue. IT'S SCHOOL PROPERTY.

They can search your locker w/out it being an illegal search because it's THEIR property. Same difference with the flags being at the stadium, it's THEIR property...they can have whatever rules they want.

This is the same way SOME restaurants disallow smoking -- it's their property.

No one is saying that rebel flags are banned from YOUR house. If that were the case, then the 1st amendment would apply very appropriately. Some people just don't "get it." My goodness.

this is why the "flag issue" is not a "1st amendment" issue.  IT'S SCHOOL PROPERTY.

They can search your locker w/out it being an illegal search because it's THEIR property.  Same difference with the flags being at the stadium, it's THEIR property...they can have whatever rules they want. 

This is the same way SOME restaurants disallow smoking -- it's their property.

No one is saying that rebel flags are banned from YOUR house.  If that were the case, then the 1st amendment would apply very appropriately.  Some people just don't "get it."  My goodness.

825693101[/snapback]

I agree p9morbid. It is a school issue, and the decision was made in an attempt to prevent problems, not to be malicious.