The Nats were a feel good story and the Phils put together a good run at the Braves late, but once again it looks as if my 5 reasons proved to be right and the Braves will claim there 14th straight division title, something that will never be done again in any major sport! The Braves now just 2 games away from clinching the division, just continue to prove all the experts wrong, year in and year out! Now I just hope the Astros fade, because no one wants to face the Astros in a short series with Oswalt, Clemens, and Pettite! I would much rather play the Cards than having to face the Astros in a short series! Looking forward to the Playoffs, should be a fun post-season!

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Impressive streak, but UCLA was winning National Championships and Boston was winning World Championships. Braves winning consecutive division championships would be like UCLA winning consecutive Pac 10 Championships (which they did) and Boston winning division championships (which they did), but they finished 1st all those years, not just in the top 8 like the Braves have.

How can winning division championships compare with winning 5 straight World Championships like the 50's Yanks, that's the most impressive streak in baseball.

Don't misinterpret, winning 14 straight division championships is very impressive, but that just means the Braves have been better than the Phillies, Mets, Expos-Nats, and arguably the Marlins (but 2 Marlin World championships to the Braves 1, I don't know?). Being better than 4 other teams for 10 years (and 5 teams in the west for a few years in the early 90's is good. But there are 30 teams in baseball?

I think Braves fans annointing the Braves the greatest ever because of division championshis is really just frustration of only being able to win 1 World championshio during that time.

Congrats.

If this was your goal, then you achieved it. Personally, after the first couple, anything less that a Series appearance or win would be a diappointment for me, but hey, whatever makes you happy.

Personally, if the Cards don't win the Series, then everything this year was meaningless.

Agreed 100%

:thumb:

LOL@ all the Braves haters downplaying what the Braves have accomplished!!!

Dont get me wrong if you dont win a WS then it dont mean much, but think about 14 straight titles? That is crazy! Think about how old you were 15 years ago, that was the last time the Braves didnt win there division!

BTW, the Braves won a couple of those under the old format before the re-aligning of the divisions! But to say they just had to be better than the teams in the east is ludacris, so if they had won all there division games and lost all there non-division games, they would still have 14 straight titles? I dont think so "SCOOTER"! The Braves have been the model of consistency for 14 years and you have to credit Bobby Cox for being able to get the Braves there every year with the way the game is today!

5 straight WS is a great feat for that time period, but that will never happen in modern day baseball! I think the 14 staright titles are more impressive just for the pure fact that back in the day(back before overblown contracts and free agency) the Yanks could put the same great players on the field every year and they knew what they had, now with all the transaction and player movement it is hard to keep a team at the top, year in and year out! Dont get me wrong, I would rather have 5 rings that 14 division titles, but within the time frame, it is equally impressive!!!

But Yes, if you are a Braves or Yanks fan then you expect nothing less than the WS every year!

LOL@ all the Braves haters downplaying what the Braves have accomplished!!!

Dont get me wrong if you dont win a WS then it dont mean much, but think about 14 straight titles? That is crazy! Think about how old you were 15 years ago, that was the last time the Braves didnt win there division!

BTW, the Braves won a couple of those under the old format before the re-aligning of the divisions! But to say they just had to be better than the teams in the east is ludacris, so if they had won all there division games and lost all there non-division games, they would still have 14 straight titles? I dont think so "SCOOTER"! The Braves have been the model of consistency for 14 years and you have to credit Bobby Cox for being able to get the Braves there every year with the way the game is today!

5 straight WS is a great feat for that time period, but that will never happen in modern day baseball! I think the 14 staright titles are more impressive just for the pure fact that back in the day(back before overblown contracts and free agency) the Yanks could put the same great players on the field every year and they knew what they had, now with all the transaction and player movement it is hard to keep a team at the top, year in and year out! Dont get me wrong, I would rather have 5 rings that 14 division titles, but within the time frame, it is equally impressive!!!

But Yes, if you are a Braves or Yanks fan then you expect nothing less than the WS every year!

How many times would the Braves won any division in baseball. This year for example Braves would of won NL East or West but none of the other divisions. And no one is downplaying what the Braves have accomplished but more amused by the fact that Braves fans cling to this as one of the greatest accomplishment in baseball. And it is a great feat to finish in the top 8 14 years in a row.

And those 4 team the Braves have to be better than also have to play everyone else, so all the Braves have to do is be better than 4 teams to win their division. And to do this 14 years in a row is great, but they need to win the whole ball of wax more than once to be proclaimed among the greats of all time.

And I am not a Braves hater, perhaps the reason I have such a strong opinion is all those years I rooted for the Braves to win WS, only to see then fail. I am not a Braves fan, per se, but do like the Braves and will root for them this year unless they play the Cardinals. I particularly will root for them to beat the Astros, because we both know the Astros are going to be tough in a short series with that pitching.

Edited by jusdontno

sure, not winning but 1 World Series has gotta be a disappointment, but i would be thrilled if i could watch the Redsox play in the playoffs 14 straight years. the NL East is a pretty good division too, you could take any team in that division and stick them in the west and they probably would have won 95 games this year. now i agree that i would get tired of seeing them get put out every year, but still, its quite an accomplishment to be in the postseason that many consecutive years....and unlike UCLA and the Celtics, they dont have the most talented team, they just take what they have and find a way to win. what impresses me is the fact that they can put 4 or 5 nobodys in their starting lineup and still be one of the best teams in the league, year after year.

How many times would the Braves won any division in baseball. This year for example Braves would of won NL East or West but none of the other divisions.

LOL!!! No other division in baseball can compete with the Braves division, my goodness, trade the Braves and Cards division, and I bet the Braves win 100 games also! Cards get to face abunch of weak teams in there division where the Braves have to compete with good teams everytime they face a division opponent! B)

LOL!!! No other division in baseball can compete with the Braves division, my goodness, trade the Braves and Cards division, and I bet the Braves win 100 games also! Cards get to face abunch of weak teams in there division where the Braves have to compete with good teams everytime they face a division opponent! :thumb:

No other division can compete with the Braves divison!! Wow!! No need of discussing things with dillusional people :lol: Looks like for second year in a row Wild Card will come from Central division. Are you telling me the Yankees, Angels, Cardinals, Red Sox or White Sox could not have won the NL East. The Nationals and Mets were just pretenders, everyone knew they were mediocre teams hanging on. With the self destruction of the Marlins, that leaves the Phillies, who had a good run, but certainly are not a great team. And remember, The EXPOS were in contention for most of the year in this division. I think you are confusing parilty with good.

This is what we can agree on. Braves are best team in the east. I hope they can beat the weak central division second place team in the playoffs next week, something they were not able to do last year.

No other division can compete with the Braves divison!! Wow!! No need of discussing things with dillusional people :rolleyes: Looks like for second year in a row Wild Card will come from Central division. Are you telling me the Yankees, Angels, Cardinals, Red Sox or White Sox could not have won the NL East. The Nationals and Mets were just pretenders, everyone knew they were mediocre teams hanging on. With the self destruction of the Marlins, that leaves the Phillies, who had a good run, but certainly are not a great team. And remember, The EXPOS were in contention for most of the year in this division. I think you are confusing parilty with good.

This is what we can agree on. Braves are best team in the east. I hope they can beat the weak central division second place team in the playoffs next week, something they were not able to do last year.

How many years has it been since there has been a division that had ever team finish with a record better than .500? Its a good possibility this year with every team in the east better than .500 right now, how many other divisions can say that? And from top to bottom is there a better division?

In the central and west combine there are 11 teams, the east's last place team has a better record than 9 of thoses teams The last place team in the east would be the first place team in the west!

And yea, the Braves are the best team in the east and the Cards are the best team in the central this year!