Dead Period Question

reddevil1

Just got through reading the rules and the DEAD PERIOD is just that, no contact what-so-ever. The OPEN FACILITIES rule is poorly placed just below, and has NO BEARING on the DEAD PERIOD. If the Alcoa pictures and story were produced during the DEAD PERIOD in the school weight room with coaches present, then they are in violation. If the story and pictures were made before and just now were printed with poor timing, then no harm - no foul. thumb

Edited by kingfish66

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well let me start off by saying this.

Coach Reid hasn't been in town since the day after the beginning of dead period. So that rules him out of opening up the weightroom.

Question:

Do unpaid assistant coaches qualify as violators of the rules if they open the facilities. I play for Alcoa and really don't know the answer to this question, I'm doin my own investigation, but I was just wondering.

I don't think Alcoa would be dumb enough to do something like this. I think that article had to be done like a day or two before the dead period. I don't think news/media post articles like this one until like a week or two later after it was taken.

Is there a link to this article? Surely the newspaper has a website. It would have been a good idea for the reporter and photographer to date the photo and article. If they would have done that and if the date read before the dead period, this thread wouldn't exist.

Edited by westTN2004

tnvols23,

The rule doesn't stipulate paid or unpaid, it says coaches. With that having been said, if you coach at a high school, whether you are paid or not, you can't have any contact withplayers during the dead period.

Someone brought up the question about a head coach and having his son on an athletic team. I would think a coach could have his own flesh and blood in the weight room if he chose to do so. BUT, there should not be any other players there. I'm sure the rule states no contact with your players. If a coach cannot have contact with his players during this 2 week period, what does he do with his son? If i were in that situation, send my butt to the beach, mountains, wherever for two weeks.

Another question - why not have the coaches get together for pre-season meetings, to plan and organize for the fall practices (football). Would this be legal since no players are involved?

Not positive on this response, but I don't think year round schools are in session now.  I believe this is their summer break similar to traditional schools.  I believe year round begins again on August 1 or thereabouts.

Good thought on calling the news-sentinel and asking questions about the article.  First I would contact the photographer and ask when the photo was shot, then contact hooker about the article.

825697974[/snapback]

You are correct regarding the summer break. Alcoa schools will resume classes on July 21st.

Guest rip25

The caption under the picture in the paper says " Alcoa High School teammates Martin White, left, and Joei Feigler pose in the school's weight room Tuesday."

People aren't assuming that the picture was taken on Tuesday, the blame paper says it.

Well let me start off by saying this.

Coach Reid hasn't been in town since the day after the beginning of dead period. So that rules him out of opening up the weightroom.

Question:

Do unpaid assistant coaches qualify as violators of the rules if they open the facilities. I play for Alcoa and really don't know the answer to this question, I'm doin my own investigation, but I was just wondering.

825698059[/snapback]

TNVols23, don't post on this topic until it's cleared up...it's just good advice... thumb

There is a way around the rule. Sell a 2 week weight room membership to anyone that wants to purchase one (you don't have to have a big advertising campaign) for $15.00. You can purchase a health club membership for 30.00 per month in some locations of Tennessee so this will keep Uncle Carter off your back. Only open the facility for X number of hours per day and pay someone to run the facility. Is this method legal? YES Would you be breaking the intent of the rule? YES This is just a loophole in the rule and any attorney with 1/2 a brain could win the case if it went to court.

I have to admit the Knotzville news sentinel, lacks in High School reporting for sure. They do not even do a good job concerning the reporting of knotzville city or county teams. Maryville has by far the worst paper for youth and school sports anywhere IMO. Ever wonder why many good area athletes don't get exposure for the next level, there is one reason why! The papers/readers don't care about anything other than VOL's FB, BB the scandals and cutting and pasting NASCAR news.

Alcoa. Knowing Coach Reid, a good man and coach, he could have made a mistake. He is a guy who would IMO push the gray areas of the rules to gain a competive advantage but would not knowingly violate the rules. Like many coaches he is always looking for ways to improve his team and in my view there is nothing wrong with that. If a rule was violated, and if Alcoa had any kids on campus working out supervised during the "Dead Period" then the TSSAA should come down hard with suspensions and IMO the coach failed in his capacity as the administrator of the program to keep the program in compliance. Last year I recall an out of state clinic that Alcoa attended, a select few players anyway came into question. I don't know how that got cleared up and I am not saying rules were violated by Alcoa. I just remember the clinic being called into question.

Lindsey lives with Coach Reid????? Where is the kid from? Lindsey, gonna buy the Reid’s a house after he get's his first NFL Pay check?

Seriously, I hope Alcoa has not broken the rules and I expect they haven't.

I don't know anything about the "dead period," but is it likely that a school administrator (ie., principal) cooperated w/the newspaper to do a photo shoot? Are the kids just NOT allowed to be in the building at all? What constitutes the "weight room" if there are more than one locations for lifting weights on school property? I just don't understand why some people aren't encouraging but rather condemning every chance they get.