Displaced Players

BigDogDaddy

While I have the greatest sympathy for the victims of Katrina, I hear the buzz about "great players" coming to "our school" and how they will be awesome!

But I have to ask the question, what happens when that displaced player bumps a 4th year senior from his hard earned starting position?

Just a another in a long list of reasons why I would never be a high school coach!

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've also been thinking about how this will affect Tennessee football. You can bet that if a star comes on a team he's going to start right away. This could make a team that would be a 3rd or 4th seed in the playoffs bump up to #1 in the region. There was a thread earlier talking about players who come on to the team at the end of summer, and everyone agreed it's wrong for those players to immediately start. Should this be the same? These kids coming up just want to play football; I have no problem with that. It will be interesting to see how teams change as these players flock into the Volunteer state.

Coaches are going to play those players who will most help their team win. It shouldn't matter if they take a senior's spot or not. If any player (freshman, transfer or Katrina displaced) deserves to play over another player then they should.

However, even if these are superstar caliber players it will take time for them to learn the system they are playing in. I don't see anyone starting immediately. So if one of these kids comes, it still may be 2-3 weeks before they can make any impact.

Lastly, these "great players" coming are often highly exaggerated. I really don't believe anyone has anything to worry about.

While I have the greatest sympathy for the victims of Katrina, I hear the buzz about "great players" coming to "our school" and how they will be awesome!

But I have to ask the question, what happens when that displaced player bumps a 4th year senior from his hard earned starting position?

Just a another in a long list of reasons why I would never be a high school coach!

I would hope that any coach sees fit to start the best players on the team. It`s his job to put the best team out there. If I had 11 juniors better than my eleven seniors, then I`m gonna start the best ones I have. If a kid transfers in then he is part of that team and should be treated accordingly..don`t you agree?

Let the best players play.

825739887[/snapback]

My thoughts exactly...your always going to have some parents and kids complain about not starting their senior year b/c a underclassman is better than them...who cares let the best ones play! nicely said :( ..it's the coach's job to win not tring to kiss everyone's tail by playing their kid

Edited by D 7-2A Fan

While my heartfelt prayers go out to those involved in this tragedy, I can't help but worry about the longterm effects on atheltics. Will top-notch players gang up and try to go to the better programs? I look for the rich getting richer in this whole thing.

I would hope there would be at least some stipulations as to how many displaced players could go to a certain school, but I am sure this will be too much of a headache for organizations like the TSSAA to worry about. I don't think being fair and balanced is one of their top priorities.

It's a mess, and I just hope the players involved are safe and allowed to get an education quickly, while turning their lives back around.