Spencer Gulmire Of Oak Ridge

WillieTheWildcat

First of all if you look at Tennessee's tradition of great backs such as Jay Graham,Travis Henry,Jamal Lewis,Travis Stephens,and Chuck Webb, Gulmire is not even in their class. Dont get me wrong, im not trying to bash Gulmire and his accomplishments. I personally think he is a talented kid. He would make a good back for a small SEC school such as KY or SC or maybe even Miss St but for Tennessee? That's pushing it.

I disagree. Gulmire's ability is very similar to that of Henry and Stevens. He has above average speed and strength, and incredible determination. He would do well running behind a Vol offensive line. SEC schools have put far too much emphasis on speed over the past 10 years. Now they have very athletic kids that are in trouble off the field, and will not play as a team on the field. The end result is that the SEC is now a weak football conference.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree. Gulmire's ability is very similar to that of Henry and Stevens. He has above average speed and strength, and incredible determination. He would do well running behind a Vol offensive line. SEC schools have put far too much emphasis on speed over the past 10 years. Now they have very athletic kids that are in trouble off the field, and will not play as a team on the field. The end result is that the SEC is now a weak football conference.

What would he do with those big SEC linebackers hitting him?

He is listed at 5'11" and 190, but he's just not that big. He's more like 5'9" and 180.

That said, as I stated before he is a great kid and an oustanding running back. He'll make some program a terrific player.

Interesting...5'9" and 180...exact listing in the Atlanta Falcon's Roster for Warrick Dunn (sp?). I wonder how Dunn would do against the big SEC linebackers? I suppose he would do quite well against the SEC judging by the success he is currently having in the NFL. The average fan is about as statistics focused as the average scout. But, statistics (on paper) do not provide the most important characteristics of a prospect. Look at a prospect's mental toughness, heart, courage...that will define a player at any level. Spencer can play in a top 20 DI program; if one will have enough smarts to give him a chance (and it is what he wants to pursue)!!

I get sick of hearing people say that because a player is 6'4" and 240 pounds and runs a 4.5...OBVOIOUSLY he's good. If he is not tough he would serve his football team better if he carried a tuba at half time. A big football player is always better than a small football player - if all of the intangibles are equal. But if the big one is a candy, I would rather have a scrapper (like Spencer) any time.

Interesting...5'9" and 180...exact listing in the Atlanta Falcon's Roster for Warrick Dunn (sp?). I wonder how Dunn would do against the big SEC linebackers? I suppose he would do quite well against the SEC judging by the success he is currently having in the NFL. The average fan is about as statistics focused as the average scout. But, statistics (on paper) do not provide the most important characteristics of a prospect. Look at a prospect's mental toughness, heart, courage...that will define a player at any level. Spencer can play in a top 20 DI program; if one will have enough smarts to give him a chance (and it is what he wants to pursue)!!

I get sick of hearing people say that because a player is 6'4" and 240 pounds and runs a 4.5...OBVOIOUSLY he's good. If he is not tough he would serve his football team better if he carried a tuba at half time. A big football player is always better than a small football player - if all of the intangibles are equal. But if the big one is a candy, I would rather have a scrapper (like Spencer) any time.

warrick dunn can do it because he has the breakaway speed to get to the outside and just run by everyone..spencer can run over people in high school, but in the sec its the best of the best, its not the same, i think he could find somewaht success but it would be of his benefit to go somewhere a little smaller

warrick dunn can do it because he has the breakaway speed to get to the outside and just run by everyone..spencer can run over people in high school, but in the sec its the best of the best, its not the same, i think he could find somewaht success but it would be of his benefit to go somewhere a little smaller

I respect your comments, and maybe Dunn is faster than Gulmire. But you're missing my point. Toughness alone...never quitting...never giving up...will allow a player without sprinter's speed to make it at the DI level. Let me ask you this, if they were the same age, who would you rather have at TN...Gerald Riggs or Spencer Gulmire? I would rather have Gulmire. At least he's tough.

I respect your comments, and maybe Dunn is faster than Gulmire. But you're missing my point. Toughness alone...never quitting...never giving up...will allow a player without sprinter's speed to make it at the DI level. Let me ask you this, if they were the same age, who would you rather have at TN...Gerald Riggs or Spencer Gulmire? I would rather have Gulmire. At least he's tough.

As cute as that halftime speech is, I can see where you're coming from talking about heart, courage, and determination but you've got to look at the facts. I'm not one to bash Gulmire because he's a great RB and has many impressive stats to consider, but comparing him to college running backs like Travis Henry? Travis Henry rushed for 436 yards on 21 carries in highschool, Travis Stephens broke all of Herschel Walker's rushing records at Charlotte Independence High School, Cedric Houston had 97 career TD's at his highschool in Arkansas. Gulmire is good, but he's not GREAT. You make many valid points, but comparing him to college and NFL running backs is absurd.

If he doesn't have breakaway speed and relies on just running over people, he must have run over alot of them to have 352 yards on 18 carries. not comparing, but when i lived in pensacola fl. escambia had a running back that most recruiters (emfinger he was the big one back then) said was to slow to play big time football (sec) he was about 5-10 205. Having seen him play about 7 games his jr. year i for the life of me could not figure out what recruiters did not like, but it always came back to his 40 times. But all in all i think Emmitt Smith turned out to be a pretty good college running back. Ya just never know, you can't time desire.

If he doesn't have breakaway speed and relies on just running over people, he must have run over alot of them to have 352 yards on 18 carries. not comparing, but when i lived in pensacola fl. escambia had a running back that most recruiters (emfinger he was the big one back then) said was to slow to play big time football (sec) he was about 5-10 205. Having seen him play about 7 games his jr. year i for the life of me could not figure out what recruiters did not like, but it always came back to his 40 times. But all in all i think Emmitt Smith turned out to be a pretty good college running back. Ya just never know, you can't time desire.

did you watch the game? he did run over every last player on that farragut team, i feel especially bad for that #6, b/c i've never seen a defender get trucked like that

did you watch the game? he did run over every last player on that farragut team, i feel especially bad for that #6, b/c i've never seen a defender get trucked like that

No, i missed it, we got white house-greenbrier here, i have heard people say such and such running back doesn't like contact, wiil fall, go out of bounds etc. Not sure i have ever heard of anything being held against a running back for running over to many people on the way to 352 yards rushing. Oak ridge is a 5a team isn't it? On defense are slobberknocking tackles also frowned upon?

As cute as that halftime speech is, I can see where you're coming from talking about heart, courage, and determination but you've got to look at the facts. I'm not one to bash Gulmire because he's a great RB and has many impressive stats to consider, but comparing him to college running backs like Travis Henry? Travis Henry rushed for 436 yards on 21 carries in highschool, Travis Stephens broke all of Herschel Walker's rushing records at Charlotte Independence High School, Cedric Houston had 97 career TD's at his highschool in Arkansas. Gulmire is good, but he's not GREAT. You make many valid points, but comparing him to college and NFL running backs is absurd.

I hate to break the news to you, but Travis Stephens was from Clarksville, TN and Walker is from South Georgia. Neither played at Charlotte Independence.