Cheatham Co. at David Lipscomb

Guest catfish-hunter

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BombSquad,

Your total lack of effort on CoachT over the past few weeks is deplorable. I am embarassed to know you as a person. The 13th grade week in and week out is expected to Own coacht.com. I know you don't have anything to do at the joke of of a University you attend.

On another note, congrats to DL on the win tonight. I can't make it to any games, but I hear the results have been respectable this year after the move to 3A. Keep up the good work, hope to see you in the title game.

Sincerely,

hsfball

First of all, congratulations to Cheatham County on an outstanding season. Going 9-3 in the first year in 3A is a terrific feat as well as winning on the road in the first round of the playoffs. The Cubs came to play tonight and moved the ball well, but just could not push it into the end zone. QB Kendall Bell was terrific on a night that Potts and Jones could not get fully untracked. Hope he is okay after a taking a huge hit on the last play of the game. Hats off to the entire Cheatham County coaching staff and team for a great game and season.

Congrats also to Lipscomb on the win tonight and moving into the quarterfinals next week against Lexington. QB Clay Smith moved the team well utilizing the option offense. Cheatham keyed on Elrod all night and Smith was able to make the plays and adjustments when necessary. Man of the night is Jason Hull. The senior kicked two FGs, one PAT, and had the final interception late in the fourth quarter to seal the win. Super job by Coach Mac and his staff.

Lipscomb and Cheatham County will be a great game to come in the region of the next several years. Super rivalry with two great fan bases. Both programs respect each other very well.

Catfish-Hunter . . . It was great seeing you as always up in the pressbox. You guys are a class act and we look forward to making the trip to Ashland City next year. Pass along the congrats to all of your guys.

Guest catfish-hunter

Thanks for the kind words stampede ;)

It will be awfully hard to replace this group of seniors. Kendall Bell, Landon Jones, Donnie Thomas, Brandon Piper, Clint Casteel, Brad Potts, Boyd Winnett, Robert Hambly, Ben Moore, Jack Hoeh, Gerry Knox, Derek Jock, Matt Kirby, Justin Wood, Adam Moss, Eric Randolph, and Chas Babbs. You all will be missed and your contributions to the football program at Cheatham Co. Central will NEVER BE FORGOTTEN!!!!!

4 PLAYOFF TRIPS IN 4 YEARS IN 2 CLASSIFICATIONS

2002: (5-6) lost in the opening round to Crockett Co.

2003: (8-3) lost in the opening round to McKenzie

2004: (8-4) beat McKenzie in Rd. 1 and lost in the second round to Huntingdon

2005: (9-3) beat Liberty in Rd. 1 and lost to David Lipscomb in the 2nd Rd.

OVERALL: (30-16) THE ALL-TIME WINNINGEST CLASS IN THE HISTORY OF CHEATHAM COUNTY CENTRAL HIGH SCHOOL CUBS FOOTBALL!!!!!!!!

There is nothing to be ashamed of men. You guys laid it all on the line tonight against a football team that will probably win the Class 3A State Title (which I for one think they will & hope that they do) :o

Guest catfish-hunter

Actually I believe the class of 1998 was 30-15. That would be 1 less loss

The records would be 1998- 7-4 (1st round loss in 4A)

1997- 6-4 (No playoffs)

1996- 9-3 (2nd round loss in 4A)

1995- 8-4 (2nd round loss in 4A)

I believe that is correct.....or is it?

In 1998 the Cubs were 2-8. '98 was the first year Sycamore opened so that would make the '97 team the last team that Tharp coached and for four years after Tharp left Cheatham had an overall record of 7-33. Coach Finley became the head coach in 2002 and the team's record is 30-16 since the start to that year.

Here is the answer to your question:

1997: (7-4) lost in the first round of the playoffs to Tullahoma

1996: (6-4) MISSED THE PLAYOFFS

1995: (9-3) lost in the second round to Westwood

1994: (8-4) lost in the second round to Westwood

That is an overall record of 30-15 so I missed the answer by one loss. I know that one of the years in the mid-90's the Cubs beat Lexington in the opening round of the playoffs and the other year I believe it was Hardin Co. that they beat in the opening round of the playoffs. I will say that this group of seniors did qualify for the playoffs every year, while the group of seniors that played their final year in '97 and graduated from Cheatham Co. Central in '98 missed the playoffs as juniors.

Now with that having been said I know that there is someone out there who is gonna try to tell me that the Cubs in the 90's played better teams than these Cubs did and hey that is absolutely correct. In '94 Brentwood Academy was a region foe for the Cubs and every other year, including that year, the Cubs got to play teams like Maplewood Pearl-Cohn Beech and many other loaded football teams. Does that mean that eveytime these Cubs are credited for their success that they must have someone tell them "well you guys didn't have to play......."???? NO!

This group of seniors were the first in the history of the school to host a home playoff game, which they won over McKenzie. They won in the playoffs in back-to-back years for the first time in a decade. Their coach has compiled the best four year start (in terms of overall record) compared to any other coach at any of the three schools in the history of the county. 2003 & 2005 CHAMPIONS OF CHEATHAM COUNTY (no t-shirts will be made) :thumb:

I hope that this helps you out!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by catfish-hunter

Guest catfish-hunter

In 1994 he Cubs beat and 8-2 Lexington team, in Lexington 20-13.

Thanks for clearing that up PrepFanatic. After a four year absence Cheatham Co. advanced to the 3A playoffs in 2002 then in '03 they dropped to 2A. Two years in 2A and an overall record of 16-7, yet this year they were making the jump back to 3A and nobody had the Cubs as a playoff team in the preseason. Now that they were a 9-3 team in their first year back in 3A I don't know what else anyone can come up with to discount this bunch.

Heavy loss due to graduation is about to hit this team HARD but I still believe that they can compete for a Region 5-3A Championship next year. Giles Co. will be much improved in their second year under Tim Johnson and the fact that they missed the playoffs means that they'll have a chip on their shoulder next year. David Lipscomb is an awfully young football team and they'll be good like always next year. Marshall Co. returns a bunch of offensive firepower to a team that scored a bunch of points under first year coach William Johnson this year.

Those will probably be the top three teams (preseason predictions) for the 2006 season. After that Creek Wood, Page, Mont. Central, and Cheatham Co. will be predicted in several different orders depending on what magazine you buy next August.

Cheatham Co. will get Giles Co. (week two), David Lipscomb (week four), Marshall Co. (week six), and Creek Wood (week eight) all at home next year. That's a great thing considering the youth the Cubs will have between the lines on Friday nights next fall.

Guest catfish-hunter

Well then, you did help me out.....or did you?

I miss typed the year, and your statement about the past 4 years being the best In Cheatham History was incorrect....or was it?

An yes, the mid 90 teams were better, hands down, no contest.....or were they??

An yes, once again you posted incorrect facts based on your very limited knowledge of the Cheatham program....or did you??

If you need advice, or the truth, drop me a line and I will help you....or will I???

Right something smart back, call me a moron, pump your ego with a dull witted post somehow making fun, and I will not reply boy........or will I??????

The reason they were better overall (30-15) back then as compared to now (30-16) is because of the fact that they played in one less game. Why??? They failed to make the playoffs in '96. If you want to brag about that then please go ahead.

I have no other comments other than to say you know all and I know nothing, end of story. No need to write anything else back because you said it all in your post.

Now for anyone else who reads this post:

When the Cubs made the drop to 2A and started winning 8 games a season everyone wanted to say of course that should happen. Playing teams like Richland, Waverly, Loretto, and Harpeth for region games is a win-win situation. The Cubs made the move up to 3A this year and the induvidual whose post I just quoted was one of many who said that the Cubs would not compete in a region that includes Lipscomb, Marshall Co., Page, and a raplidly improving Creek Wood program because they had no depth. Well he was shockingly wrong again because all the Cubs did was win nine games and advance to the second round of the playoffs. They took Lipscomb to the wire and showed that they were better than the way they played in week four. They won the Cheatham Co. Championship but unlike others there will be no t-shirts made for that small feat. Bigger things are expected at CCCHS other than beating teams that finish 4-6 & 1-9 overall (no I did not mention any names so nobody out there can say otherwise).

Now these Cubs did lose one more game than did the bunch that played from '94-'97 BUT they also went to the playoffs all four years. Those Cubs did not do that, therefore that is why they have one less loss than these Cubs. They played one fewer game overall because they just weren't good enough to get it done in '96 when big things were expected from a Cubs team that was then coached by Terry Arrington. If people want to be like the guy who just posted prior to me and take pride in the fact that those Cubs lost one fewer game because they played in one less game then go ahead. You can accept being mediocre all you want because anyone with half a brain knows that mediocrity is the cream of the crap.

The 1994 and 1995 cubs were 4-A. And Hardin Co back then had the likes of Mark Turnbow and Casey Bevis (Turnbow is now in the MLB). The team that beat Lexingtn in 1994 faced Gerald Arnold, who was the All Time leading rusher at Memphis(went to the NFL and signed with the Redskins)

until DeAngelo Willams.

Lexington was 8-2, their only loses where to Collierville (now 5-A), and 5-A JCM team that had Eddie Yeh, Wesley Barlow, and current NFL standouts Artis HIcks, and Al Wilson. (20-7 by the way)

Guest catfish-hunter

These Cubs lost 14-0 to Huntingdon last year and this year they lost 13-3 to David Lipscomb in the second round of the playoffs. They beat McKenzie in the opening round last year and McKenzie's Drew Hayes finished as the #2 passer in the state all-time. Liberty this year was a big and a very athletic football team that could play with anyone. The Cubs beat them 20-9 at their place a few weeks back. As freshmen these seniors lost in the opening round of the playoffs at Crockett Co. the Cavs back then featured a backfield that included Artis Pitts and Earnest Williams, who won Mr. Football and now plays at Memphis.

Those teams aren't exactly "pushovers" :)

Guest catfish-hunter

Not to mention other NFL players John Henderson (Pearl Cohn), Avion Black and Karon Key (Maplewood), and a wide receiver at Memphis Westwood whose name escapes me at the moment. Also on that Westwood team was QB Kenton Evans who that very year set th ALL TIME National Passing record which stood until broken by Tim Couch.

You mention fine Hs players and fine teams that the Cubs of this year LOST to. Prepfantic and myself mention NFL players that the Cubs of 94 BEAT!!!! (With the exception of Memphis Westwood who the Cubs took to OT before losing 13-6)

You are not comparing apples to apples here. Or are you?

Old school cubs were much more physical, fast, and hardcore....or were they?

On that team they had at least 4 all-staters, 1 shrine all star MVP, 1 starter in the TN-KY all star game, at least 4 college football players, at least 4 head football coaches (and not all at CCHS) and were playing 4A football.....no breaks

Father Ryan, Beech, Pearl Cohn, Maplewood, Stratford, etc.......the easy weeks WERE Harpeth and they were much better then than now....or were they?

Present day Cubs are good, no doubt, but somewhere around 4th or 5th on the all time list......at best........or are they?

John plays in the NFL. I remember the name Avion Black, but I do not remember where he played college ball. Kenton Evans is the guy who is ahead of McKenzie's Drew Hayes on the all-time passing yards list. Evans went to Marshall but finished playing at TSU. He was the quarterback who replaced Leon Murray at TSU in 2000 but lost his starting job about midway through that season to a guy named Shannon Harris, who coaches quarterbacks at TSU today. Karon Key played fullback at TSU and was a really good college football player in the OVC. I think last I heard he tried out for an NFL team and was cut.

Do you honestly feel that McKenzie's Drew Hayes won't amount to anything in college???? The Cubs beat him in the playoffs last year. Huntingdon beat the Cubs like Westwood did. Huntingdon features two Mr. Football finalists in the same backfield in Donald and Weathers and Cheatham shut those guys down. Cheatham beat a Liberty team that has a back named Brandon Howard and a big tackle named Jeremy Turner. Both of those guys will without question play on the next level. The Cubs shutdown Josh McMurray (Page) and Jeffrey Lyle (Mont. Cent.) and both of those guys will play DII or maybe ever I-AA ball next year. They allowed 13 points (10 in the opening quarter) and less than 200 yards of total offense to a David Lipscomb team that will be in Murfreesboro a few weeks down the road. Elrod, who has rushed for 1,400+ yards and 29TD's this year, could only manage 80 yards on 20 carries vs the Cubs stingy defense.

Capt. Truth, did you honestly think that this year's Cubs team would be a playoff team at the start of the year???? If so did you think that they'd win 9 games and go to the second round of the playoffs and take a team as great as Lipscomb to the wire?????

Give these guys a little bit of credit ;)

And by the way, check the 94 Lex-CC score. True Lex led 13-6 at half but the final score was somewhere around 45-18 CC. The Cubs exploded in the second half.

Or did they???

Your right 48-20, when we held CC to 66 total yards in the first half, but Ligon had 202 rushing yards in the second half. Like I said a couple of people got punched in the mouth, Did you had to point out it was that bad, lol?

Edited by PrepFanatic