Melrose vs Maryville Round 2

kwc

In the Tuesday's edition of the Commercial Appeal, there is a story about the 4th annual Memphis area high school All-Star game. I only mention this in this thread because I think that the non selection of Michael Carter on the team is downright criminal. I don't know who selected the players that were selected, or how the selection process works, but not selecting him borders on complete incompetence ... and I am being kind when I say that! I am completely baffeled. But ... It does throw logs on the fire that burn within Michael Carter. The people who selected the teams may as well walked up to that young man, spit in his face and then slapped him. His recourse of action in response to such an outrageous insult is to have a really big game against Maryville. Add on the souring distaste of a one point loss last year in the championship game after being told all weak prior to the game that they were going to be outcoached, outdisciplined, outexecuted, and out everything else by Maryville. A young man like Michael Carter, with his extreme competativeness, drive, and determination isn't going to take this slight lightly. He's been as dominant on the defense as Cooper has been on offense.

Not selecting him for the All-Star team is one of the biggest blunders that could have been done. He already plays with a mean disposition, ANYWAY. Saturday, he's going to be downright NASTY! He's going to play like a man possessed. I think he uses it as motivation this coming Saturday. I know I would! The sheer audacity to not select THE MOST DOMINANT DL IN MEMPHIS HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL for it's all star game.

This is a really big game and I am not insinuating that Michael wasn't going to come out fired up anyway. What I am saying is that this is just more motivation for the young man. I mean ... how would you view it if you were dominant in EVERY game you played ... had been nominated for the highest honor that could be given for a highschool player in TN ... then you get snubbed by the selection committee for the All-Star team in the sport you were the most dominant in your position, in your city/town?

All I can do is shake my head and wonder ... who picked the players? Where they living in a vaccumn?

Here's the Link.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/mca/footba...4274109,00.html

KWC, this is extremely hard to believe! This kid is a beast. My son lined up against him in the JCM game and said he was the biggest, strongest and fastest he lined up against all season. He talked with him after the game and said he was a great guy. Leaves me wondering why too.

The Cougars wish Melrose the best of luck and hope you bring the Gold Ball back to West Tennessee! My son and a lot of his teammates will be making the trip to the 'Boro and will be cheering you guys on.

• Replies 338
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm glad that Cooper has confidence...if i was as good as he is i would too...but we dont expect to lose this year either or in that case any year...It will be a close one but in the end I think it will be execution and intelligent coaching that will bring the gold ball back to Maryville for the 5th time in 6 years...GO REBELS!!!

In the Tuesday's edition of the Commercial Appeal, there is a story about the 4th annual Memphis area high school All-Star game. I only mention this in this thread because I think that the non selection of Michael Carter on the team is downright criminal. I don't know who selected the players that were selected, or how the selection process works, but not selecting him borders on complete incompetence ... and I am being kind when I say that! I am completely baffeled. But ... It does throw logs on the fire that burn within Michael Carter. The people who selected the teams may as well walked up to that young man, spit in his face and then slapped him. His recourse of action in response to such an outrageous insult is to have a really big game against Maryville. Add on the souring distaste of a one point loss last year in the championship game after being told all weak prior to the game that they were going to be outcoached, outdisciplined, outexecuted, and out everything else by Maryville. A young man like Michael Carter, with his extreme competativeness, drive, and determination isn't going to take this slight lightly. He's been as dominant on the defense as Cooper has been on offense.

Not selecting him for the All-Star team is one of the biggest blunders that could have been done. He already plays with a mean disposition, ANYWAY. Saturday, he's going to be downright NASTY! He's going to play like a man possessed. I think he uses it as motivation this coming Saturday. I know I would! The sheer audacity to not select THE MOST DOMINANT DL IN MEMPHIS HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL for it's all star game.

This is a really big game and I am not insinuating that Michael wasn't going to come out fired up anyway. What I am saying is that this is just more motivation for the young man. I mean ... how would you view it if you were dominant in EVERY game you played ... had been nominated for the highest honor that could be given for a highschool player in TN ... then you get snubbed by the selection committee for the All-Star team in the sport you were the most dominant in your position, in your city/town?

All I can do is shake my head and wonder ... who picked the players? Where they living in a vaccumn?

Here's the Link.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/mca/footba...4274109,00.html

Thank you Mr. Carter for that wonderful post. No question Young Mr. Carter is a great athlete and player. Can't speak to any reason he was not choosen as an all-star. Polls and awards are more of who is popular than who is the best.

I expect for Mr. Carter to come out and play hard. Yeare after year many good players on Maryville's get over looked as well, but when the games are setteled on the field Maryville normally comes out on top. We respect M. Carter but he being fired up will not be enough, because Maryville is ready for this game as is fired up as well.

Thank you Mr. Carter for that wonderful post. No question Young Mr. Carter is a great athlete and player. Can't speak to any reason he was not choosen as an all-star. Polls and awards are more of who is popular than who is the best.

I expect for Mr. Carter to come out and play hard. Yeare after year many good players on Maryville's get over looked as well, but when the games are setteled on the field Maryville normally comes out on top. We respect M. Carter but he being fired up will not be enough, because Maryville is ready for this game as is fired up as well.

FBE ... I'm not Mr. Carter ... nor was my commentary an insinuation that Maryville wouldn't be fired up and ready to play. Maryville is Maryville and everybody knows that they will be prepared. My purpose for writing such a post was to give some insight to some of the inner workings and additional motivational factors going on in this game.

This slight by the All-Star selection committee will not win the game for Melrose. But look at it like this FBE. If region 3 and 4 were to put together an All-Star team that was comprised of the best seniors in those regions, regardless of classification. How would you think Gary Tucker would feel if he were excluded ... yet they selected four of his teammates? Now you understand the gist of my post.

FBE ... I'm not Mr. Carter ... nor was my commentary an insinuation that Maryville wouldn't be fired up and ready to play. Maryville is Maryville and everybody knows that they will be prepared. My purpose for writing such a post was to give some insight to some of the inner workings and additional motivational factors going on in this game.

This slight by the All-Star selection committee will not win the game for Melrose. But look at it like this FBE. If region 3 and 4 were to put together an All-Star team that was comprised of the best seniors in those regions, regardless of classification. How would you think Gary Tucker would feel if he were excluded ... yet they selected four of his teammates? Now you understand the gist of my post.

Or better yet ... how would one of Smith kids feel if this happened to them?

Is Kenyatta Fullilove still playing defensive back for Melrose...if so, how's he doing? I remember he was definitely tough on D against Maryville last year, knocking a few of our receivers flat...

Yes he is. He was the Commercial Appeals Athlete of the Week in football for his defensive plays angainst Hillsboro last week.

I quote ...

"Kenyatta Fullilove, Melrose safety: A 5-11, 175-pound senior, Fullilove recorded three tackles for minus -28 yards, had two sacks and forced a fumble in Melrose's 28-7 Class 4A semifinal win over host Nashville Hillsboro last Friday night. His performance helped the Golden Wildcats limit Hillsboro to just 39 second-half yards"

Well papa, from what I have seen number 7 and a few of their linemen play both ways. Number 7 plays tightend and outside line backer, and the guards and tackles play dt's and ends on deffense.

I dont know if you have heard this but their punt returner is amazing. Dont look for albert to be kicking the ball to him any time soon. But most of their skill players except for running backs play on their deffense.

Can't wait till state!!!! B)

Yes he is amazing ... I can't remember his first name, but his last name is Holloway, and he wears #13. He's had two punt returns for touchdowns in the post season. He ran a punt back for a TD against Henry County and he ran a punt back against Hillsboro. Keep ya eye out for #13 ... he can flat out FLY!

Now that's what I call a super sophmore!

Well papa, from what I have seen number 7 and a few of their linemen play both ways. Number 7 plays tightend and outside line backer, and the guards and tackles play dt's and ends on deffense.

I dont know if you have heard this but their punt returner is amazing. Dont look for albert to be kicking the ball to him any time soon. But most of their skill players except for running backs play on their deffense.

Yes he is amazing ... I can't remember his first name, but his last name is Holloway, and he wears #13. He's had two punt returns for touchdowns in the post season. He ran a punt back for a TD against Henry County and he ran a punt back against Hillsboro. Keep ya eye out for #13 ... he can flat out FLY!