Advertisements

Antwan

They advertised for students to attend their schools. They said they had state championship athletic teams. The recruiting line is very fuzzy.

It is interesting, because the definition of "undue influence" is decided on a case-by-case basis by Mr. Carter. I think in the current climate, a school (private or public) could go on air and have a dedicated advertising campaign for the sole purpose of attracting football palyers, and it would not be deemed "undue influence".

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is interesting, because the definition of "undue influence" is decided on a case-by-case basis by Mr. Carter. I think in the current climate, a school (private or public) could go on air and have a dedicated advertising campaign for the sole purpose of attracting football palyers, and it would not be deemed "undue influence".

I think you are right...and I don't understand that.

Actually, VG is right. I watched the Alcoa vs. Goodpasture game on Jackson's JEA network last night, and the ad's for public schools outnumbered those for private schools atleast five to one. USJ had one ad run the entire time. JCS had three, I believe. There was atleast one ad for a public school during EVERY single commercial break. There were seperate ad's for Liberty and Madison, as well as encompassing ad's for all of the Madison Co. magnet schools. North Side also ran some commercials. Also, every single public high school ad mentioned athletics.

Ahhhh...Thank you Kublah. ;)

Hey Antwan... :thumb:

A, I've got plenty of ice bags here at the house, if you need some for those new bruises!

:lol:

I think you are missing the difference. The privates (MBA and DL) advertised for kids to attend their schools. The publics...I saw...advertised to support their team. They did not advertise for students. I did not see the East or West Tn ads...though. What did they say?

:thumb:

The publics...I saw...advertised to support their team.

Oh Antwan you have a very hard time admitting you just night be wrong.

There was atleast one ad for a public school during EVERY single commercial break. There were seperate ad's for Liberty and Madison, as well as encompassing ad's for all of the Madison Co. magnet schools. North Side also ran some commercials. Also, every single public high school ad mentioned athletics.

Last I looked not one single public school from Madison County were playing in the state championship.

Oh Antwan you have a very hard time admitting you just night be wrong.

Last I looked not one single public school from Madison County were playing in the state championship.

Nah...I'll admit it if I am wrong. I didn't see the East and West adds. I did see the Middle. There was a big difference.

I don' think either should advertise for students in that forum. It is recruiting...plain and simple.

Nah...I'll admit it if I am wrong. I didn't see the East and West adds. I did see the Middle. There was a big difference.

I don' think either should advertise for students in that forum. It is recruiting...plain and simple.

Thank you for you annual, boring, redundant, baseless, hypocritical, opinion.

Whether it's recruiting or not is debatable. What isn't debatable is that anyone who responds to the ads still has to take an admissions test and have their financial aid award determined by an independent body. If we have an advantage by being able to advertise, it is at least partially off-set by having admissions standards which mean you end up turning away plenty of people who will end up competing against you. At least, that's the way it used to be when we played against public schools. I remember well a kid at MBA during my era who was forced to leave school for academic reasons who then went on to play against us for 3 years for another team. FRHA, DLHS and BA add another layer with the religioius aspect. I would imagine they would turn you away if you weren't a devoted Christian, even if you were otherwise qualified.

The irnoy is, we constantly have to defend ourselves against the "elitist" label, but when you do things like advertise, so that people outside the usual student body demographic are encouraged to learn more about the school (rest assured, the target audience of those ads isn't kids at Harding, Oak Hill, and Ensworth) we get criticized for recruiting....

Whether it's recruiting or not is debatable. What isn't debatable is that anyone who responds to the ads still has to take an admissions test and have their financial aid award determined by an independent body. If we have an advantage by being able to advertise, it is at least partially off-set by having admissions standards which mean you end up turning away plenty of people who will end up competing against you. At least, that's the way it used to be when we played against public schools. I remember well a kid at MBA during my era who was forced to leave school for academic reasons who then went on to play against us for 3 years for another team. FRHA, DLHS and BA add another layer with the religioius aspect. I would imagine they would turn you away if you weren't a devoted Christian, even if you were otherwise qualified.

The irnoy is, we constantly have to defend ourselves against the "elitist" label, but when you do things like advertise, so that people outside the usual student body demographic are encouraged to learn more about the school (rest assured, the target audience of those ads isn't kids at Harding, Oak Hill, and Ensworth) we get criticized for recruiting....

You get critized for recruiting...because you are recruiting. Isn't that the reason for the ads? You are recruiting students...not necessarily athletes. I really don't think you should be able to do that in that forum. That is why I say the recruiting rules are fuzzy at best.