Advertisements

Antwan

Thank you for your usual useless post. If you want to comment in this thread...at least..make an argument either way instead of making an uneducated post.

What more could I add to the comments that have been made when you started this same, annual, redundant, boring thread the last 15 years?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You get critized for recruiting...because you are recruiting. Isn't that the reason for the ads? You are recruiting students...not necessarily athletes. I really don't think you should be able to do that in that forum. That is why I say the recruiting rules are fuzzy at best.

I guess I regard "recruiting" and "advertising" as two very different things. "Recruiting" has its own negative connotations in this context. I see recruiting (whether it be for a school, a job, whatever) as targeting a specific group with specific attributes. I think of Proctor and Gamble taking an ad in the NY Times saying "qualified applicants are encouraged to seek employment with us" as different from them visiting a campus, meeting candidates, screening resumes, and conducting interviews.

Antwan...You do know what is said to be the best form of advertising don`t you? "Word of Mouth" With that being said, there is loads of advertising going on here in Madison County. With 3 private schools and 2 magnet schools in the county there is loads of "discussing" where to send your kids.

Private school parents would love to see your kid come to their school. Liberty parents would tell you not to go to Northside or JCM or Southside and come on over to this very new school. JCM parents would tell you that JCM is a great school and not to go to the magnet schools. We have so many options here. So you can imagine that parents talk and try to get other kids (even good athletes) to attend their school. I`ve tried to convince parents that were zoned to go to JCM to go to JCM and not Madison or Liberty. And these were athletes too. Is it recruiting when you are talking to a parent from your own zone? I don`t know. I do know this...education is changing. You`ll see more and more of these open zone (magnet) type schools.

And there is nothing wrong with advertising. In fact I think it is a good thing. When schools (public or private)start competing with other schools for students then it makes each school work harder to be a viable learning environment. I`d love to see all schools trying their best to improve and advertising to tell folks what`s going on there. It forces other schools to do better to keep up.

Antwan...You do know what is said to be the best form of advertising don`t you? "Word of Mouth" With that being said, there is loads of advertising going on here in Madison County. With 3 private schools and 2 magnet schools in the county there is loads of "discussing" where to send your kids.

Private school parents would love to see your kid come to their school. Liberty parents would tell you not to go to Northside or JCM or Southside and come on over to this very new school. JCM parents would tell you that JCM is a great school and not to go to the magnet schools. We have so many options here. So you can imagine that parents talk and try to get other kids (even good athletes) to attend their school. I`ve tried to convince parents that were zoned to go to JCM to go to JCM and not Madison or Liberty. And these were athletes too. Is it recruiting when you are talking to a parent from your own zone? I don`t know. I do know this...education is changing. You`ll see more and more of these open zone (magnet) type schools.

And there is nothing wrong with advertising. In fact I think it is a good thing. When schools (public or private)start competing with other schools for students then it makes each school work harder to be a viable learning environment. I`d love to see all schools trying their best to improve and advertising to tell folks what`s going on there. It forces other schools to do better to keep up.

I don't have a problem at all with parents discussing where to go to school. I do have a problem with a coach of a school doing the same thing.

I guess the thing is...that I don't think private schools should advertise on tv for students during the blue cross title games. Public schools do not do that. You can agree or disagree.

I guess the thing is...that I don't think private schools should advertise on tv for students during the blue cross title games. Public schools do not do that. You can agree or disagree.

Actually, yes they did. Just because you did not see it does not mean it isn't there. Kind of like gravity. This is not a matter of debate. In West TN, there were about 500 million ad's for PUBLIC PUBLIC PUBLIC PUBLIC PUBLIC (just so it hits home) schools during the game. There are also regular commercials for public schools in the Jackson Sun, on cable TV, on the radio, as well as in local magazines. Just admit it, you're wrong.

What is wrong with a private entity advertising? I suppose you think McDonald's should not advertise because they will take sales from farmers' markets?

Actually, yes they did. Just because you did not see it does not mean it isn't there. Kind of like gravity. This is not a matter of debate. In West TN, there were about 500 million ad's for PUBLIC PUBLIC PUBLIC PUBLIC PUBLIC (just so it hits home) schools during the game. There are also regular commercials for public schools in the Jackson Sun, on cable TV, on the radio, as well as in local magazines. Just admit it, you're wrong.

What is wrong with a private entity advertising? I suppose you think McDonald's should not advertise because they will take sales from farmers' markets?

Just because you say they do...does not mean they do. What did the ads say? Give me a link to the Sun articles. Kinda like centrifugal force. I'll admit I'm wrong when I see some proof. It is wrong because they are recruiting students at a tssaa sponsored event. If you want to recruit in other venues...have at it.

I think the publics should be able to spend government money to say...hey...move into our zone...we just won a state title. If you have a stud athlete...we can use him.

Edited by Antwan

It's an old argument from last years. VG said public schools would advertise. Haven't seen it yet.

I have seen West End Middle School, Meigs Magnet, MLK Magnet, and Hume Fogg all advertise. They do this by placing Open House announcements in the local shoppers and newspapers. Hey, I for one feel that it is a good idea to show off what you have to offer to prospective students.

I think the publics should be able to spend government money to say...hey...move into our zone...we just won a state title. If you have a stud athlete...we can use him.

I agree they should be able to do that...not just for football, but for anything they want to trumpet: college placements, SAT scores, national merit semifinalists, etc. I'm sure there are plenty of ancillary benefits of a family moving to a community (tax revenues, school pride, ability to attract other students, etc.) to rationalize the cost of the advertising.

a comparison (stretch perhaps) is that the U.S. postal service started advertising several years ago in response to the growth of Fed Ex and UPS.

I agree they should be able to do that...not just for football, but for anything they want to trumpet: college placements, SAT scores, national merit semifinalists, etc. I'm sure there are plenty of ancillary benefits of a family moving to a community (tax revenues, school pride, ability to attract other students, etc.) to rationalize the cost of the advertising.

a comparison (stretch perhaps) is that the U.S. postal service started advertising several years ago in response to the growth of Fed Ex and UPS.

It is different for metro private schools...because of the huge population base. They are competing with rural areas on the field. What are we going to adveritse...come to Smith County...our cow populaton is next to none. Do you really thing small publics are going to advertise? Heck...it's a challenge just to pay for paper.

It is different for metro private schools...because of the huge population base. They are competing with rural areas on the field. What are we going to adveritse...come to Smith County...our cow populaton is next to none. Do you really thing small publics are going to advertise? Heck...it's a challenge just to pay for paper.

I see plenty of things you could advertise to people in metro Nashville: low cost of living, low crime rate, favorable tax structure, close to Center Hill Lake, great outdoors activities. I see a lot of people who moved to murfreesboro over the years for these very reasons. Close enough to enjoy a big city if you want to, far enough away to avoid the things you don't want. The school system would need the credentials to back that up, however, in order for it to be effective.

I see plenty of things you could advertise to people in metro Nashville: low cost of living, low crime rate, favorable tax structure, close to Center Hill Lake, great outdoors activities. I see a lot of people who moved to murfreesboro over the years for these very reasons. Close enough to enjoy a big city if you want to, far enough away to avoid the things you don't want. The school system would need the credentials to back that up, however, in order for it to be effective.

Nah...I think most here would rather keep the population as it is. Like I said...our schools struggle to get by...and we are much better off than most. Most people don't want to commute to Nashville from here. Murfreesboro is 20 miles away. We are about 50-60 miles away. Center Hill is in Dekalb County. Maybe they need to advertise. :P Advertising for students here is just not going to happen.