Battleground Academy

Sweep Left

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll preface this by stating that I think BGA is an awesome school with great support and a ton of things going for it.

I have, however, been wondering what is going on at BGA in terms of athletics. 4-5 years ago, they were one of the best overall athletic programs in the state, with arguably the best facilities anywhere as well. The facilities are still there, but it seems that although there are still some good athletes at the school, the numbers aren't as large, and they have not been as competitive as they were.

Is it just cyclical, or has something fundamentally or structurally changed at BGA that has caused this to happen?

I'll preface this by stating that I think BGA is an awesome school with great support and a ton of things going for it.

I have, however, been wondering what is going on at BGA in terms of athletics. 4-5 years ago, they were one of the best overall athletic programs in the state, with arguably the best facilities anywhere as well. The facilities are still there, but it seems that although there are still some good athletes at the school, the numbers aren't as large, and they have not been as competitive as they were.

Is it just cyclical, or has something fundamentally or structurally changed at BGA that has caused this to happen?

JMO, but Battle Ground Academy has experienced several problems at the same time.

1. The economy has not been the best and some people are not able to afford the expensive but great education

2. It has been a down cycle for great athletes attending BGA. Yes they have had a few but not the numbers that you need to win in football.

3. BGA is a small school and some of the better athletes have made the decision to only play one sport. With a school the size of BGA the best athletes have to play a minium of two sports and probably 3.

I can’t necessarily speak for athletics, but I’ve been told the school has slowly been shifting from its long history of taking students predominantly from the nice suburbs of Nashville and is leaning towards kids from the rural parts of what we would be considered the Metropolitan Nashville area (in other words, the school appears to be taking on more a “community” feel).

Of course, that’s not to say that great athletic teams can’t be fielded with those students – they can – but my sense from talking to a very small subset of alumni parents (and therefore don’t know accurate this is) is that there are quite a few more disgruntled alumni now than there were five-ten years ago, which may mean that more of the Nashville-based alumni are not considering their alma mater for their children.

Not trying to stir the pot; I have always thought very highly of BGA, and quite frankly, for tradition reasons, have been disappointed to hear some things about the school lately (primarily as it relates to alumni, which in many cases are the lifeblood of old schools like BGA).

I can’t necessarily speak for athletics, but I’ve been told the school has slowly been shifting from its long history of taking students predominantly from the nice suburbs of Nashville and is leaning towards kids from the rural parts of what we would be considered the Metropolitan Nashville area (in other words, the school appears to be taking on more a “community” feel).

Of course, that’s not to say that great athletic teams can’t be fielded with those students – they can – but my sense from talking to a very small subset of alumni parents (and therefore don’t know accurate this is) is that there are quite a few more disgruntled alumni now than there were five-ten years ago, which may mean that more of the Nashville-based alumni are not considering their alma mater for their children.

If BGA is shifting its focus from southern Davidson Co to all Williamson and Maury Co, as you suggest, this actually makes alot of sense. Having to go through Brentwood and/or Cool Springs these days is a nightmare.

Not sure I buy into this concern of the Nashville-based alumni either. The Nashville alumni (that would have school-age children) attended BGA at a time when there were far fewer established private schools in the area. In the 70's there were 3 HS's in Nashville that competed with BGA [MBA, David Lipscomb, and FRHS (USN was non-athletic; FRA and BA were new; HH a girl's school)] for students. Today add in Ensworth and CPA. That makes 10 schools competing for the same small group of students willing and able to shell out alot of money.

Bottom line in D-II football is that you have to win....period or you will ultimately lose your job. The Boards of Trust at most of these schools see winning in football as key to attracting good student athletes. Look at Baylor and Father Ryan. They were not winning enough so you see what happened.

Sometimes you can win and still lose your job (see Tom Moore) The pressure is always there. BGA felt they had to make a move to stop the bleeding.

Not trying to stir the pot; I have always thought very highly of BGA, and quite frankly, for tradition reasons, have been disappointed to hear some things about the school lately (primarily as it relates to alumni, which in many cases are the lifeblood of old schools like BGA).

They have definitely increased their advertising budget. Seems to an outside observer as though applications may be down a bit, or perhaps, to your point, they are trying to market to a different base.

Certainly one of the things that has always differentiated BGA is the quality of their facilities, athletically and otherwise. With the opening of Ensworth, and BA's ongoing building program over the past few years, that advantage has diminished somewhat. Private schools are like any other competitive business in that respect...if you aren't differentiated, it's harder to attract "business".

IMO BGA compares with what Vanderbilt faces in the SEC. It is difficult for them to get enough good athletes into the school because of their high academic requirements. Every now and then they get enough top line players to put together a few good seasons, but it goes in cycles.

It seems other Div. 2 schools place more emphasis on working on getting athletes into school. BGA seems to rely on legacy students instead of actively looking for other avenues to get them into school. This is not a slam on BGA at all. BGA is a tough sell for athletes with less than excellant grades. They have to do more with less, which they have done before.