Lesson learned?

Solomon

As of today, UT has already made 8 offeres to in-state players for the 2007 recruiting class. Sorry, I can't give you a list of names, I'll let one of the recruiting gurus on here post that. I'm not a big recruiting guy, but I know enough to know that this is a huge difference from years past. Even though this year's class wasn't "top notch," there doesn't seem to be as many potential problems as in year's past.

So, I'll raise the question. Has Fulmer finally realized it takes more than talent to win? Has he realized that it takes coaching (hopefully), chemistry, and players who care more about that T on the side of their helmets than getting the name on the back of the jersey into the NFL? Is this a change in recruiting style, or is this 07 class merely an abarition because there is some good talent in state?

Thoughts?

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or maybe everybody realized UT is just not goin to give them what they wanted...Teebo (sp) said he hated it on ESPN and they loss a recruit on the All-Star game to UNC??? i mean come on...but honestly i hope the in state thing works for them...there is plenty of talent and playing for a place that you grew up watching counts for alot...good luck

It's fine to recruit in-state IF the talent is there to compete and win championships in the SEC. You need the heart guys, but you don't want to see them running 20 yards behind trying to catch a wide receiver with more speed and skill then they have, either.

My book, chemistry is high on the list of importance. But you can't predict chemistry until they get on campus with everyone else. You can try to get good character guys who have the stats- it's just that you fight everyone else for them as well.

I think they will have plenty of talent next year. Top 5 in the nation next year.

Top 5 in the nation, eh? That will come as a surprise to a lot of people. But then some national experts decided to pick them #3 nationally last year. The SEC is loaded next year. Fulmer would settle for top 5 in the SEC--Auburn, Alabama, LSU, Florida, Georgia have talent and good recruiting classes. Ole Miss did a remarkable job of recruiting. Tennessee lost 6 of its front 7, which was the strength of last year's team. I cannot see the players who could cause anyone to conclude that the Vols have more talent than they had last year. The redshirt class is supposed to be excellent, but they haven't played yet. The recruiting class is the lowest rated since Fulmer has been there. It seems that everyone wants to make Sanders the scapegoat, and are looking for Cutcliffe to walk on water and pull the Big Orange behind him. Better carry a canoe, just in case.

Top 5 in the nation, eh? That will come as a surprise to a lot of people. But then some national experts decided to pick them #3 nationally last year. The SEC is loaded next year. Fulmer would settle for top 5 in the SEC--Auburn, Alabama, LSU, Florida, Georgia have talent and good recruiting classes. Ole Miss did a remarkable job of recruiting. Tennessee lost 6 of its front 7, which was the strength of last year's team. I cannot see the players who could cause anyone to conclude that the Vols have more talent than they had last year. The redshirt class is supposed to be excellent, but they haven't played yet. The recruiting class is the lowest rated since Fulmer has been there. It seems that everyone wants to make Sanders the scapegoat, and are looking for Cutcliffe to walk on water and pull the Big Orange behind him. Better carry a canoe, just in case.

These so called 5 star prospects,never seem to show up on the field,only on paper as they are recruitig them.

These so called 5 star prospects,never seem to show up on the field,only on paper as they are recruitig them.

Sorry for the double post.

:(

Only time will tell!!! :thumb:

:thumb:

Only time will tell!!! :ph34r:

I heard Cutcliffe interviewed on Big Orange Sunday tonight. Be the end of the interview, it was the most excited I had been about UT football since Corey Anderson was about on the 4 yard line in Tuscolusa.

He's going to bring back some stuff that has gone missing since he left. Call me a homer, I don't care.

I'll say 10-2 is a distinct possibility this year.

I heard Cutcliffe interviewed on Big Orange Sunday tonight. Be the end of the interview, it was the most excited I had been about UT football since Corey Anderson was about on the 4 yard line in Tuscolusa.

He's going to bring back some stuff that has gone missing since he left. Call me a homer, I don't care.

I'll say 10-2 is a distinct possibility this year.

I expect a complete turn around! And with Cut back, I expect to have one of the top offenses in the SEC!!!

As of today, UT has already made 8 offeres to in-state players for the 2007 recruiting class. Sorry, I can't give you a list of names, I'll let one of the recruiting gurus on here post that. I'm not a big recruiting guy, but I know enough to know that this is a huge difference from years past. Even though this year's class wasn't "top notch," there doesn't seem to be as many potential problems as in year's past.

So, I'll raise the question. Has Fulmer finally realized it takes more than talent to win? Has he realized that it takes coaching (hopefully), chemistry, and players who care more about that T on the side of their helmets than getting the name on the back of the jersey into the NFL? Is this a change in recruiting style, or is this 07 class merely an abarition because there is some good talent in state?

Thoughts?

I have been following recruiting since they signed two quarterbacks in 1994 one from Texas named Brandon Stewart and also Archie Mannings skinny kid from New Orleans named Peyton. The next year they still a last minute guy out of Mobile, Alabama named Tee Martin. This years class wasn't as bad as some believe since last years group was named #1 by a few services and it was a top #3 by everyone else. Tennessee didn't need another top #5 class but they had overall a good one ESPN ranked it a top 20 one guy I think had it at #14 that may have been a little high but I think everyone else had it a top #25 class.

Tennessee had probably its best class of Offensive lineman. They get another top 5 ranked QB who signed with UT over Michigan they sign some very speedy guys at receiver two of which have been clocked at 4.3.

They have one signee rated a 5 star prospect that is the #1 rated JUCO DE - Walter Fisher who played HS ball in Nashville. He is already enrolled at UT. Out of the other 21 guys 10 are rated 4 star prospects.

The reason that Tennessee has offered this many in state players from what I have read is because this senior class has some pretty good prospects although I have read that a few may not make the grades and might have to be placed in a JUCO program.

10 - 2 is stretch at best. I'm surprised at you guys making these kind of predictions and getting googlie eyed over a Cutcliffe interview. This team has not done one thing to make any of you believe that. Cut is probably wondering what he got himself into. After all, I'm sure he expected to do better in the draft than he did. Now that UT is looked at as just another team with no home field advantage, UT is in for a tough season. Opponents are now expected to win their games. UT will lose at least four games and there is probably another one or two in there as well. I'm pulling for them just like you guys but get a good dose of reality. UT has to earn their way back and that has not begun yet..... :thumb: