Best HS Baseball Coach

olympian

Was I saying Reavis is the best HS baseball coach? .. no. However, Reavis is a prime example of taking little talent and turning it into alot with a 2nd year program going to regions. If Hawks has little talent, hes done for. But thats my opinion.

he basically took lavergne from nothing to state champs his dad built motlow into a powerhouse and played for legendary tullahoma coach jerry mathis

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Loudon who? No way, Anderson County has a new and improved program and they are top contenders for state. The Mavs are loaded with pitching and the mid infield is flawless. The bats are hot for the mavs too.

Loudon who? I assume I need to educate you on who Loudon is in relation to Disrtict 4-AA and Anderson County's time in the district (after they dropped down from AAA). Loudon has won 5 out of the last 6 District Championships with Lenoir City winning the other one. Anderson County did beat Loudon in 1999 in the Regional. You are just another player on this forum for Anderson County year after year that always seems to speak before the end of the season about how good you are. Anderson County has had some very good teams and will be good again this year. PLEASE let the season play out before you start talking smack again. This happens every year since coacht has become popular. You might very well win the district, region, substate, and go to the state tournament which takes a special (and a lot of luck) season. Give Coach Thompson some credit and go beat his team on the field, and if you do that, congratulations. It will be the first time that you have won District 4-AA.

Thanks for the humor. You dont know baseball and form Oakland into one of top programs in the state. Hes had great talent and hes won 2 state championships, first team in AAA to win back to back state championships, numerous district and region titles, and 4 state final 4 appearances. I know you guys love Reavis, but come on now. Having good talent is all well and good, but somebody has to develop it, know where to put them, etc etc etc. People who simply dont know baseball dont stay in the game for almost 20 seasons like hawks has

if the worst coach in this state had three or four draft picks, along with like five other D1 signees like oakland did in 1999 and 2000, they would still have a great shot at winning state. coaching has nothing to do with talent. coaches don't give talent. good coaches are marked by what they can make out of less talent or how they can take the talent they have and improve it. you say that hawks has won two state championships, but don't forget that reavis took a team with MUCH less talent in lavergne and lead them to a ring... almost two years in a row as well.

Coach George at Marshall County High has a 707-225 record over 32 years. 21 district titles, 20 region titles, 19 state quarter final appearances, 2 sectionals, 11 state tourney appearances and 3 state titles. 3 third place finishes and runner-up 4 times. I would say that should be tops on just about any list.

It would defenatly be Coach Mike Ritz at Dpbyns-Bennett.....

Career wins 774-301

Ketron (140-73), Sullivan North (113-49) DB (521-179)

Conference Championships - 40

District I Championships - 24

Region I Championships - 20

State Tourney Appearances - 21

State Championships - 3

State Runner-ups - 5

National Rankings - 2

(all these include North,Ketron,D-B )

Edited by BwAnG

These other coaches have very impressive resumes and should be considered in the mix of best coaches. But do I hear Tommy Pharr, former national coach of the year? Hes only had (and correct me if im wrong):the #2 National ranking in 2003, #3 in 2004. Won two state championships. Made the state tourney in every year he has coached, and had 3 or 4 state runner-ups. And he hes only been coaching for 9 or 10 years.

• 4 weeks later...

You think Hawks was busting with talent when he started at Oakland? No, but hes made it into one of the programs where parents want to send their kids to if they have a chance at a scholarship or maybe even being drafted. 2002 and 2003 Oakland was stacked with talent, but the made it to the state final 8 both years, finishing 3rd in 2003. Winning 2 state championships at this level is tough no matter how ya slice it, unless your name is Phil Clark or Germantown

You give Hawks way too much credit. He should have 4 or 5 titles. His players had great coaching before they came to Oakland. You can talk to anyone close to the program, former players, etc. and they will tell you that the guy does not know baseball. He may have other skills that play into the program's success but it is not his baseball knowledge that has made Oakland successful.

You give Hawks way too much credit. He should have 4 or 5 titles. His players had great coaching before they came to Oakland. You can talk to anyone close to the program, former players, etc. and they will tell you that the guy does not know baseball. He may have other skills that play into the program's success but it is not his baseball knowledge that has made Oakland successful.

Tommy Pharr by far! He should be coaching in college and D1 at that. Look at all the players he has developed over the years..................