Rankings week of 3/12-19

mjuhb

RE: Lopsided Games

Some thoughts to consider-

If a team chooses to play 110% to the final whistle- it is their right to do so. It is not illegal and should not be considered wrong as per the rules of the game.

Some believe in a different philosophy regarding this issue. They believe that a higher standard is available as an optional priority. This group believes in an old forgotten word called "Sportsmanship." To this shrinking society, sportsmanship overrides winning. Yes, sportsmanship overrides winning. This group would rather lose a game than win without sportsmanship. This group chooses not to run up the score- because they don't have too. This group would kick a ball out of bounds with an open net if the goalie was injured, rather than score the winner as the object of the game. Because without sportsmanship, winning is meaningless.

Many think those who show sportsmanship are weak, but it is sportsmanship that is the strongest player on the field always. It is noble to play 110% always, but it is better to play 110% with sportsmanship as the first priority. Something to think about.

Actually, #8, I think this is the most eloquent thing I have read on CoachT. I think I will tape it on my son's wall.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been removed from the game for two years now, but my junior year the last game was played against a terrible team (to be nameless here). They had not scored all year even played 4 girls just to meet number requirements. We went way up and our coach put restrictions on us (score on a one time volley outside 18 or a bike). Limited touches too, they never sensed the change and we even designated a "fall guy" to let them score their first goal in 2 seasons. When they scored the excitement was if they had won state, their program has gained a little momentum and now have enough boys to compete atleast. I think the 10-1 was plenty enough to show we were good, while they kept some dignity, lifes not all about winning, you'll get that when soccer is done and real life begins.

Edited by IN2VOLS

Guest Number8

I have been removed from the game for two years now, but my junior year the last game was played against a terrible team (to be nameless here). They had not scored all year even played 4 girls just to meet number requirements. We went way up and our coach put restrictions on us (score on a one time volley outside 18 or a bike). Limited touches too, they never sensed the change and we even designated a "fall guy" to let them score their first goal in 2 seasons. When they scored the excitement was if they had won state, their program has gained a little momentum and now have enough boys to compete atleast. I think the 10-1 was plenty enough to show we were good, while they kept some dignity, lifes not all about winning, you'll get that when soccer is done and real life begins.

thank you very much for sharing ur experience, but i m not 10 where people can fool me by playing "limited touches" or "Volley outside 18 or bike" and i think i m old enough to "sence" the change. If someone who worked really hard to become good at soccer, and gets "toyed" around with, it is like spitting in their face for all their efforts. sometimes u take a 17 0 beating and u move on, and next time u get beat 10 0 and the time after 9 1, then u ll start to "SENCE" the improvements, not Fasle results. Hiding the truth won't help anyone in "real life". U being a part of "the real life" should know that u have to take a beating sometimes, cause nothing is handed to u m i right???

Edited by Number8

thank you very much for sharing ur experience, but i m not 10 where people can fool me by playing "limited touches" or "Volley outside 18 or bike" and i think i m old enough to "sence" the change. If someone who worked really hard to become good at soccer, and gets "toyed" around with, it is like spitting in their face for all their efforts. sometimes u take a 17 0 beating and u move on, and next time u get beat 10 0 and the time after 9 1, then u ll start to "SENCE" the improvements, not Fasle results. Hiding the truth won't help anyone in "real life". U being a part of "the real life" should know that u have to take a beating sometimes, cause nothing is handed to u m i right???

things are different here in america i guess and you dont beat a team by 17. maybe germans are just to mean! :thumb:

Number 8, you are probably the coolest guy I've never met. Good Luck this season buddy. :thumb: God bless Deustchland!!

Everyone, let me introduce you to the official representative of Science Hill soccer, a program that has gotten to the finals a few times and failed miserably. A program that is an afterthought today.

Ladies and gentlemen, Number 8!

Maybe you don't mean to, but to the rest of the state, you represent Science Hill. I don't know why the rest of your teammates don't MAKE you shut up on here.

Hey folks, it's easy. Play with class. Don't run your mouth. Yes, you can beat a team bad without running up the score and without them knowing that you are "toying" with them. The "real" coaches and players know this. Look at the best teams in the state year-in and year-out, teams like Bearden, Farragut, Father Ryan, Houston, Hendersonville, etc. They are, by far, better than so many of their opponents. Sometimes, their schedule pits them against some "less-than-experienced" opponents. Maybe it's during the postseason. They don't beat them 17-0. And yes, their 9th grade teams could probably beat them 17-0, but it doesn't happen, so it's not a good excuse, to say that "we put our JV in the game in the second half".

Any time there is a score more than 12-0 this season, make note of it. Odds are, these teams won't go very far.

Guest Number8

Everyone, let me introduce you to the official representative of Science Hill soccer, a program that has gotten to the finals a few times and failed miserably. A program that is an afterthought today.

Ladies and gentlemen, Number 8!

Just so u know, people at school did come up and talked to me about CoachT, but it is not their right to tell me what to do. I have NEVER on this site said that either my team was good or I was good, so i don't know how u get the idea the i m the "offcial representative". there was one person who said i was from germany, which is partly true. I grew up there, but i was born in iran. And besides no one here is talking about SH and their "failur" so i don't know how u came up with that idea. The Issue is how sportsmanship is really shown, and i got my own way, and u got urs. I apolagize if i hurt anyones feelings on here but i will Never apolagize for the way i play the game.

Just so u know, people at school did come up and talked to me about CoachT, but it is not their right to tell me what to do. I have NEVER on this site said that either my team was good or I was good, so i don't know how u get the idea the i m the "offcial representative". there was one person who said i was from germany, which is partly true. I grew up there, but i was born in iran. And besides no one here is talking about SH and their "failur" so i don't know how u came up with that idea. The Issue is how sportsmanship is really shown, and i got my own way, and u got urs. I apolagize if i hurt anyones feelings on here but i will Never apolagize for the way i play the game.

Dont apologize to anyone, Number 8. Bruinsoccer is so full of it on here. He criticizes everybody and talks all kinds of crap. Just because u put ur JV on the field and they score 11 goals, doesn't mean your team wont go to state. That makes ZERO sense. Please explain that one to me.