Trying to teach my son "submarine" style pitching

ccriders25

I was waiting on someone to disagree with teachin a 9 year old to throw side-arm

and submarine pitches like that.. i think its bad for the kids arm.. it might seem good to have the only 9 years old in the league strikin em out left and right throwin side-arm.. but in the long run, its gonna be bad from his arm.. if u want your kid to progress on into high school, and college maybe, keep his pitching style normal.. he is only 9.. you might could teach like an off-speed pitch to throw side-arm, just to keep the batters off balanced. but thats too much to have a 9 year old throwin submarine style. to young i think. you want him get stronger and throw harder.. have the kid long toss every day,(every other).. and not just messin around, throwing for 10 minutes, but good long toss.. them he'll be pitchin normally and throwin gas...

hurt his arm?? submarine style is a much more natural movement for the arm. he does long toss... submarine style. and not for 10 minutes- what good does that do? a game lasts at least an hour. i make him throw on and off for a good hour to better simulate a game. and what do you mean - gonna throw gas? he throws gas now. i appreciate your input, but respectfully disagree. that brings me to another point. why worry about college? thats ten years from now. i want him to DOMINATE now.

where's slyder?? i thought for sure he would have a suggestion

Edited by ccriders25

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hurt his arm?? submarine style is a much more natural movement for the arm. he does long toss... submarine style. and not for 10 minutes- what good does that do? a game lasts at least an hour. i make him throw on and off for a good hour to better simulate a game. and what do you mean - gonna throw gas? he throws gas now. i appreciate your input, but respectfully disagree. that brings me to another point. why worry about college? thats ten years from now. i want him to DOMINATE now.

where's slyder?? i thought for sure he would have a suggestion

you misunderstood what i said.. the throwin for 10 minutes was an example for messin around.. i was suggesting what u said, having him throw from an hour. why worry about college? why worry about now.. he is 9 years old.. there arent many scouts at the 9 & under tourneys.. what is considered "gas" at the age of nine..? i dont mean for theses comments to sound smart by any means( if they do) another suggestion to help him get a stronger arm is to fill a barrel full of sand and have him hold a ball and twist it back and forth until he gets to the bottom of it..

ccrider, I think this guy may be onto something, but you know, if he long tosses submarine style he could put a good high arch on it. That would build up the strength in his arm over time.

PS. Some people on this board are so gullable....don't you agree? :thumb:

thank you for agreeing with me.. i wasnt suggesting that he long toss submarine style, i was thinking that it was understood that i ment long tossing normally.. i dont think that (long tossing submarine style) would do much good either

you misunderstood what i said.. the throwin for 10 minutes was an example for messin around.. i was suggesting what u said, having him throw from an hour. why worry about college? why worry about now.. he is 9 years old.. there arent many scouts at the 9 & under tourneys.. what is considered "gas" at the age of nine..? i dont mean for theses comments to sound smart by any means( if they do) another suggestion to help him get a stronger arm is to fill a barrel full of sand and have him hold a ball and twist it back and forth until he gets to the bottom of it..

oh, i see. sorry about the misunderstanding. no apology needed... you didnt sound smart :thumb: tell me more about this barrel of sand. what does that do?

gas at nine? i couldnt tell you mph, but the kids he's facing look like theyve still got the donut on the bat. Took, you seem to have great knowledge of the game. what do you think about my son's arm strength being developed by bowling? i may be wrong but it sounds logical to me.

This will probably get this informative thread closed but here goes.

1. I am sick of all you "name droppers!" Do I ever throw names of people I have never met around...NO!

2. Subject changing! You guys go from kick ball to bowling to throwing olympic shot puts around...NOT ME!

3. Calling this a joke! This is serious business. I talked to Bud last night (Selig) and he is considering starting a developmental league sponsored by MLB beginnig at age 9. I am in negotiations with Scott about my son as we speak (Boros) and looks promising. I will be in charge of the Southeast Regional, I had to turn down the National position. Helping Tony with his hitters (Gwynn) I will be in touch later.

4. Lastly, CC, if your son is not throwing in the mid 70's by now...play kick ball, bowling or some other sport. I have a boy going thru my throwing program and we are getting at least 21 inninigs per week. I have found that throwing seven innings on back to back days will blow his arm out and then we get it fixed, drop him down and he is on his way.

P.S. I will starting a thread on defending the "punch bunt" in kick ball this weekend between games at SportPlex. You can go to my website and sign up. www.Iinvintedthegame.com

Edited by E5

excuse my lack of baseball knowledge, but that's why i asked the question on this forum. there are a few out there making jokes i guess, but i am trying to better my son. any suggestions are appreciated

Try this.....super glue a 15-25 pound dumb bell to his throwing hand this will eventually make his throwing are longer I'm sure you see the benefits of this w/o futher detail. Or have surgery......have his elbow connected to his hip then he'll throw that way naturally!

He's a tip for speed....If you kid isn't to speedy well tie a piece of raw meat between his legs and find a dog named DIXIE and let them loose in a fenced in area. You'll see improvements almost immediately! His 60 times will be better than ever. :thumb:

Anybody know of any camps or personal instructors that specialize in “submarine” style pitching?

My son is 9 and no one pitches like that in his league. I can't help but think that if he were the only one, he would be tough to hit.

I’ve taken him to a couple fastpitch softball lessons hoping that he could make the adjustment to baseball but it hasn’t worked.

His arm is naturally very strong from that arm slot because he is in two, year – round bowling leagues. It makes sense to me that he should take advantage of his strength and pitch similar to how he bowls.

ANY SUGGESTIONS??

I'm guessing since this is not a natural style for most pitchers your son will be done pitching somewhere between his 10th and 14th year. A nine year old needs to throw fastballs and learn to hit his spots.

I'm guessing since this is not a natural style for most pitchers your son will be done pitching somewhere between his 10th and 14th year. A nine year old needs to throw fastballs and learn to hit his spots.

cc, Vultor is right, so you need to work on both his arms so he can switch during a game if one arm get tired. That way he will stay fresh and he should be able to last twice as long. Using both arms will also help him in casting while bass fishing when he is in some of those tight spots. :thumb: